Mathijs Kok

You want ice with that? (project died, sorry)

51 posts in this topic

Lovely!

I could start also to spot it with my old L-1011:D

That's why I like Aerosoft so much, having such simple but great ideas! But I would prefer an own folder, so the sim remains clear. :)

Amazing, and a very nice idea, Mathijs.

Are they released, yet? Or are they 'incoming'? :)

With a bit of luck this week.

Ahh that's really...well..cool! (sorry for that one..) :P Great idea, thank you for those little things and good ideas! :)

I'm definitely interested in that kind of stuff. Is there any possibility of them being dynamic or randomly being placed (icebergs not being in the same place every time) or is that well outside of the scope? Either way, I'm definitely interested.

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

I think we'll not make a special folder for them and dump them in the main FS scenery folders (any comments on that?). The files will be free of charge, you will just need a forum account to get them.

Why not let the user choose where to install them? Some users prefer their main scenery folders to be kept clean and everything sorted out, others don't mind as long as it works.

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Now you only need the A330 to go and see them. While waiting we propose the fantastic PMDG 747 as a vehicle.

I'll most likely be flying the Captain Sim 767 on that route, but I might try to do a TATL flight on the PMDG 737. If Westjet can do so, why can't I?

I like to keep all of my scenery outside of my main P3D folder, so I'd love to be able to place them myself. An idea: Why not make the icebergs simobjects and let them have AI routes so they can "drift"? Hard to guess where the real ones would end up I guess, but just an idea :)

Will it be available for X-plane 11?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Its a cool idea, you can also make them as AI Ships and they will be moving all the time in stead of being static.

5 hours ago, Mooze said:

Its a cool idea, you can also make them as AI Ships and they will be moving all the time in stead of being static.

Even if they made them moving/drifting, I'd doubt you would notice it, when flying in 10+ km above them...

9 hours ago, JakobFerdinand said:

I like to keep all of my scenery outside of my main P3D folder, so I'd love to be able to place them myself. An idea: Why not make the icebergs simobjects and let them have AI routes so they can "drift"? Hard to guess where the real ones would end up I guess, but just an idea :)

I considered that, but it will remain single objects in a huge ocean, you would simply never see they are in a different location so it makes little sense to move them.

7 hours ago, Mooze said:

Be aware that icebergs are really slow, around 12 km per day!

If you are interested in additional informations, watch this site:
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=iipProducts

Wish I could think of a good way to create sea ice. There is about 15% of the world that looks blue in the summer and white in the winter..... Coastlines disappear etc.

vor 10 Minuten, Mathijs Kok sagte:

Wish I could think of a good way to create sea ice. There is about 15% of the world that looks blue in the summer and white in the winter..... Coastlines disappear etc.

Does not photoscenery suppress water? That would be of course a big photoscenery. Is there a option to create it like a groundpoly with repeating photo texture? Maybe something in combination with SODE.

But beside that a world wide correct water class would be really great!

orbx has an option to create iced rivers and lakes, but that is sometimes incompatible with addons.

41 minutes ago, masterhawk said:

orbx has an option to create iced rivers and lakes, but that is sometimes incompatible with addons

And is far away from reality ;)

1 hour ago, masterhawk said:

Does not photoscenery suppress water? That would be of course a big photoscenery. Is there a option to create it like a groundpoly with repeating photo texture?

Yes, that's not the issue, the problem is to know what to cover. I might think some more about that when the bergs are floating, lol.

Ohhh and we have seen some comments that it is silly we work on this when other project are behind schedule. Let's make it clear that this will not delay any other project.

4 hours ago, mopperle said:

Be aware that icebergs are really slow, around 12 km per day!

If you are interested in additional informations, watch this site:
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=iipProducts

They are obviously slow indeed, still that would be better than putting them static I guess static ;).

24 minutes ago, Mooze said:

They are obviously slow indeed, still that would be better than putting them static I guess static ;).

But if you do two ocean crossing within a week, do you REALLY think you would ever notice the bergs are not in the same place? I am 100% sure I would never notice.