Scenery for P3Dv4 - General Question

HJMX

Some Aerosoft titles are already available for P3Dv4. Thank you for this. I would like to ask if these scenery titles have been exported using P3Dv4 SDK tools? This is because there are some discussions about massive FPS drop when it comes to Dynamic Lighting and certain AA modes.

I hope I am allowed to cite Robert Randazzo (PMDG):

"...

Before you install ANYTHING into Prepar3D v4, you should take the time to research whether the developer merely adjusted their installer to account for Prepar3D v4, or whether the developer actually took the time to re-export BOTH the code elements AND the model elements of a product using the developer/SDK tools that were provided by Lockheed Martin for use with Prepar3D v4.

Through our efforts to trouble shoot user installations that exhibit significant FPS drops when using dynamic lighting, we have found a direct correlation between performance while using dynamic lighting and whether-or-not the scenery was created using the Prepar3D v4 SDK tools.  Users who turn on the landing lights in a Prepar3D v4 exported scenery will generally see only a slight performance hit, but if the same user then moves to an airport that was exported using the FSX, FSX-SE or Prepar3D v3 scenery tools- that user will almost always see a significant performance hit.  This is to be expected, since the new exporting tools contain many of the programmatic elements needed to allow things like dynamic lighting to work properly with the Prepar3D v4 rendering process.

... "

The full text can be found in PMDGs General Forum:

Harry

• Deputy Sheriffs

That is really a good question. At the moment I personally only tested if old sceneries are working. As result I have a lot imported to v4. Like Imaginesim, LatinVFR, T2G, RFSB, FSDG, some aerosoft, etc.

I will take a closer look to the dynamic lightning issue.

If you look to the compatibility posting, you will see that a lot addons are only straight portover. 

The complete reexporting in v4 SDK is a big task. I think that will depend on the developers.

Is it safe to say that the sceneries which contains partly P3Dv4 features are exported with the v4 SDK (like Jo Erlends work) and that other ports like Balearic Islands and Valencia which are ports are not?

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 2 Stunden , Er!k sagte:

Is it safe to say that the sceneries which contains partly P3Dv4 features are exported with the v4 SDK (like Jo Erlends work) and that other ports like Balearic Islands and Valencia which are ports are not?

One more thing to add. The files of an airport often consist of different SDK. Because newer SDK lacked features that FS2004 offered. Only a new v4 feature doesn't mean the whole airport is done with v4. So reexporting in v4 would often mean redevelopment. Pure v4 Airports we will see sometimes in future. The v4 SDK offers now more than the last ones.

That is the reason why FSX and P3D was backwards compatible. An pure v4 airport would mean incompatibility with FSX and older P3D versions. That will lead to only P3Dv4 installers, with maybe after some time installers for the older versions. If all happens like the rumors tell, the transition from FSX to v4 will be fast (faster than 2004 to FSX).

That mean no more addons for FSX. The future belongs v4+!

I would also like to know the answer to the original poster's question, as there is a massive drop in fps (from 70+ down to 10-15) when Dynamic Lighting is enabled at Vaernes, for instance.

• Deputy Sheriffs
Vor 1 Stunde, Kevin J sagte:

I would also like to know the answer to the original poster's question, as there is a massive drop in fps (from 70+ down to 10-15) when Dynamic Lighting is enabled at Vaernes, for instance.

Hi, Vaernes was in development for a long time. P3Dv4 is released since a few weeks. Vaernes offers a multi platform installer. It is very likely that vaernes is not a pure v4 development.

But maybe @Jo Erlend has an idea what can be done to solve the fps issue with dynamic lightning.

But keep in mind, even this one can be fixed, with pmdg, the upcoming crj, and the reworked airbus we have planes that use dynamic lightning. We will have this issues at every old airport.

Hi guys I've got a question relating to the topic. I've got Aerosoft's Balearen X Evo 1.5, installed it into V4 but the dynamic lighting doesn't work, no matter where I move the plane (A2A Comanche, released yesterday for V4). In LatinVFR's LEBL it works without problems. I had a chat with one of the developers of that company and they confirmed that they have exported the airport through the V4 SDK.

Is this therefor my fault or do Aerosoft need to update their product? It seems strange to me since it's working for everybody else I guess...

• Deputy Sheriffs
vor 21 Minuten, elButz sagte:

Hi guys I've got a question relating to the topic. I've got Aerosoft's Balearen X Evo 1.5, installed it into V4 but the dynamic lighting doesn't work, no matter where I move the plane (A2A Comanche, released yesterday for V4). In LatinVFR's LEBL it works without problems. I had a chat with one of the developers of that company and they confirmed that they have exported the airport through the V4 SDK.

Is this therefor my fault or do Aerosoft need to update their product? It seems strange to me since it's working for everybody else I guess...

What lightning do you mean? The lights of the aircraft or the lights at the apron?

Exporting with the the v4 SDK does not mean, a feature is automatically included. You have manually add light sources as dynamic lightning. In the changelog of Balearen 1.05 I can't find anything.

• Aerosoft

If it states it is a straight port it means no P3d V4 specific functions and compiled with the old SDK. As you see some have already been recompiled.

However....  Dynamic lightning is highly depending on the performance of you graphics card. I got three machines here, one with a 1080 where I see hardly any drop in FPS, one 1070 where I loose a few frames and one older card (don;t even know which one it is) where the frame drop can be 35%.

Of course all new versions will be converted with the new compilers, for now we just want to get things available. And of course we'll overhaul older airports, but doing so can take up to a week of rather hard work. And with 200+ airports that's just not as easy as for a company that has a few add-ons.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask why Aerosoft V4 products (I'm thinking Bergen, Malaga and Twin Otter) are installing in the main P3D V4 folder under Ecosystems and SimObjects?  My understanding is that LM intended all add-ons to install outside of P3D V4 so that, if a complete reinstall is needed then it doesn't require the re-installation of all of our add-on sceneries and aircraft.  I think that there should maybe be an xml file in My Documents pointing to the product in an Add-On folder whilst leaving P3D clean.  Have I misunderstood this?

Archived