Quick poll about STEAM

STEAM?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use STEAM to buy and download products?

• Yes
    • No
    • Kittens

• Aerosoft

Justa  very quick poll. Just to get an idea.

It would help us a lot if you would spend a moment writing about why you like STEAM or why you do not like it. Personally I love it as a consumer because it is just so easy (even though their app sucks balls) but as a publisher hate the fact they eat up 30% of every sale. It does make creating smaller products a lot harder.

• Aerosoft
2 minutes ago, Er!k said:

I use it outside the FS world... But for P3D not going to use it if ever applicable.

Why?

I love the answer because as said it is hard to loose 30% on a sale but it's important to understand why.

• Aerosoft

Btw, the kittens is of course a trap to get rid of the 11 year old girls on the forum...

1 minute ago, FlavioSSA said:

DoveTail way of installing/updating addons is a complete mess. I only buy addons outside Steam now.

On the STEAM platform?

I don´t know if i understood your question right but, yes. For example:

- I had one addon for FSX-SE that the developer released an update to it and send to Dovetail to release thru Steam. But Dovetail waited more than a MONTH to release it on Steam. (Update issue)

- I have an airport from SIM720 (EGEO) bought thru Steam. When i installed it, it messed all with my scenery.cfg file. (Luck of me had a backup scenery.cfg) (Install issue)

- I had a DLC called Air Alaska bought from Steam too. To work, it depends on a external EXE (Executable file) and this info was not available in the Steam product page. So, my FSXSE allways open this EXE file now, even i won´t use the Air Alaska addon.(Install issue)

- And, a well know problem with planes released thru Steam, that they won´t come with any paint (liveries). But this is a well know situation by now.

After what i described above, i don´t go this path anymore and buy my addons directly from the developers or producers like Aerosoft.

For other software that has nothing to do with air simulators like "My Paperboat", "Onsi", "World of Subways", etc for example i use Steam platform perfectly well.

Is it what you asked??? :)

I do not like the way with the updates. I like to safe the installer on my hard Disk. So i can go back to the Last version if something goes wrong with an new update. So i have more Control on my system...

I like to buy direct at the Developer. Direct Sales are better in my view.

I find Steam convenient for keeping my games up-to-date. But with add-ons you have to take so much in account (FSUIPC, SODE, XML entries etc.). Just like post above I would like to have control.

• Aerosoft
12 minutes ago, Er!k said:

I find Steam convenient for keeping my games up-to-date. But with add-ons you have to take so much in account (FSUIPC, SODE, XML entries etc.). Just like post above I would like to have control.

60% of our support is now about these issue for the non-STEAM platforms. It's a big mess, so any help to keep the basic files up to date seems okay to us.

• Aerosoft
11 minutes ago, AirbusCG said:

My main problem is that if you buy an addon on Steam for FSX:Steam and then change to another simulator like P3Dv4 you can not use the addon in v4. Even when the addon is available for that sim from the developers Steam will not give you that option. To my understanding you buy ONLY the right to use the addon in FSX:Steam, even if the developer also sells it with the same license for Prepar3D.

Okay, that is a good point I never even considered, thanks for that insight.

If that happens with any Aerosoft add-on talk to us because we will do our best to handle that gracefully.

All the Sim add-ons I have are off non-steam for FSX. I only use Steam for Games. I like buying stuff off Steam FSX wise because its more safer and easier on my mind in my opinion. I trust Simmarket for my FSX more than anyone! :D 

The question is not clear if it is only FS related.

I like Steam very much for all other games, but not for FS.

One point is of course, I do just use P3D. But even when I imagine that P3D would be available on Steam, I do not think it will work.

First reason is, that Steam is not made for hundreds of DLCs. They do not have categories or whatever. My personal backup folders are categorisized into Planes, Sceneries and Tools. Sceneries are then inside separate country folders. Imagine the mess to have that in Steam?!

Second: if every addon developer would strictly follow for 100% the Steam guide or whatever it is, it could maybe work. But currently, you have to make so many additions by hand: copy that file there, change this or that. All that would mess Steam up.

With all my other games I like Steam: login, install and forget.

But that would be never possible with the current FS

Yes, but not for flightsim. For that, I prefer to go directly to the developer/publisher.

Also, I'd like to maintain more control over my add-ons than Steam allows.

15 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Okay, that is a good point I never even considered, thanks for that insight.

If that happens with any Aerosoft add-on talk to us because we will do our best to handle that gracefully.

I second the sentiment regarding the inability to transfer licenses. I purchased Greenland Nuuk and KTNP from Steam, and only got to use them for 2 weeks before I switched to P3D full time. I tried refunding, but since I spent more than 2 hrs in FSX itself, I was denied the refund, even though I only flew to each airport for like 30 mins each. I personally will never buy through Steam again, and I think it's a much better model to go direct rather than through Steam.

Have no idea what people are talking about here. You buy the addon and Steam immediately install it into your sim just like an outside Steam installer does just that you dont have to do anything by yourself.

And btw uninstalling is one simple click as is installing again. And you should be able to manually move or copy to another sim as far as I understand. Not 100% sure as I havent tried.

• Deputy Sheriffs
58 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

60% of our support is now about these issue for the non-STEAM platforms. It's a big mess, so any help to keep the basic files up to date seems okay to us.

OK, but how many sales runs through Steam compared to your own shop and other shops outside Steam?

love steam - love steam achievements - love to see what my friends play - love that I can lose my disc to my cat/kid and dont care - love to reinstall games by single login 

dont like how they handle dlc/addons updates to often kill these stuff etc 

Over all for standalone games a awesome thing for platforms naaaaaaaaaaa

Personal View
I like to have standalone installer because I use multi platform flight simulator (FSX Box, FSX:Steam, P3D) and I want to have backup installer. Steam DLC is cloud backup.

What if Dovetail put DLC away from store, then how can I reinstall DLC that I had purchased. It is only one thing I afraid to buy DLC for flight sim on Steam.

Also as comment #12 said. That add-on from Steam can't use with another flight simulator platform.

I don't want to repurchase again when buying direct from developer can use in the multi platform.
Another reason, I like to collect box edition. Just to see them on my shelf, plus I can touch the physical disk with some of manual / airport chart that come with box edition is a better feelings than a digital download.

People that are using FSX:SE or FSW are likely not to use that platform forever. Eventually, they'll move on and they shouldn't be restricted to Steam. If they move on from FSW to P3D v4, all add-ons bought on Steam suddenly become useless because you can't install Steam add-ons on P3D v4.

Archived