Mathijs Kok

You want ice with that? (project died, sorry)

51 posts in this topic

I doubt anyone would notice, to be honest.
Besides, it's unnecessary CPU cycles to make those calculations... 

vor 13 Minuten, KingMusjo sagte:

I doubt anyone would notice, to be honest.
Besides, it's unnecessary CPU cycles to make those calculations... 

I think above the Atlantic are enough cycles free in comparison to a flight above land.

3 minutes ago, masterhawk said:

I think above the Atlantic are enough cycles free in comparison to a flight above land.

But then still wouldn't you notice any movement (due to your altitude and lack of reference objects).

Let's close this subtopic, they will not move, lol.

vor 6 Minuten, Tom A320 sagte:

But then still wouldn't you notice any movement (due to your altitude and lack of reference objects).

Your right, but that was not my point.

I'm very happy with static ones.

1 hour ago, Mathijs Kok said:

But if you do two ocean crossing within a week, do you REALLY think you would ever notice the bergs are not in the same place? I am 100% sure I would never notice.

I rarely do ocean crossing actually, I find it great idea but since you guys are doing it I thought that would be cool to have them moving since you are working on it.

I as well rarely do crossings, but it is an excellent idea. Any thing we can add to enhance the experience for people, I say go for it. Btw, how big will the biggest of those be? I promise I am not thinking about landing on them :P;)

They are about 500x300 meters. we might make a few larger ones.

"Herr Ober, eis bitte!!", Every Swede will instinctively recognize that line despite that it is a German phrase,

And...... why not to start thinking on the full ARCTIC for  P3D ?

I rather install the icebergs and wait for the A330 to fly over 'em.

#AircraftCommitment/Loyalty

Project just died in the construction hangar because of the fact the project manager (me) was so bad at math. See, we tested the visibility of the objects looking down at them. And the had the max possible visibility range (around 50 Km). What I did not realize was that you don't look down as you fly but in front of you. So we had to add the horizontal distance as well. And that's where things got crappy.

ice.jpg

See this looks okay, but it is also the FIRST you will see of the iceberg. Slew a few meters back and it is gone. I'll talk to some scenery devs if there is some trick to triple the visibility range, but I doubt that will work. 

Sorry. My bad. I'll pay for the beers.

31 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Project just died in the construction hangar because of the fact the project manager (me) was so bad at math. See, we tested the visibility of the objects looking down at them. And the had the max possible visibility range (around 50 Km). What I did not realize was that you don't look down as you fly but in front of you. So we had to add the horizontal distance as well. And that's where things got crappy.

ice.jpg

See this looks okay, but it is also the FIRST you will see of the iceberg. Slew a few meters back and it is gone. I'll talk to some scenery devs if there is some trick to triple the visibility range, but I doubt that will work. 

Sorry. My bad. I'll pay for the beers.

Oh well.... icebergs can wait.

it was a good idea!    :unsure:

Damn! I was actually looking forward to this one. I thought it was a really brilliant idea! 

Too bad, the technical limitations of ESP engine, won't allow a satisfactory result... 

I was looking forward to it too. The picture is of the sea off the east coast of Greenland on a flight from EDDF to KSEA in June. Lots of little (and one bigger) floes.

_DSC0787_edited-1.thumb.jpg.ddf604651a267f8f5116217c17ea0cc0.jpg

The mesh idea sounds like a nice example of thinking out of the box.

Are the icebergs seen all alone or are they spotted in groups (bands? flocks? herds? :) )?

If one flies along the same route often we wouldn't notice that an individual iceberg had moved but we're good at spotting patterns, and a pattern of scattered icebergs could easily become familiar to an attentive eye that flies the same route often, if they move in herds. So perhaps more than one mesh file to vary iceberg positions would be a nice touch. Just overthinking this. But I hope this project will come back eventually. 

Maybe you could model icebergs small enough to not be seen beyond 50 km anyways? The human eye can only discern about a 60'th of a degree, so with a max range of 50 km, you can make icebergs about 15 m across so they pop into vision just as soon as they're visible to the human eye?

If you made your icebergs (if you can even call them that anymore) that size, you could scatter them all around the northern Atlantic without having to worry about the maximum distance.

vor 8 Stunden , amahran sagte:

Maybe you could model icebergs small enough to not be seen beyond 50 km anyways? The human eye can only discern about a 60'th of a degree, so with a max range of 50 km, you can make icebergs about 15 m across so they pop into vision just as soon as they're visible to the human eye?

If you made your icebergs (if you can even call them that anymore) that size, you could scatter them all around the northern Atlantic without having to worry about the maximum distance.

The max range of visibility of 3D Objects (scenery Objects) is limited to around 30km in FS.

When you fly in >FL330 there are 10km lost, so you have a radius below 20km around your position, where objects will be displayed.

In the frontview of the cockpit, you will never see objects in this range, regardless of there size. In the sideview you maybe see them, but poping up and removing in the short view distance.

Mesh could be a solution, but then you need to add also a Landclass to it and therefor you need costlines around...., very complex for such a free "gimmic" addon.

Oh, well... I guess it's dead in it's tracks, then.

Too bad - I was really looking forward to this one.