P3D V3 and V4 Frame Rate Comparisons

DaveCT2003

Our group has one person running a 2nd generation i5 with a GTX1050 and he's able to run with excellent frame rates with Dynamic Lighting on. With V4, we've moved from the CPU being all important to the graphics card being equally if not more important.  A good CPU is still a requirement, but I don't think we'll see people chasing overclocking (unless that's just their thing).

The i5 mentioned above performs far better than my i7-4770K with all 4 cores running at 4.5GHz and a GTX960. On that i7 system I struggle to run with Dynamic Lighting on using some payware airliners while at some payware airports. Those days are about over though as I have a new graphics card coming. A member of my group just bought me a GTX1080 which arrives and goes into my system this Friday - Thanks Sid, you're a PRINCE AMONG PRINCES!

EDIT:   I just tested Dynamic Lighting in Internal and External aircraft views at six (6) International Payware Airports from six (6) different airport scenery developers.  In all but one case Dymanic Lighting produced a 50% reduction in frames running under the GTX960.  Again, those with a GTX1050 to GTX1080 are having far, FAR better results.  For my testing on the GTX960 I had the P3DV4 Frame Limiter set to 30. 

With Dynamic Lighting OFF I had 29 fps internal and external at all but one airport, and roughly a 50% drop in frames with Dynamic Lighting ON. The one exception I had 18fps with Dynamic Lighting OFF, and 13 fps with Dynamic Lighting ON (this was one of the largest airports in the world done in excellent detail by the developers so it's understandable that the frames would be a bit lower).

I hope this is helpful to you guys.  I'll report back with more results under the GTX1050 and GTX1080 in about a week.

• Developer

Hi Dave,

you statement about the the relevance of fast GPU in P3D V4 is seen here too. With my now 7 years old System (i7 X980 3,33Ghz) and a old GTX480 GPU I had in FSX moderate Frames with very restrictive setting. In April this year I change the GPU to the GTX 1080, which results in moderate better frames, but not in a extrem way. When using FSX or P3D V3 the 5 cores of the CPU (limited by the mask to keep CPU0 free from FS handlings) running in Full load. Now with P3D V4, the CPU is more or less in idle.

But, now the GPU can show what see is able to handle. With all shadows active and middle setting for the rest, I get best frames, even on complex sceneries.

I think, that users of older GPU's then 9xx series will get in trouble with V4, when they try to use all the nice visual effect, like shadows and lighting. It will maybe possible to restrict the setting to get flyable results, but then V4 looks like a old FSX with medium setting.

I made a lot of test the last weeks regarding the impact of dyn Lights in sceneries. In my testcases (GAP Stuttgart, MAF Frankfurt and Sim-wings La Palma) have no massive frames Difference by use of moderate Lightsources. But I see impacts in frames, when the lights are not correct configured.

So, the developers will need some more time to understand, how this lighting and the modelings needs to be generated, to understand which way is the best in results.

This is the same situation we had 10 years ago, when FSX was released and we need to unterstand how the objects needs to be designed and grouped, so that the FSX can handle it in a optimized way. This is a longer process, with new findings very day.

But one thing is already clear: For using the nice new optical features, specially shadows and dyn lights, you don't need the fastest CPU, but you need a best GPU with fast memory, 2GB as LM see as minimum on there System specification, is maybe not enought, the recommanded 4GB I think is the minimum.

One point I can report from my system: When I have 100 frames (without cockpit or complex aircraft, clear weather) and I look the frames to 30, the frames will go below this limits, like 20 for example. So on my system, locking of Frames has no benefit at the moment.

Thanks to an amazing gift from a very appreciative member of the group I fly with, last night I was able to swap out my GTX960 for a new GTX1080/11GBs. With the upgrade I am now fully able to utilize the full range of P3DV4 graphics capabilities and all I can say is HOLY SMOKES! I knew I'd get better fps (twice the fps with all reflections, dynamic lighting, light bloom set and sliders mostly maxed out, and recall that all those settings were mostly off under the GTX960 in my post above), but I had no idea just how dramatic the graphics would change / improve, especially at night. I already thought the graphics I was seeing were excellent, but now I know what excellent graphics really is. If I'd known it would make this much difference I would have grabbed a GTX1080 long before now. Those already running a 1080 likely know what I'm talking about, anyone considering a graphics card update, well, I'd recommend the upgrade!

