Steering Tiller Engage Dis-engage button

Has anyone managed to program the steering tiller button on/off toggle I guess you'd call it i.e. the little button on the top of the tiller to a keyboard command or better still using the Saitek X55 throttle unit? I have been all over the internet trying to find a way.
Maybe the only way is to use a mouse macro but have not much of an idea on how to accomplish that although I have seen a couple of video's about them. I ask because I have managed to go speeding down the runway only to find I cannot use rudder pedals
to steer as I forgot to disengage the tiller duh! so a button on my throttle quadrant would be great.

Thanks for any info.

catmar

Did you enable the tiller up via the CoPilot MCDU settings?  After doing so, it should be an easy matter of setting up the tiller AXIX via FSUIPC.

Regarding enabling and disabling, I believe this can be done by using the MACRO function in FSUIPC.

Best wishes.

Hi Dave,

I have set up the steering tiller with no problems which works great now that I have practiced with it for a while. Not able to find any key for the enabling and disabling so
I believe you are right in that I will have to now learn how to set up a mouse macro so I can use a button on my X55 Throttle unit.

Appreciate the reply.

Clive

On 30/03/2017 at 2:10 AM, catmar1944 said:

Has anyone managed to program the steering tiller button on/off toggle I guess you'd call it i.e. the little button on the top of the tiller to a keyboard command or better still using the Saitek X55 throttle unit? I have been all over the internet trying to find a way.
Maybe the only way is to use a mouse macro but have not much of an idea on how to accomplish that although I have seen a couple of video's about them. I ask because I have managed to go speeding down the runway only to find I cannot use rudder pedals
to steer as I forgot to disengage the tiller duh! so a button on my throttle quadrant would be great.

Thanks for any info.

catmar

Just a point of note, because you mentioned that you "forgot to disengage the tiller". That button is only there for very specific circumstances, specifically on the line it is only used during the flight control check. Having the button on or off doesn't disengage the tiller, having the button depressed disengages the nose wheel steering from the rudder pedals, so you can check the rudder pedals during the taxi without plowing off the side of the taxiway. So that button is undepressed before the control check, you depress it, perform the control check, then undepress it again straight after. I only say this because the way you worded this made it sound like you need this button on to be able to use the tiller during the taxi, which isn't the case. In short, the button has nothing to do with the tiller, except that it is placed on the tiller for ergonomic reasons. In the actual aircraft it isn't a toggle - it is a button that you have to physically keep held down in order for it to function (to disengage the rudder pedals from the nose wheel steering).

5 hours ago, HAL-9000 said:

Just a point of note, because you mentioned that you "forgot to disengage the tiller". That button is only there for very specific circumstances, specifically on the line it is only used during the flight control check. Having the button on or off doesn't disengage the tiller, having the button depressed disengages the nose wheel steering from the rudder pedals, so you can check the rudder pedals during the taxi without plowing off the side of the taxiway. So that button is undepressed before the control check, you depress it, perform the control check, then undepress it again straight after. I only say this because the way you worded this made it sound like you need this button on to be able to use the tiller during the taxi, which isn't the case. In short, the button has nothing to do with the tiller, except that it is placed on the tiller for ergonomic reasons. In the actual aircraft it isn't a toggle - it is a button that you have to physically keep held down in order for it to function (to disengage the rudder pedals from the nose wheel steering).

Thank you for that information, that's very interesting and now I think about it very logical, indeed I was under the impression that it was needed when using the tiller on the ground for taxi. So now with this in mind I will have to run up the sim and try to see
if I can steer the Airbus on the ground using the tiller without engaging the button in the down position. Thanks HAL-9000 so glad you made it back to Earth.

catmar

1 hour ago, catmar1944 said:

Thank you for that information, that's very interesting and now I think about it very logical, indeed I was under the impression that it was needed when using the tiller on the ground for taxi. So now with this in mind I will have to run up the sim and try to see
if I can steer the Airbus on the ground using the tiller without engaging the button in the down position. Thanks HAL-9000 so glad you made it back to Earth.

catmar

Daisy, daisy, give me your answer do...

I'm glad to help.

Archived