F-14 trouble

safko

Hi guys,

I am a little bit frustrated. I don´t know, if I do something wrong, or I have bad installation  in FSX Steam or I don´t know.

1. I have no options for carrier mision in the Free flight Load menu/ maybe how I can start the carrier on?

2. Where can I find keys map for F-14 /f.e. Shift+G is NWS (i found this one on forum, where can I find the others?)

3. I have no checklist when I start the flight / I can´t find checklist when I´m in plane in order to set cold start procedure

4. How can I trim F-14 during the flight? / I want to use buttons on stick, so I need to set it up. I tried to set it up in FSX control panel but nothing happened

5.How can I setup buttons on my control sticks / I use Thrustmaster T16000 and TWCS throttle /I own FSUIPC but I did set up some hot keys in FSX control panel ( I have TACKpack also)

6.Is there any F-14 virtual squadron

If anyone can help me, please. I purchased this only for F-14, I fly on DCS. F-14 forever:)

I can understand your frustration... you have some questions that could require some lengthy answers... since you are familiar with DCS, you will probably have a smaller learning curve.

If if you haven't figured out by now... you probably have a good weekend worth of work to get you up and running (something I figured out with DCS... which I have had for over a year with nothing more than the first A-10C tutorial under my belt)

For carries in free flight... you will need AI carriers or TACPAC...google them.

Once they are installed you can try VLSO.  (VLSOblogspot)

Joystick setup isnt isn't really hard ... just a bit different from DCS... you should probably look for videos on FSUPIC... one counter intuitive item...in FSX you have to disable controls on the default FSX GUI... a little check box on bottom of default FSX controls GUI... the FSUPIC interface isn't available until in an aircraft with the sim running... then you access it from a drop down menu from top of screen.

Once in FSUPIC...

kind of reminds me of the configuration editor from Team Super Hornet... if your familiar with it.

Then study the manuals... once your sim and joystick are where you want... then you can enjoy a well done aircraft... think of it as training for the release of Leather Neck simulation's F-14 for DCS... or if like me you will probably just wait for its release..

Again look for YouTube videos and look through forums to hopefully save you time...

i have been a long time Flight Sim user so I have evolved with it and know the program pretty well... I also use X-Plane... I was a Flanker Fan from back in the day... but just to many layouts to learn... I will probably jump to DCS once they have a hornet and tomcat.... and the carrier ops mature...

hope you get get up and running soon.. I surely understand your frustration...:

i will I'll check back to see how you make out 

On 2D checklist... its shift-2... but should pop up automatically once flight starts....

since you have TACPAK read wiki on their carrier ops... different from AI carriers but all available from drop down menus once in sim

On 15.4.2017 at 22:29, safko sagte:

Hi guys,

I am a little bit frustrated. I don´t know, if I do something wrong, or I have bad installation  in FSX Steam or I don´t know.

1. I have no options for carrier mision in the Free flight Load menu/ maybe how I can start the carrier on?

2. Where can I find keys map for F-14 /f.e. Shift+G is NWS (i found this one on forum, where can I find the others?)

3. I have no checklist when I start the flight / I can´t find checklist when I´m in plane in order to set cold start procedure

4. How can I trim F-14 during the flight? / I want to use buttons on stick, so I need to set it up. I tried to set it up in FSX control panel but nothing happened

5.How can I setup buttons on my control sticks / I use Thrustmaster T16000 and TWCS throttle /I own FSUIPC but I did set up some hot keys in FSX control panel ( I have TACKpack also)

6.Is there any F-14 virtual squadron

If anyone can help me, please. I purchased this only for F-14, I fly on DCS. F-14 forever:)

1. It happened to me one time that I installed F-14X and the setup routine did not propperly install the loadable missions. Deinstallation followed by a new installation helped at my side.

2. This gave me a hard time too, but I can tell you, that all the needed keybindings are mentioned in the manuals. The problem is, there is no chart of some kind where all neccessary keys are listed.I can give you some keys I remember right now before coffee :)

• Shift+I (arm carrier launchbar)
  • Shift+Space (launch from carrier)
  • Floats (You need to look it up in the key controls. the command "Floats" controls the Spoilers afaik)
  • There is a command for the tail hook which I do not remember right now.
  • You already found out about Shift-G (NWS)
  • There is another important keystruck for the NWS Shift+G. Via this keystruck you engage the ACLS when set up right. 

4. You can set the trimming to a keystruck too. In the control settings it is: Elevator trim up/ Elevator trim down. You can set a joystick button the each of the actions.

Hope this helps.

Hello, sorry for late answer.

To AIXtreme2K:

1. I reinstalled F-14 and nothing happened

4.When I set trim option for my throttle stick, nothing happened. My F-14 went higher higher higher and higher. I leveled to straight position, and she went higher higher higher and higher:D Maybe it is not fault, but normal:D

To balis323:
I don´t understand FSUIPC. I had a lot of hours in F-29 Retaliator+F-15E Strike Eagle(i386 - great old times), Red Baron 2, Hornet 3.0, Falcon 4, IL2, Lock On, FS (older version), DCS and now I try FSX VRS Superbug and Aerosoft Turkey. And I dont understand it:D. I have Tackpack, I set everything that I knew. Maybe there is something wrong with original FSX Steam instalation. The only thing I want to do is:

Carrier operation - not available

Set up the plane profile for good flying.