Oliver's advice above rings true unless one disabled reflections and Dynamic lighting, and it's still worth moving to P3DV4 even if you can't take advantage of the enhanced graphics (I couldn't really use Reflections in P3DV3 under a GTX960 given that I fly high end airliners at large 3rd party airports).  But the GTX960 did work pretty well for me running PMDG and Aerosoft Airliners at large third party airports so long as reflections, dynamic lighting were disabled, graphics sliders (settings) were set medium to low and no Anti-Aliasing used - which more or less looked like the graphics under FSX on a 4K TV (AA is generally not needed for a 4K).

It was a given that we'd see a FPS improvement and would be able to take advantage of more P3DV4 graphics capabilities, but I was still a bit overwhelmed at just how much of a difference it made!  For anyone flying high end airliners at payware airportcontemplating a similar move (GTX900 Series or lower to a GTX1080) I think you will be very happy with the upgrade!

Ok so I am in a similar situation seeking to upgrade hardware to get more out of P3D v4. I got an i7-4790k @ 4 GHz not OC, ASRock Z97 Extreme4, 16 GB DDR-1600, Windows 10 and the MSI GTX 970. Good thing I was talked out of replacing the whole thing as I initally intended to get myself i7-7700k, but the general consensus is that CPU-wise I wouldn't gain much (if at all) compared to what I have now. So that gives me more focus on the graphics side. And I am a little undecided if I should go with the GTX 1070 or GTX 1080ti.

I wonder if it's worth the extra €300-400. At one point I don't want to get the 1070 and realize I should have gone all the way with the 1080ti.... and on the other hand I don't want to get the 1080ti and realize the 1070 would have been enough for my purposes. I got spoiled beyond recovery of the new dynamic lighting system. That's one thing I can't fly without anymore. Other nice features that would be nice is to extend LOD and autogen draw distance, although it's not that much of a biggy like dynamic lighting. And btw I got a 600W power unit. I guess that should be more than enough for the 1070, but if the 1080ti needs more that just adds to the price of upgrading to a 1080ti. Thanks for potential ideas.

Cheers,

Amadeo

34 minutes ago, Aviator1985 said:

Ok so I am in a similar situation seeking to upgrade hardware to get more out of P3D v4. I got an i7-4790k @ 4 GHz not OC, ASRock Z97 Extreme4, 16 GB DDR-1600, Windows 10 and the MSI GTX 970. Good thing I was talked out of replacing the whole thing as I initally intended to get myself i7-7700k, but the general consensus is that CPU-wise I wouldn't gain much (if at all) compared to what I have now. So that gives me more focus on the graphics side. And I am a little undecided if I should go with the GTX 1070 or GTX 1080ti.

I wonder if it's worth the extra €300-400. At one point I don't want to get the 1070 and realize I should have gone all the way with the 1080ti.... and on the other hand I don't want to get the 1080ti and realize the 1070 would have been enough for my purposes. I got spoiled beyond recovery of the new dynamic lighting system. That's one thing I can't fly without anymore. Other nice features that would be nice is to extend LOD and autogen draw distance, although it's not that much of a biggy like dynamic lighting. And btw I got a 600W power unit. I guess that should be more than enough for the 1070, but if the 1080ti needs more that just adds to the price of upgrading to a 1080ti. Thanks for potential ideas.

Cheers,

Amadeo

You are right, the i7 7700k isn't much of a step from the 4790k, you would also want  a new motherboard and DDR4 memory, not cheap for perhaps 10% improvement!   If your current motherboard supports SLI, you could add another GTX 970, P3D V4 does support it. Probably the cheapest way to go for a big performance upgrade.

Archived