Tricks for better visual approaches?

datguytho

Hello all,

recently I got interested more and more in visual approaches. But I always struggle to keep the right vertical speed, even with PAPI system. My approach usually looks like Ping Pong. 

I know that there's a lot of practice to it, but maybe somebody has an advice for me to keep the approach more "linear" and less ping pong. 

Do I have to focus a specific fix point on the runway or do I just have to monitor the PFD all the time (which makes it harder to line up with the centerline)?

Thanks in advance

Some tips you may find useful:

- Most importantly, small, smooth corrections are the order of the day. Less is more! The Airbus FBW makes it very stable in manual flight. Avoid big, sharp inputs and resist the temptation to overcontrol. Smooth, progressive inputs. If you start getting in to bother let go of the stick for a moment and the aeroplane will sort itself out.

- Seat position: make sure your eyepoint and zoom level is consistent between landings. If it is not, you will never get the right 'picture' in your mind.

- Next time you do an auto-coupled ILS, have a look out of the window and look at the runway perspective and general 'picture' -- this is what you are looking to replicate.

- Datums: with full flap & gear down you are looking for roughly 1.05 EPR (IAE) and 2.5 degrees pitch. Flap 3 the thrust will be slightly less (about 1.03 EPR) and the pitch attitude slightly higher (about 5 degrees). Pitch will be identical for the CFMs but obviously it is an N1 target rather than an EPR and I cavy remember it off the top of my head as I don't fly them! (I will look it up later but from memory it's something along the lines of Gross Weight in tonnes plus 7, I think). Power + attitude = performance and this will give you, roughly, a 3 degree flight path angle descent. It is a starting point - make small tweaks from there to correct as necessary, and generally aim to come back to (or close to) those datums after each correction.

- Rate of descent for a 3 degree glide = Groundspeed x 5 (my brain works quicker by dropping the zero and dividing by 2 -- eg ground speed 140 kt drop the zero = 14, 14/2 = 7 so approx 700 fpm). Again this is a rough figure to get you in the ballpark and if you are deviating significantly from this number then this is a sign your approach is unstable.

- Get yourself configured early in level flight at Vapp, aligned with the extended centreline. As the PAPIs come in to 2w/2r, gently ease the nose and thrust to the datums above and let go! This should put you on a nice 3 degree glide with very little intervention needed. Again, just small smooth corrections to maintain centreline and glide path. Your aiming point should be the 1000ft markers -- FS PAPIs can be inaccurate so be prepared to discard them, especially below 200ft. Keep the aiming point fixed in the windscreen but remember to maintain the correct angle of descent - judged visually (runway perspective) and using the PAPIs. Avoid the temptation to come in low and flat. Get a good scan going - outside AND the instruments - it is vitally important that you continue to monitor your airspeed etc.

- Coming through 100ft it is very important that you are nicely stable because of the way in which the Airbus works (flare law). Avoid the temptation to chase the glide path excessively at this point, especially if you are slightly high - just accept it or, if you are really high and thus are going to miss the touchdown zone, then go around and try again. LOOK OUTSIDE.

- At 50R you should be over the threshold. LOOK OUTSIDE - at the far end of the runway. This is very important!

- At 30R start the flare with gentle but positive back pressure. Keep looking down the runway as this is how you judge the pitch change in the flare - visually, NOT on the PFD. You are looking for around 2-4 degrees of pitch up, which is JUST enough to be perceptible as a change in attitude.

- At 20R close the thrust levers and HOLD the attitude - this will likely require sustained backpressure.

Wait for the touchdown!

I have produced a video about this for 'the other lot' but I shan't link it here -- however the above is the bones of it.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

vor 8 Stunden , skelsey sagte:

Let us know how you get on!

After about 4 hours of touch and go at SFO I have to say these tips helped me a lot. Especially the glidepath is way easier now. I feel like I don't even need to monitor my V/S anymore, because it's just so much easier to focus on the runway bars and see if they drift upwards or downwards. 

Also the flare tips are awesome. Sometimes it's still difficult to avoid harder landings (150-250fpm), but that's just a matter of practice I guess. Also I found out flaring works out a lot easier for me when I focus at the end of the runway at around 50 feet agl. 

And I just managed to make the smoothest visual landing ever, -1FPM! I even recorded it with my shabby iPad camera if you want to see :D

Again, thanks for all the great advices. 

Archived