I have DCS for combat.

Oh, I forgot, Shift-2 for checklist is not working.

Strange... I can find the missions in this folder: C:\user\documents\Prepar3D V3 Files

Prolly FSX Steam Version saves the files to a different folder. Probably someone at the steam forums can help you with that.

When flying with afterburner or full throttle you need to set trimming way down in order to make the Tomcat fly at level. Try to take away some thrust to level you plane.

At my side trimming works but it's "pasty".

Let me look to see if I can find a good FSUIPC.... you tube title below... let me know if this sheds light on it (not all caps to yell... just cut and paste from YouTube )

HOW TO USE FSUIPC FOR FSX

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed FSX Steam replacing my legacy FSX.  Afterwards I found there were no missions either.  I found them--they are in your Documents folder in the Aerosoft folder.  Cut and paste them in the Documents>Flight Simulator X Files and it will work.

I read somewhere on the web it was an installer bug and that what you really should do is reinstall F-14X but choose the version for Acceleration/Gold.  It will recognize it to be Steam and put the files in the right place.  But personally, I just cut and paste the files in and everything seems to be OK.

As for trim, etc, what stick are you using?  Does it have a programming software with it?  If so and you are not going to use FSUIPC, then you should first go into the Settings>Controls>Buttons/keys.  Select your joystick in the controller type dropdown then go through the event assignment list and delete any of the joystick buttons assigned to events.  Do the same for your throttle.  Afterwards, use your joystick/throttle programming software to program events to your stick/throttle.  You can program things like trim to your joystick button.

Hope that helps.

v6,

boNes

• 1 month later...

Thanks for help. I found missions in Aerosoft folder, then I copied them to FSX. It worked. Great!! Thanks a lot. BUT....!!!

Checklist ( key Shift+1) doesn´t work. When I start mission, I can´t change anything!! Sometimes I am empty, sometimes I have 2xAim9 1xMK? 1xLGB? 1xPhoenix 1xLantirn and of course I can´t change it. Only what I can change is fuel quantity in FSX menu. And eeeeh...it´s not easy to do qualification on carrier with full payload!!:D:D:D yeah, i can do jettison for all weapons...great idea, we have taxpayers:D:D But what doesn´t kill us, makes us stronger!!!! :D:D:D:D grhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I use Thrustmaster T1600M and throttle Thrustmaster TWCS.

I guess you have to reinstall simconnect in order to make checklist work.

It is a software you can manually install via hitting the simconnect.ini file. It can find it at my p3d installation folder -> Utilities -> SimConnectSDK -> config

I am not sure if you need to install a certain p3d SDK file before you can use it. Probably someone else can give you more detailed information about the simconnect file. But I am quite sure, that it will solve your problem.

I have FSX Steam version.

I will try uninstall FSX and I try install FSX + F14X + TackPack with VRS F/A-18E again. Maybe it will help.

OK, I´ve got it!!!....problem was with my graphic! Everything works fine:) Thanks for help..thanks a lot!

My question is, I am on final, on ball, and I don´t listen LSO, only RIO. I either do something wrong, or it ´s normal in 14X? I miss communication with carrier/LSO...On panel I have Landing CHECK.

When I do qualification (5 trap for day and 3 for night), after I have cat shot, do I have to go on BRC?, or can I go for landing? I don´t know, which procedure is correct? Do I have to go on BRC after each cat shot? Or can I land after each cat shot? I want to do the procedure(if it is possible) like in a "real life"...

Question #3: Daytime, just take off and go right into the pattern at 600' AGL. For night, you would go into the bolter/wave off pattern at 1200'AGL, remember you would be on ATC vectors for another CV-1 approach (the standard ACLS approach).  You'll fly downwind for generally 6-10nm behind the boat and get a "hook" or 180 turn to pick up the approach.

Are you using the vLSO program?

I downloaded it, but I must look how it works. Because it´s not :)

When I am a little outside of centerline, is it normal for OLS to give me wave off? I feel ok, machine in hand, a little side next to centerline, but small work with pedals will correct the final ( I don´t like to make correction with stick  because of "side-dancing" on approach speed) and OLS abort my landing. I usually catch 1st wire, sometimes 3rd wire around 500 - 800 ft AOA 9 -12. I always have landed with hand on throttle, no autopilot use. Also at night. I don´t know if in the real is use much more autopilot, or landing in hand...

• 3 months later...

After 300 "grades" landing I can say, vLSO has many faults like all programs. Most funny is, when carrier start to turning in the last part of landing:D LSO has own world:D One time I almost hitted the ramp, and no response by LSO for "power power power", I catched 1 wire, very bad landing, I was happy for survive and the result was (OK) :D . And other landing you are a little high on "donut" speed and LSO screaming "Power Power Power" and  "Wave off"!!:D And LIG is something, what I will never understand, what the main point is for the start to measuring the time...:D

Archived