Hardware Help....

Hi I'm Olivier, i a considering an upgrade to my PC and im stuck.

I want to upgrade my i5 6600 (non k to an i7 6700k) - not having issues with choice as i can get a i7 6700k for £200 through a maplin deal :) (of an old system that they disassembled. But thats beside the point.

i am looking to also upgrade my GPU from a GTX 960 to either a GTX 980ti or a GTX 1070, (getting second hand) i cant decide..  bearing in mind i am running a 1080p monitor soon to be upgraded to a 1440p or 4k or ultrawide 1440p monitor but not within the next 1-2 years.

which is better as they both perform the same (give or take) but one has 2gb more Vram would that benefit me as it will cost £70 more to go for a gtx 1070 over the gtx 980ti - getting of torn down pc for £290. 

Thx Olivier

Sorry if in wrong area just move it (new Around here) 

• Aerosoft

For that sim your GPU is all important, far more than the CPU. Get that 1070, you will not be sorry. Besides, getting a fast CPU later is easy, loads of them floating around on the second hand market at this moment. Also keep an eye on AMD, they got CPU's that work fine on P3D and are fantastic value for money.

• 4 months later...

After 6 months of saving up I finally managed to afford the EVGA Gtx 1070, and I am happy with the improvent in Fps, but the settings I use are great for PMDG Aircraft. BUT the fslabs A320Checklist becomes nearly unflyable

can Simone who has go similar specs share their settings. 

I5 6600 non k @4.5 Ghz (non k overclock) 

Evga Gtx 1070 FTW

275gb Ssd (os)

2X 1Tb Hdd for P3d v4 

thanks in advance 

Olivier 

Why did you install P3D on the HDD instead of on the SSD? If there's one application that absolutely needs to be on an SSD it's P3D. What good is an SSD if you don't put your most demanding program on it?

I recommend replacing those HDDs with SSDs.

PS for the comparison, here's my settings:

i7-2600 @3,4 GHz (not overclocked)

GeForce GTX 960

1x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB (Windows and other applications)

1x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 750 GB (P3D)

1x Toshiba 1 TB HDD (storage)

Runs perfectly smooth, nothing to complain.

5 hours ago, AusomeOllie10 said:

After 6 months of saving up I finally managed to afford the EVGA Gtx 1070, and I am happy with the improvent in Fps, but the settings I use are great for PMDG Aircraft. BUT the fslabs A320Checklist becomes nearly unflyable

can Simone who has go similar specs share their settings. 

I5 6600 non k @4.5 Ghz (non k overclock) 

Evga Gtx 1070 FTW

275gb Ssd (os)

2X 1Tb Hdd for P3d v4 

thanks in advance 

Olivier 

Oli, this are the settings I use but I have an i7, 780 ti, I hope this helps;

Please login to display this image.

• 1 year later...

Archived