Mathijs Kok

T5 lightning preview (released)

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Soon available for you to make lots and lots of virtual noise. I love this aircraft, seriously love it.
Supercruise in 1970...

Totally agree Mathijs!

In the 70s, this beauty and the F4 were the 2 planes that defined the era.  I always thought looking at the plane from the tail it bore an amazing resemblance to looking down a Benelli over/under shotgun!

Maybe that's why I like this plane so much (I much prefer over/under vs side by side):D

Plus I love the wingtip/aileron look....truly a unique machine.

Looks absolutely stunning, can't wait to fly it myself!

(Imagine me speaking with a posh old British accent) That, my good Sir, is marvelous :D

I have, in recent years, become seriously addicted to military aircraft in pc platforms, and looking at this it seems to me it will be a must have addition to the collection

Any chance we could get some video of this in the foreseeable future? :D I  know you are hard at work on the CRJ, but still, this is such a beautiful plane.

Will it have wing flex? :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, nealmac said:

Will it have wing flex? :ph34r:

Good lord I hope not ! The wing skins are solid alloy  machinings, riveted together and  painted on the inside with sealant to form the fuel tanks, and are absolutly rigid .

We managed to bend one in the middle a little bit after it pulled 11+ G , but I didn't think it would be worth animating that ! :huh:

Cheers

Dave R

2 minutes ago, wingman5 said:

Good lord I hope not ! The wing skins are solid alloy  machinings, riveted together and  painted on the inside with sealant to form the fuel tanks, and are absolutly rigid .

We managed to bend one in the middle a little bit after it pulled 11+ G , but I didn't think it would be worth animating that ! :huh:

Cheers

Dave R

PS I was joking ;)

1 hour ago, levkovv said:

Any chance we could get some video of this in the foreseeable future? :D I  know you are hard at work on the CRJ, but still, this is such a beautiful plane.

nice little flight here..

19 minutes ago, nealmac said:

PS I was joking ;)

:D Phew.... but it's astonishing what I have been asked to include!:blink:

Thanks :D There is really something special about a side by side supersonic cockpit. Wish we had more of those...

Supersonic AND supercruise!

But is is a good question. Are there more supersonic aircraft that have side by side seating? I can think of the Concorde, nothing more.

11 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Supersonic AND supercruise!

But is is a good question. Are there more supersonic aircraft that have side by side seating? I can think of the Concorde, nothing more.

SU-34 and wasn't there an Hunter derivative. 

The Hunter wasn't a true supersonic aircraft though, only in a shallow dive,

Well, apart from Russian birds (Tu-22, Su-24, Su-34, Su-27KUB, Tu-144, Tu-160), the Concorde, B-1 and F111, I don't know of any others. I honestly haven't heard of the lightning t5 version until I saw this beauty in the preview section. :D But I was originally thinking about the smaller fighters/interceptors/attack aircraft and not strategic bombers and SST-s, when you are sitting in a cockpit of a big plane, you don't really realize how high or fast you are going as opposed to sitting in something with a glass canopy :D

I'm sure a Sea Vixen in a dive could break the barrier

Laws of gravity dictate that almost anything can break the barrier in a dive, given high enough altitude. :D

50 minutes ago, levkovv said:

Laws of gravity dictate that almost anything can break the barrier in a dive, given high enough altitude. :D

True. the high altitude freefallers break the sound barrier !  ( @Peter, the Seavixen is not side by side  ;) )

I do prefer side by side... Its much more civilised to be able to chat and share a flask of coffee and a sandwich with the driver than being cooped up in isolation.

A few more screenshots

... I have added an external T4 model for those who prefer pointy tails...

landing02.thumb.jpg.25bcfca77d5592d67d7e6f50111901b9.jpgT4.thumb.jpg.2d14419e48f3b02fa94f7a47443f3786.jpg

and a shot of the boys at play

590c989a988d7_theboysatplay.thumb.jpg.e268874ac9e93a1274f6130dfc36cce3.jpg

and a celebration of  XS452's colour schemes from present day back to 1965

590c99bf3b4dc_452pasttopresent.thumb.jpg.f47cb7334024a5bfd0906f19ebaacebe.jpg

A montage of configuration settings, and some general shots...

montage.thumb.jpg.2fb432462df242b6d993c6d406d10971.jpgmoody02.thumb.jpg.ff54387410bd107518201a9a409e57c4.jpgpair01.thumb.jpg.ae77c45d13ac240146de775997bde85f.jpgstandby.thumb.jpg.fb8b9506a9a71ef9c533224e1383e9c8.jpg..........

Beautiful shots :D Especially like the XS-452 lineup. Too bad they didn't make any trainers based on the F6, you can always use more fuel to feed the afterburners longer xD And speaking of side by side being more humane, when you compare it to being stuck inside the navigators seat on a Canberra PR.9, any other arrangement is humane xD

4 hours ago, levkovv said:

Too bad they didn't make any trainers based on the F6, you can always use more fuel to feed the afterburners longer

They did ! the T55 ... as flown in Saudi and Kuwait ...... there are two in the package one with the ferry tank and one with the gun tank .  

They were talking aboutreplacing  the front end of one of Thunder City F6's with a T5 cockpit , but now they are up for sale who knows what will happen.

Thanks for giving the two seaters some love. :D They are so often neglected.