Flight Sim Development, FSX, P3D, DTG, LM 32-bit & 64-bit

abermann

38 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

No, we were one of the last to create FS2004 add-ons for the simple reason that we had customers for that platform. We really do not feel the need to tell customers what they should use, we rather have them tell us what they want.

I find the decision of some competitors (and friends) to leave the 32 bit platform behind surprising. Our market research (also for what we sell for THEIR products) show that FSX still has at least a 50% market share.  We love P3d V4 and have great hopes for FSW and can't wait for it to be released out of Early Access with an SDK (before that we won't touch it). but to leave half your customers behind is a big step. A very big step.

Indeed! You're absolutely right. But I can understand their decision from a developmental and support perspective.

But it's their choice. To be honest, I was really surprised, that it happened that fast...  

gerade, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Well they feel that most users of V3 will upgrade to V4...

But that's not how it is. Me as a P3D V3 user will not upgrade soon to V4 because it's almost like V3. Kill me for it but I don't have any problems with V3.

And also, when you do a FSX version, you can almost copy it to V3 I think, as they are really in many aspects equal ;)

I read a book about this kind of strategy of joining a "disruptive" market as soon as possible and leaving your customers behind in order to stay alive. The book is called The Innovator's Dilemma if anyone wants to give it a read, but the jist of it is that this disruptive technology's 'performance' (the disruptive technology in this case is P3D v4 with its 64 bit engine, making the 'performance parameter' compatibility with addons on the market) is so low that the bigger more established companies feel it to be an unnecessary risk to jump ship on their established market (FSX with its multiple addons), but a few years down the road the disruptive technologies eventually overtake the established technologies and bigger companies won't be able to adapt in time to their customers abandoning them for this new technology.

The narrative makes sense with physical products, but with software it seems like a non-issue if said "established company" (in this case Aerosoft) were to conduct business in both markets, since that seems like an intuitively safer strategy (instead of gunning it with one market) with very little added cost to the customer.

Then again, I'm just a lowly consumer that is trying to get a job as a manufacturing engineer, what would I know? :huh:

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well they feel that most users of V3 will upgrade to V4...

I am ready to say goodbye to 32 bit sims. I recently moved from FSX to P3Dv4 (first version of P3D for me) because of the possibilities and capabilities of the new platform. "Out with the old, in with the new" I have seem my machine get more powerful over the years but my sim could not take full advantage of the advancements of PC tech. Today, this is not the case and even with my PC which is not a high end rig, I am getting a much better experience than my fully loaded FSX. My new sim will only get better as more of my add-ons become available for v4. I am very thankful to all the developers that created amazing add-ons and utilities (both payware and freeware) that kept FSX alive for so long. And how they got such complex add-ons to run smoothly in such an old sim must have taken a lot of work.

I commend Aerosoft for deciding to continue to support 32 bit sims but I also understand why some developers are so eager to put old platforms to bed. 

16 minutes ago, AirbusCG said:

The moment Dovetail descides to send a mail to Microsoft claiming that Lockheed is violating their contracts by selling consumer licenses (you all will agree that this is what they do with the Academic license) Lockheed will close P3D alltogeather. They can't afford a lawsuit with Microsoft in a case they obviously can not win.

This will be the very moment where P3D will cease existing and where all those companies who stopped developing for other plattform will get into massive trouble.

I think Microsoft are just cockahoop that they managed to sell the same license twice. ( or is there someone else we don't know about? )

• Aerosoft
8 hours ago, Dudley said:

I think Microsoft are just cockahoop that they managed to sell the same license twice. ( or is there someone else we don't know about? )

No, it was very clear, they sold the license for the professional market to Lockheed and the commercial license to Dovetail. And not to us unfortunately, lol.

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

No, it was very clear, they sold the license for the professional market to Lockheed and the commercial license to Dovetail. And not to us unfortunately, lol.

If you have root around in Steam, Dovetail have sold over 800k copies of FSX-SE, and goodness knows how much DLC. There are frequently over 10k people using FSX at a time. I shouldn't think DTG are too upset with their investment so far.  I have noted that AS are managing XP content on Steam now, does this mean we will be seeing more AS content for XP11?

11 hours ago, AirbusCG said:

The moment Dovetail descides to send a mail to Microsoft claiming that Lockheed is violating their contracts by selling consumer licenses (you all will agree that this is what they do with the Academic license) Lockheed will close P3D alltogeather. They can't afford a lawsuit with Microsoft in a case they obviously can not win.

This will be the very moment where P3D will cease existing and where all those companies who stopped developing for other plattform will get into massive trouble.

Well there is no "entertainment license" so Lockheed Martin is not going to be in violation of their contract anytime soon. NOWHERE on their site do they state their product is meant for entertainment. 

@AirbusCG Lets say there are 2 developers of flight simulator add-ons. Both companies are about the same...same number of staff both equally talented. These 2 companies decide to develop similar products (lets say one develops the 787 while the other develops the A350) and both projects start at the same time. One company develops for 2 (both 64 bit) platforms with the other develops for 5 (3 64 bit and 2 32 bit) platforms. Is it possible that one of these project will be released sooner than the other because the company can focus more resources on it's project while the other company has a much greater work load because of it's choice to support more platforms?

And when the products are released, support for one may be easier to handle than the other product because one is more likely to have more issues than the other. This is just a basic example but simplifying by supporting less platforms could be a good thing for both the manufacturer and the consumer. Shorter development times and better support are 2 benefits that are very possible.

• Aerosoft
1 hour ago, Dudley said:

If you have root around in Steam, Dovetail have sold over 800k copies of FSX-SE, and goodness knows how much DLC. There are frequently over 10k people using FSX at a time. I shouldn't think DTG are too upset with their investment so far.  I have noted that AS are managing XP content on Steam now, does this mean we will be seeing more AS content for XP11?

I think we are already the biggest publisher for X-Plane 11 add-ons and for sure we'll not slow down. These days even boxed X-Plane add-ons sell!

4 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I think we are already the biggest publisher for X-Plane 11 add-ons and for sure we'll not slow down. These days even boxed X-Plane add-ons sell!

Any more aircraft in the works?

Archived