Prepar3D V4 and Aerosoft

• Aerosoft

Just a quick word on P3D V4.

We have been testing this internally for some time and are very enthusiastic about this new release. It's stable, it's fast and it compatible to a certain degree. Scenery seems to be rather easy to 'make work', aircraft of course have to be compiled again got 64 bits. This is NOT a trivial task. At Aerosoft however we rather not make things 'just work' without making use of the new features us the sim. So how older products are updated depends. Most older stuff will be made compatible, but newer stuff most likely will be changed to make use of the new features.  New releases will most likely be made compatible from day one. 

Just keep in mind we have over 300 add-ons and not a handful as most of our competitors. As a principle (not a rule) we will work from the newer or most important products backwards. That means the A320 is one of the first that we'll work on. It's also by far the most to convert btw.

How enthusiastic we are is best shown in an image showing our Bali. That is not at max settings or anything, but if you check the image you see it is looking more then okay. And it does so at 180 fps. P3D V3 did the same at 90 fps.

Please login to display this image.

Great to see so much excitement from you and other devs about V4 and the new features that can be taken advantage of. Appreciate AS commitment to make things compatible as well even though it takes time. Thanks for all the dedication and time. Look forward to using them in V4

One serious suggestion: Please indicate those addons made compatible as "Prepar3d4" (or, even better, make a separate compatibility icon for them), not just "Prepar3d". There was quite some confusion about versions in the past.

Thank you and looking forward to using your products in Prepar3d4

Michael

vor 53 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

New releases will most likely be made compatible from day one. 

What are the plans in regard of future scenery / aircraft releases? Will there be installers only for P3D V4 (64bit) or also for P3D V3 (32 bit), which basically is an other platform?

Would be good to see P3D V3 being still supported, at least for the transition time.

Chris

Sounds really exciting. I was worried that the new features of V4 could impact fluency or fps in the sim. But 180 fps in V4 in the same scenario as compared to 90 fps in V3 is a strong argument to switch asap!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Although you will never notice the difference between 90 and 180 fps. And just wait till all those 4096 clouds, 5 layers and 4096 liveries/ground textures are installed. On top of that sloppy dev work because OOM is no problem anymore. And do not forget 8 million speedtrees. Dynamic reflections anyone?

Any simulator can still bring every system to its knees. ;) 

• Aerosoft
27 minutes ago, Frank Docter said:

Although you will never notice the difference between 90 and 180 fps. And just wait till all those 4096 clouds, 5 layers and 4096 liveries/ground textures are installed. On top of that sloppy dev work because OOM is no problem anymore. And do not forget 8 million speedtrees. Dynamic reflections anyone?

Any simulator can still bring every system to its knees. ;) 

Very true. But still, I love this new version. Here is Kilimanjaro shown with high settings at 140 fps. Other than the scenery it's default. Look at that weather...

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs
7 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Very true. But still, I love this new version.

Yep, V3 will be history on my computer starting next week. 

Here's a preliminary compatibility list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NqrnrO-LOna7TWBYwC2PNfqlFrlyUNRa0E2VLkwpK1o/edit#gid=1423092427

which looks quite promising. Initially, I wanted to got with Prepar3d3 aund Prepar3d4 in parallel for some time, but might retire version 3 pretty soon.

Kind regards, Michael 

I love the pictures and the performance, and of course it will be on my disk drive soon after release. Unfortunately, we are missing FSUIPC, so a lot of external stuff simply won't work. Nearly every VA requires you to run an ACARS program, and to  my knowledge, they all require FSUIPC to operate.  It's a severe limitation.   I can't imagine that the problem will persist, as FSUIPC is one of the most consistent sellers on retail sites, but it will take time. I am surprised Aerosoft aren't considering it.  I would like to know what sort of spec Mathijs' computer is?

3 minutes ago, Eric Bakker said:

Pete is on vacation. :)

He might look at it when he is back

I have got the impression he's not overly keen.

According to one of the videos, the future of FSUIPC is still open. Pete "might" consider porting it (he said something vaguely to that effect), LM themselves might implement the functionality, or someone else might take up the task.

I am pretty sure it will be implemented in one way or another, but certainly not on day 1.

Kind regards, Michael

• Aerosoft

Keep in mind that almost none of our products needs FSUIPC and indeed Pete is not looking forward to supporting another simulator. He always said that FSUIPC was a substitute for simConnect and always told people to use that first of all. In fact, in MANY parts FSUIPC is an overlay of simConnect, just another layer. It was (and is) important for backwards compatibility, but really, most devs should have gone the simConnect way around 2014.

My computer is a 2014 i7 6 core cpu (overclocked to 3.3) with a 1070 graphics card. Nothing really special,  sub $1000 system.

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Let's see. I honestly believe P3D V3 will be a dinosaur in a matter of months. V4 is just so much better.

I would agree except for two things...some users are stuck with using 32bit operating systems eg laptops...they may be beginner users but they are an important market.  

The second is the need for FSUIPC for those with virtual airlines.  I think X plane will win a few of these VA users if they do not sort it out soon.

i'm deninitely making the switch once all the main addons and the IVAO client are compatible. Latter needs FSUIPC for stuff like transponder synch with the aircraft. Most weather engines need FSUIPC as well, so this should be interesting. 

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Keep in mind that almost none of our products needs FSUIPC and indeed Pete is not looking forward to supporting another simulator. He always said that FSUIPC was a substitute for simConnect and always told people to use that first of all. In fact, in MANY parts FSUIPC is an overlay of simConnect, just another layer. It was (and is) important for backwards compatibility, but really, most devs should have gone the simConnect way around 2014.

My computer is a 2014 i7 6 core cpu (overclocked to 3.3) with a 1070 graphics card. Nothing really special,  sub $1000 system.

In FS98 simconnect was almost useless, and Adam Szofran came up with FS6IPC and  Pete Dowson continued it.  I think that stigma has lived on to this day.  And certainly, many addons carried on with FSUIPC of course.   I note that FSW comes with a version (2 in fact) of simconnect.  I remember getting some support for the A320 and Tom sayiing I should install Simconnect, and me thinking 'What do you want that thing for?'.  

• Aerosoft

As I written, these days FSUIPC is not a replacement of simConnect as it used to be, it's just another way to connect to simConnect and as such not needed. Redoing any add-on to use simConnect is always always possible and not too complex. That's not a negatory remark towards Peter, FSUIPC was absolutely incredibly important for a long time.

As far as Aerosoft products go, I would be very happy to see the Catalina, Twin Otter, Bronco and Airbus package available for P3Dv4. Also the Hughes H-1 if that is possible. :)

It will be history on mine too....eventually.....I hope they managed to fix the awful aircraft external lights from P3D 3.xx - big, ugly, bulbous globes which should appear smaller with distance, not larger.  They were fine in P3D 2.5!

I thought P3D 2.5, 3.3 would kill my FSX but, there are some aircraft which are still fun to fly and which never made it to p3D, PMDG DC10 and the J4100 - that's the only reason I still have FSX ;-)

Archived