Mathijs Kok

Flight Sim World and Aerosoft

22 posts in this topic

FSW has just been released and we wish Dovetails all the luck in the world with that new simulator. Now before people start asking us when our add-ons will be compatible let me outline our point of view.

First of all simple facts. There is no SDK, no Simconnect and only XML aircraft are possible. So even if we would be willing to start on making things compatible, it is simply impossible to make any complex aircraft. Even C++ is currently impossible. So any aircraft could only do what the default aircraft do. For scenery things might look better, we are not sure about that, but without an SDK and knowing what the new engine can do it makes just no sense to spend time on it.

The secondary problem is that it is Early Access. Major things can still change. A large group of Dovetails staff visited us last weekend to meet with many of our developers. It was a good but slightly frustrating meeting. Dovetails wanted us to make solid add-ons, we wanted to do that but without a fixed feature set and an SDK it will just not happen. More worrisome was that some of the limitations of FSX that we discussed were 'considered' and might change. So even if we could develop it could be that a major feature (like a good lighting engine) might still change. But for a scenery developer that means doing a night version of a an airport or not doing a night version. That's months of work that might be wasted.

Now I understand this sounds harsh. It is not intended to be. We really wish Dovetails all the luck possible, but we wish even more they would have discussed things as they were done last weekend somewhere halfway 2016. Not two weeks before release. 

So basically it is a wait and see issue. When we can make add-ons we will look if they make commercial sense. Until that time we got a lot of great sims to support. 

I will leave this topic open, but it will be heavily moderated. Be careful.

I fully understand your perspective.

From my customer and communitymember point of view I must say that Aerosoft has earned its credits in the flightsim world. You delivered what you promised and then some, with all the great add-ons you produced.

So I'll stay with the platforms that I can enjoy your (future) products with.

I must say...the idea that companies like Aerosoft may not be able to develop for a sim makes the particular sim very unattractive to me. So I hope Dovetail will make wise decisions. I know I'm not alone on this...

Grtz., Hans

Somebody just asked me via  PM how things will work with licenses. As we all know Dovetails will not publish anything that is not licensed.

As far as we are aware there will be two ways of adding DLC to FSW, one via Dovetails and that will have to be fully licensed. From the airport logo on a sign to complete Airbus license for a Airbus included. This will be highly limiting because imagine a scenery of Las Vegas without all the signs. But it will also be possible to add content without it going via Dovetail and there thing might be different. How these products will show inside the sim is not known to us right now.

But licenses are a major issue in this new platform and we hope Dovetail will clear this up soon.

46 minutes ago, Kaashaas said:

I must say...the idea that companies like Aerosoft may not be able to develop for a sim makes the particular sim very unattractive to me. So I hope Dovetail will make wise decisions. I know I'm not alone on this...

As long as you keep in mind that we love all sims and where our customers go we will follow.

Aerosoft is a commercial company, we might love the sims, but we need to make money. If 90% of our customers are on FSW that is the platform where we will spend most time. We follow and do not lead. It is up to Dovetail to make this a serious 'platform' and not simulator. 

On the other hand, customers will go where the nice add-ons and products are. DG would be mad to deny themselves that marketing opportunity.

We'll see what the future brings. :-)

Grtz., Hans

Earlier this week, Dovetail Games replied to a visitor's comment on Facebook about 3rd party developers and sales through Steam or not. And their answer was clearly a preference for a Steam release (without any specification about licensing the content of each addon), but they also stated it would be possible to create and sell an addon out of Steam. Talking about the actual ability for developers to know what they can design or not, SDK or not, was not in the topic.

FSW Statement.jpg

Indeed. It was not fixed and not clear but Dovetail did explain to us that selling via Dovetail might mean the product gets better placement inside the sim. They could not give any details. 

Of course this means handing over 30% to Steam and 30% to Dovetail (of what is left after Steam takes it part) so you might expect serious service from them. Selling your addon outside that channel means you do not pay all that. As you might have seen for some add-ons Aerosoft decided to pay that fee to access these customers. But it's hard, it's expensive and you got to abide by the very strict rules that all needs to be licensed. Not a single car must be recognisable as a Mercedes etc. That's why our Airbus sells with only three liveries and our F-16 with only four on Steam. The versions we sell on our own site that are 100% compatible with the FSX:Steam version have 21 and 18 liveries. 

It is up to customers to decide if the ease of use (and that is seriously important for many people) makes up for the lack of content (we do provide that missing content free of charge btw). Just as it is up to use to decide to use Dovetail/Steam as a sales channel. In the end choice is good for customers.

