Will SIMstarter NG work with P3D v4 ?

powayjoe

I was wondering how SIMstarter NG will work with the new release of P3D v4 on May 30th? Is there anything we will have to do to get it to interface with the new installation of P3D v4?

Thanks in advance

Joie

• Deputy Sheriffs
4 hours ago, powayjoe said:

Is there anything we will have to do to get it to interface with the new installation of P3D v4?

Yes, you have to wait for a new version of SIMstarter NG ;)

• Deputy Sheriffs

You just made my day Otto!  :D:D:D

But on a more serious level: that question needs to be answered by Pero. 

• Developer

SIMstarter NG has been tested with P3Dv4 already. Some features can't be support until FSUIPC (and the FSUIPC Client DLL) is not 64 compatible.

There will be an update soon after the official release. Yes and it will be free of charge for existing SIMstarter NG customers.

Awesome news.

There was a post over on Avsim where someone said that the change to the new UNICODE format could mean that programs like Simstarter may accidentally change the format/spacing of the file and require a complete sim resinstall.  Is this a significant concern?

• Developer

No. The migration from SIMstarter (Freeware) and SIMstarter NG made a big difference because SIMstarter NG can handle different files with different file codec. This has been covered (the freeware won't definitiv not run P3Dv4). I am waiting for P3Dv4 becomes public because the maturity of my BETA team has no access to the P3Dv4 beta. Therefore I need to wait with SIMstarter NG update release until the BETA team has double checked the software.

Current limitations of P3Dv4 platform in SIMstarter NG:

By switching PREPAR3D to 64-bit, FSUIPC4 (and the FSUIPC Client DLL) is no longer compatible. This means that the following functions are not available for the PREPAR3D v4 platform in SIMstarter NG:

• Start Manager
    • Wait until Sim „ready“
    • Loading Flightplan
    • FSUIPC Settings

We hope that FSUIPC and the FSUIPC Client DLL will soon be 64 bit compatible and will then check how and whether SIMstarter NG can recover these functions.

• Capt. PERO locked, unlocked, featured and pinned this topic
  • Deputy Sheriffs

I think Pero will finally comment on your question as well, but this is for sure something like mandatory feature.

3 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

I think Pero will finally comment on your question as well, but this is for sure something like mandatory feature.

Thanks.  I'm hoping that P3D4 enables more opportunities for SimStarter.  Absolutely a great product!

Looking forward to the new v4 release.  I hope that it provides a facility for us to add scenery and aircraft outside of the sim per the P3D v4 SDK and then using Simstarter to add them to the ad-ons.xml.  I think this makes sense and will help us tremendously not having to fiddle around with these files manually.

• Developer
vor 14 Stunden , mark767 sagte:

Looking forward to the new v4 release.  I hope that it provides a facility for us to add scenery and aircraft outside of the sim per the P3D v4 SDK and then using Simstarter to add them to the ad-ons.xml.  I think this makes sense and will help us tremendously not having to fiddle around with these files manually.

No that is not implemented yet. At the moment the functionality is based on most of the old features because the handling of the add-on.xml files would cause a complete recoding of the existing Managers (Scenery, XML, SimObjects, Livery, e.g. Manager). This would bring the release date far away.

Version 1.5 will be compatible with P3Dv4 and handling the add-on.xml is under investigation - how to implement the best. These files are giving a lot of Opportunites, let's see how SIMstarter NG will deal with them. :O)

See planned features for v1.5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any news of the of 1.5 for P3Dv4? I really appreciate simstarter but don't want to mess up my fresh install with a non adapted version

Thanks

Orangina

• Developer

BETA tests are completed. The new installed must be created - hopefully within the next week. :O)

Some important information:

ENGLISH:

With version 4, Lockheed Martin® has made some major changes. This version 1.5 of SIMstarter NG has been adapted to these new features.
Only the new Add-On.xml logic is currently not considered. This means that when AddOns is installed in compliance with the new SDK, SIMstarter NG cannot manage these add-ons. The implementation of this new logic requires a complete conversion of almost all managers in SIMstarter NG. This is very time intensive.
An AddOn Manager is planned in general.

DEUTSCH:

Mit der Version 4 hat Lockheed Martin® einige Veränderungen vorgenommen. Die Version 1.5 von SIMstarter NG wurde an diese Neuerungen angepasst.
Lediglich die neue Add-On.xml Logik wird aktuell nicht berücksichtigt. Das bedeutet, wenn AddOns sich dem neuen SDK konform installieren, kann SIMstarter NG diese AddOns nicht verwalten. Die Implementierung dieser neuen Logik erfordert einen kompletten Umbau nahezu aller Manager im SIMstarter NG. Dies ist sehr zeitintensiv.
Ein AddOn Manager ist grundsätzlich in Planung.

3 hours ago, Capt. PERO said:

This means that when AddOns is installed in compliance with the new SDK, SIMstarter NG cannot manage these add-ons

Hi,

What does this exactly imply? I'm not familiar with the new add-on.xml.

Does it mean that if a scenery installer uses this new method, the scenery can not be controlled using the scenery manager?
(i.e. the scenery can not be used in scenery sets?)

Egbert

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes, add-ons which show up "locked" on top of the list within the "World | Scenery Library" menu and also show up in the "Options | Add-Ons..." menu can't be handled by SIMstarter NG in the upcoming release.

But as Pero wrote, this is just for the moment. An additional AddOn manager is planned for some future releases.

• Developer

Some News about SIMstarter NG.

Time is running and the implementation of an "Add-On.xml Manager" moves faster then expected.

That means that the release of v1.5 will be delayed for at least "some more weeks". Sorry.

I think its better to support P3Dv4 in the "right way" then releasing something in between. This was a very short descision.

I will post some beta pictures soon.

So far we have:

• Add-On.xml Manager to handle Add-On.xml files (add, edit or delete files and components)
  • Livery Manager is taking Addons from add-on.xml files
  • Scenery Manager (Editor) shows sceneries from add-on.xml files

Whats planned until release:

• Layers of add-on.xml files can be moved within the Scenery Manager
  • SimObjects Manager will show SimObjects from add-on.xml files
  • XML Manager will show up XML categories from add-on.xml files

Some of you will say that this are bad news but overall I am happy that the implementation of P3Dv4 moves foreward that fast!

...its allmost the best if a developer uses v4 himself. :O)

• Deputy Sheriffs
13 minutes ago, Capt. PERO said:

Some of you will say that this are bad news [...]

I for one will tell the exact opposite and say this is great news!!!

• Capt. PERO unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived