Error when installing Heathrow?

tnh1013

Hi

I am trying to install the Heathrow addon.  However the installation barely begins after putting in my email address and serial code, before I get this error saying access is denied? 

http://tinypic.com/r/okvi4g/9

And then it doesn't install.

It's a brand new laptop the only things installed are FS Steam, the Airbus addon by Aerosoft, Mega Airports Frankfurt and Dropbox.  I had McAfee deactivated before I tried to install Heathrow...yet I got this error?

Any ideas?

Thank you

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

You should start the installer as administrator (right click the exe file, "run as administrator")

• Deputy Sheriffs

If your windows offers a UAC, try to disable it.

btw. You should not install the sim inside c:\program files x86

thats a special protected folder and can be the reason for several problems of addons.

I disabled UAC, disabled anti virus and still same problem :( Any ideas?  It's a bit baffling how this is happening on a new laptop with hardly anything installed :'( 

I did not know this about the x86 folder thing.  Happy to reinstall FS Steam somewhere else, but where should I install it to instead?  Just C:\ Program Files?

Are there any other options I can try before resorting to reinstalling FS Steam?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Any other folder than one of the two "Program Files" folders will do, e.g. C:\FSX

6 hours ago, tnh1013 said:

It's bit baffling how this is happening on a new laptop with hardly anything installed

Well, you have Windows installed ;) 

FSX was developed in a time, when there wasn't a strict separation in Windows for program and data files. Only later Microsoft introduced this separation (with Windows Vista/7). The program folder are strictly read only in nowadays Windows version. This leads to problems within FSX as it tries to write it's data into it's program folder, and also many add-ons being installed into FSX doing the same.

That's the reason why one needs to start all FSX related installers always as administrator, and also to start FSX itself as such. By installing FSX/FSX:SE/P3D one can completely divert these kind of problems.

There might be other options, but by re-installing your FSX:SE you will make sure not to run into strange problems any time later. So that's the far better option than trying to fix the current problem.

Ok I'm afraid I need a bit of help here...

I installed FSX Steam onto *another* brand new laptop, installed into a folder on the D drive i.e. not C:\Program Files.  Installed the Airbus Bundle, Mega Airports Frankfurt and Mega Airports Heathrow.  All onto D drive.

No issue with the Airbus and Frankfurt installations.  When I go to Heathrow in FSX the scenery does not show up, despite the installation apparently being successful.  So I try uninstalling it and when I try another reinstall, I get the same error?  What am I doing wrong?  See pic below for the error I'm referring to...

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

With FSX:SE it can happen, that the installer get's into some trouble adding the scenery into the scenery library of the sim. Even if you pointed the installer on the correct installation path, it still needs to know, what sim it is. Unfortunately there are situations, where FSX:SE looks completely identical to FSX and you would have to select FSX during installation.

If a scenery doesn't show up after installation the easiest way is usually just to add it manually to the scenery library.

About the error you get: "Access is denied" comes directly from the operating system. Make sure that you started the Heathrow installer as administrator and also that nothing that is even remotely connected to your sim is still running on your computer. To uninstall do not use the control panel but start the related "Uninstall_xxx.exe" directly from within the "FSX:SE Program Folder\aerosoft" folder.

Still doesn't work...:( Any ideas?  Looks like I'll probably just have to get it refunded since it's not been able to work at all.  Sigh, what a shame but what to do.

do you have fsx SE as a single install or side by side with a (MS) FSX installation.

if you have a single SE install then use the FSX (not SE) installer as DTG in this case uses not the FSX-SE but the default FSX names and paths.

(not very logical for my thoughts - but they may have had a reason...)

• Deputy Sheriffs
2 hours ago, tnh1013 said:

Still doesn't work...

What exactly is the problem you are getting? Still that "Access denied?" Are you getting it while uninstalling the first installation or did that worked in the meantime and you are getting the error when trying to install again?

Archived