I've heard that some people have been able to get their FSX planes installed into FSW. I am not suggesting you guys go around saying your product might be compatible, but what is stopping AE from publishing and installing planes into FSW the way they have before (i.e just putting the files where they need to be within the FSW folder?) Will there be a specific DRM system, or is it simply just heeding to DTG's wishes?

One thing I noticed is that FSW definitely uses all 4 of my cores, so I'm liking where this is headed so far.

6 hours ago, Davetunes said:

I've heard that some people have been able to get their FSX planes installed into FSW. I am not suggesting you guys go around saying your product might be compatible, but what is stopping AE from publishing and installing planes into FSW the way they have before (i.e just putting the files where they need to be within the FSW folder?) Will there be a specific DRM system, or is it simply just heeding to DTG's wishes?

What planes would that be? Complex planes like PMDG or Aerosofts Airbus is not possible for the fact that SimConnect is missing. Also no dll.xml or exe.xml files are present (at this time, anyway).

6 hours ago, Davetunes said:

I am not suggesting you guys go around saying your product might be compatible, but what is stopping AE from publishing and installing planes into FSW the way they have before

The problem here is, that you might be able to install aircraft into FSW that do not use any SDK/API (programming interfaces) but just the FSX-introduced XML interface (for their gauges and controls), but for example the AS Airbus simply will not work without an SDK. 

If you do a forum search here for "SimConnect" you will quickly see all the problems you ran into with the Airbus if you don't have SimConnect installed. In FSW there is no SimConnect at all at the moment, so there is not even the need to give the Airbus a try.

Probably our first Airbus X might work, I believe it was mainly an xml driven aircraft. But you clearly saw the limitations given by xml in this addon.

Even if you can get it installed and running now though all compability might be lost with a major update Dovetail might do.
P3D customers will know this, the difference i just that P3D was an official release already, where you do not expect groundbraking changes from a developers point of view, but Flight Sim World is an Early Access where basically anything can still change.

As Mathijs told: Time will tell.

Simconnect is available in "SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSW\x86" in version 1.0.16311.0 (DFS. 16/05/2017-21:13:01.51)

Best regards

FSWSimConnectDLL.png

2 hours ago, enjxp said:

Simconnect is available in "SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSW\x86" in version 1.0.16311.0 (DFS. 16/05/2017-21:13:01.51)

Well I noticed that too... but ... there's no Addon Menu in FSW. Also, you'd notice, that you aren't being asked to install SimConnect when installing FSW and there's no msi files supplied with FSW to install the SimConnect Client...

It isn't implemented. I'm not sure what the file is doing there / represents, to be honest...

If it isn't supported yet, I don't understand the point of removing it, just to re-introduce it?!

Please be aware in all your speculations here that Aerosoft and DTG had face to face meetings and discussed the possibilities. The outcome is what Mathijs outlined above. 

I am a beta tester of SPAD.neXt. SPAD.next is Simconnect based (FSUIPC enabled, too, but that's a nogo here). The author is (successfully) working on implementing FSW support at the moment. In one or another way he should have Simconnect working, shouldn't he?

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

FSW is based on the FSX Code, so more or less all what exits for FSX is maybe also working in FSW at the moment, as long as relevant parts are not removed/changed in the FSW codes. But that is not we talking about. Important is, what is official supported and base of the strategie in future, so that a developer can be save, that it is available after the next hotfix, patch or future version.

This needs a clear statement, what is normally done by a SDK. This is not available yet and the statement at the meeting with DTG in Paderborn was most end in "we don't know yet". Nothing a developer is spend his time to start developents with his full risk to invest time for nothing at the end. We will see, when they know it more clear and make a statement with a future save SDK.

There's also a SimConnect.dll in "SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSW" with a size of 70 Ko rather than 52 Ko for the one in x86. Probably there's SimConnect 64 bits as DTG previously state this. The connection test show SimConnect listening but was end up. Waiting for the SDK ug to go further, as the connection process have certainly been enhanced. Also a few dev have already some good results.

Best regards

If Dovetail makes the FSW diverge too greatly from the P3D/FSX code/platform, is there a possibility that future Aerosoft Aircraft releases may become single platform platforms?      

2 hours ago, CheapCharlie said:

single platform platforms?      

I noticed an empty folder called TrueSKY. Since they plan to update the weather, if they implement TrueSKY, this may affect the Weather Radar.