Tankering Calculations

I searched the PFPX forum, regarding Tankering calculations and i couldn't find something that indicates the correct usage of this feature!

I apologize for bringing that issue up again but someone with knowledge over this subject, will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Heron

Hi there,

Basically, you put the amount of fuel you would like to tanker (i.e. to take fuel with you and plan to have it left over at your destination for the next leg) in the "Tanker" field.

For example, your dispatcher/company might say that they would like to have 5 tonnes left over at the end of the flight for the next leg, for the reasons discussed below.  You already plant to have 2.7 tonnes planned to be left over at the end of the flight in reserves (reserves, holding, alternate fuel etc.).  You would then tanker an additional 2.3 tonnes to your destination.

Airlines will usually tanker when the cost of fuel at the destination is expensive.  An example would be Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.  The fuel there is more expensive than in Melbourne or Sydney, where most of the flights come from, so the airlines tend to bring some fuel with them for the next leg.  Other reasons could be that fuel at the destination is in shortage, contaminated, or of poor quality etc.

Airlines will know exactly what their operating costs are in terms of carrying the extra weight of tanker fuel, as well as fuel costs at origin and destination.  With this, their computer/dispatcher will give a suggested tanker load for a flight.  Their computer/dispatcher has worked out the exact amount of fuel to take with you, and to possibly upload at destination, to make the flight as economic as possible.   The airline may also have limits on when they will tanker, and how much, sometimes up to a maximum figure below MLW, or they may not tanker if the destination is forecast to have a wet or contaminated runway etc.

For us with PFPX, we can't really calculate accurately when to tanker without knowing all the costs involved.

Cheers,

Rudy

Hi Rudy,

Thank so much for your reply, i had the general idea that it can calculate an amount of fuel needed to operate next sector, regardless of the cost!  

So, i have to calculate the fuel needed for next sector and add the amount myself.

Cheer's

Heron

Archived