Flight planning via TRKS on oceanic flights. (Have read the manual but still confused)

Hi there,

I am very confused with the route optimized tool, it seems doesn't work when planning via PACOTS.

It doesn't plan the route via valid PACOT, which should be TRKA or TRKB in this case, and it keep sending the same results to me regardless any option(MDT/MTT/MFT) is chosen.

Please login to display this image.

This is the route (HNLNRT) planned, ignoring tracks is not ticked. According to the manual.

This is the minimum fuel route optimized by the flight planner, noticed the flight plan distance is 3345.5 nm

This is the minimum distance route provided by the flight planner, the flight plan distance is still at 3345.5 nm. Notice the TRK offset.

This is the minimum time route provided by the flight planner, the flight plan distance is still at 3345.5 nm, the route is practically identical to the other two routes. 

Now take a look at the wind. The TRKA,B are still valid but I don't know why the tracks don't show up even I ticked it. However, the headwind component on this route during the whole flight is clearly stronger than the route provided by the tracks. Which we don't want it. 

What makes me angry is, this is exact the same route it generated for me yesterday, you know flex tracks change every day right?

The route planner seems always creates the route that is closer to the great circle route, it doesn't seem to take account the TRKS and wind components into the consideration, no matter which option (MDT/MFT/MTT) is selected.

However, when flying eastbound, it works. But when it comes to the westbound flight of Pacific. It doesn't work.

I don't know why this is happening, it makes sense when it shows up an MDT route, that is closer to the great circle route distance. But does it suppose to create the identical route when time saving/fuel consumption is required? 

I am here to ask the users and devs. Does anybody here has encountered this issue before? How do you fix it?

Any suggestion or the response will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

The wind optimization feature in PFPX seems to be broken/disabled since v 1.28. Pls see below thread.

Hopefully the developers are addressing the issue, but radio silence for some time now.

Regards,

Michael.

16 hours ago, srcooke said:

Maybe as luck would have it the route planned straight off via PACOT:

Yeah, the eastbound works. But things go wrong for westbound. Thank you for the information anyways :)

15 hours ago, Mklemme said:

Hi Gordon,

The wind optimization feature in PFPX seems to be broken/disabled since v 1.28. Pls see below thread.

Hopefully the developers are addressing the issue, but radio silence for some time now.

Regards,

Michael.

Thank you! I am hoping devs fix this in the future. 

The westbound track was utilized here but this was the only track option and close to GCR.

With different tracks available take a look at the 'direct' links for track entry and exit. You may need to add new entries using the airway editor.

Whilst there has only been PACOT track Alpha, albeit via different waypoints, available in recent days PFPX has on each occasion planned via the track Gordon.

Archived