Don't by laptop for Flightsim

Hi

In November 2015 I got a Alienware laptop for flightsim and thought it was a great idea.

12 months later it crashed became slow and now I have been out of flightsim for 9 months it kills so bad not to be able to fly.

so now I have been trying to sort things out with dell but they will not listen they took it back for repair and its come back crashed within 2 days and now it will not even turn on I am furious 

I am now trying to get a full refund through Amex under section 75.

If I can get a full refund I will go for a Chillblast flightsim PC.

If there is any other way of getting a refund could somebody please tell me.

The message of this post is don't buy a laptop for flightsim. 

I highly doubt it. If you would have asked for advice back then you would have been given the answer that laptops are no good for flightsimming. You chose to ignore that advice (or failed to ask for it) and buy that laptop anyway. As expected, it didn't do any good because it wasn't up to the job of flightsimming. It was never designed to be.

You can't blame a laptop for not doing what it was not designed to do, you simply had false expectations that didn't come true. That laptop is designed for office work and a bit of internet and maybe watch a movie, that's what it's capable of and if you did that with it I'm sure there would never have been a problem with that laptop.

Just let it be a hard lesson, always ask for advice before you buy something. I encourage you to buy a good desktop system for flightsimming, but I'm afraid you'll have to do it with the money you got because there's not likely to be a refund for that laptop.

Any warranty you may have is for repair, replacement, or a cost offset for a newer comprobable system - if you're still in the warranty period.

Patrick is spot on, Desktop is the only way to go for flightsim.

Best wishes.

• Aerosoft

We use Alienware laptops for simulation at shows and events are are very happy with it. They are build to run high loads for long duration as long as you got the right model. To say they are not suitable for simulation is unjust. I am sorry you have bad experiences but when you write that "12 months later it crashed became slow" it means that either the hardware failed (covered by warranty) or the software was messed up (restore and re-install). If the hardware did not fail it simply can't have gotten slower.

You will get a much better computer for the same money, if you buy a desktop. I would only consider a laptop if like Mathijs' case, mobility is essential.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

You will get a much better computer for the same money, if you buy a desktop. I would only consider a laptop if like Mathijs' case, mobility is essential.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I definitely agree I only fly the sim at home so I don't need a laptop.

I've always believed that. Building my own PC's since the AMD K6-2 450 was out.

PC's are easier to upgrade and change as time goes on.

• Deputy Sheriffs

You can run flightsim on a laptop these days. Just buy the right one and be ready to throw a lot of money out of your wallet :) and also be sure to go to the gym a lot because they are really heavy these days :)

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT83VR-7RF-Titan-SLI.html#hero-overview

On 7/12/2017 at 10:09 AM, Jeroen Doorman said:

You can run flightsim on a laptop these days. Just buy the right one and be ready to throw a lot of money out of your wallet :) and also be sure to go to the gym a lot because they are really heavy these days :)

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT83VR-7RF-Titan-SLI.html#hero-overview

6 grand??? I'm not trying to buy the plane lol

True, but only if it really must be mobile. They may be gaming laptops, but still desktops always perform better when it comes to FS. Desktops also cost less money, so they're always prefered over laptops. Even over gaming laptops.

I have used a Chillblast Messiah gaming laptop for the last three years with no problems. As well as the AS Airbusses, it runs the NGX, and the Majestic Q400 very smoothly. Chillblast are a British company, and are well worth a call for advice on a suitable machine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using various laptops for FSX flying for TEN YEARS and laptops never gave me problems.  Got beautiful screenshots and yes laptops can run Aerosoft airport sceneries too!!

If you want fancy add on planes such as PMDG MD-11s, 747s, etc or Ifly 737s or Captain Sim 707s or 727s  that require powerful resources,  you will be better off using desktop pcs BUT if you are using freeware add on planes, laptops are perfect which I have been using for past 10 years along with payware airport sceneries which run fine in laptops!!

(Hoping that Mathijs would not challenge me by telling me laptops can run Aerosoft Airbus planes)  :):)

Regards,

Aharon

Archived