A320 Pitch Angle during Landing?

Hello guys,

recently I learned a lot about the landing technique but one thing i have to admit i don't really understand. When I do my landings, I almost always have a pitch angle of about approximately 6 degrees on touchdown. But in forums and videos of real life a320 landings you can clearly see that they usually dont exceed a pitch angle of 5 degrees. How is that possible? I use the "official" A320 landing technique as stated in the real world manuals (30 brake, 30-20 idle,...). But it seems like I still do something wrong when I have a pitch of 6, even if I usually get smooth landings of below 100 fpm with this technique. 

During final approach, I have a pitch angle of about 2 degrees (flaps full config), which also is good as stated in the fcom. Usually in order to do that I use a slightly higher speed than given in the MCDU.

To be honest, Im not really sure wether this is a problem of my landing technique or wether it's just an inaccuracy by the AS A320.

Im very confused , would appreciate it if you guys help me out. I will also try to add a little video tomorrow which shows my landing technique, because it might also be the case that Im just doing something wrong.

On 6/7/2017 at 6:19 PM, datguytho said:

Hello guys,

recently I learned a lot about the landing technique but one thing i have to admit i don't really understand. When I do my landings, I almost always have a pitch angle of about approximately 6 degrees on touchdown. But in forums and videos of real life a320 landings you can clearly see that they usually dont exceed a pitch angle of 5 degrees. How is that possible? I use the "official" A320 landing technique as stated in the real world manuals (30 brake, 30-20 idle,...). But it seems like I still do something wrong when I have a pitch of 6, even if I usually get smooth landings of below 100 fpm with this technique. 

During final approach, I have a pitch angle of about 2 degrees (flaps full config), which also is good as stated in the fcom. Usually in order to do that I use a slightly higher speed than given in the MCDU.

To be honest, Im not really sure wether this is a problem of my landing technique or wether it's just an inaccuracy by the AS A320.

Im very confused , would appreciate it if you guys help me out. I will also try to add a little video tomorrow which shows my landing technique, because it might also be the case that Im just doing something wrong.

The A320´s  have an autocall "Pitch" wich varies between models (A318/19/20). In the A320 when in Flare mode this call triggers when you reach the pitch 11º  in order to prevent an tailstrike. However, the "real" clearence is 13.6º of pitch. Why am I saying this? Simple: When you´re on approach there are so many factors that can influence your ptich attitude on flare such as weight, speed, flaps an most of all : Aircraft Energy. You must control the aircraft energy in order to not, as we say "comming in hot!" or "swinging dead". Energy management is the key for your approach and flare. You said that in some videos an pitch 5º or 6º is mostly common, and realy it is... But kept in mind that an A320 with Flaps in CONF3 is more likely to approach with an higher AOA than a Conf FULL. Stay between the ground clearence and avoid the "pitch" autocall and you should be fine. 

Cheers!

Note: For Buses enthusiastics: FCOM - DSC-20-30- Ground Clearence

• Deputy Sheriffs

Excellent post but two remarks. 

The pitch call out is an option and not every aircraft has it, especially the older ones don't have this. 

Second, the AoA is a bit lower with an F3 approach. You mean the pitch angle is higher. 

Thank you for the answer. The reason I asked this because I wasn't sure if my landing technique is maybe not correct. As you confirmed, an "optimal" (leaving weather conditions etc aside) conf full a320 landing would be 5-6 degrees. i always get landings between 6-7 degrees, and if i didnt increase the vapp by a bit (2-3 kts) everytime in order to get a 2 degrees nose angle approach i would probably be landing with a nose pitch of 7-8 all the time. and i don't know what causes this problem, which really annoys me. i thought that it may be the case that the aerosoft a320 is a little inaccurate in the behaviour close to the runway. or it maybe is caused by the flight sim itself, as p3d and fsx don't simulate the ground effect.

Make sure not to flare the Airbus until it touches down like you'd do with a GA aircraft.
Airliners are made to be "flown into the ground". Sure, you flare it, but fly it controlled into the gorund and don't flare it until it almost stalls.

9 hours ago, Frank Docter said:

Excellent post but two remarks. 

The pitch call out is an option and not every aircraft has it, especially the older ones don't have this. 

Second, the AoA is a bit lower with an F3 approach. You mean the pitch angle is higher. 

Indeed The Dude! These calls are optional. We can always do old fashioned screaming "pitch!!!". Sorry about the AOA. My mistake! 

Archived