Madeira X Evolution - Sloped Terrain / Runway Lights

mburkhard

@MK-Studios

I would like to report two issues which I hope will be fixed in an upcoming update:

• Runway lights: I'm afraid the runway lighting is incomplete. For one thing the runway end lights for RWY23 are white, but they should be red. They are correct though for RWY05.
    Furthermore the runway centreline lights are missing the intermittent red lights towards the end of the runway, as well as the yellow runway edge lights, also towards the end of the runway. This is missing for both runway directions. It was however present on the old version of Madeira.

• The sloping terrain next to the runway is of rather poor quality regarding its texture. Compared to the flat grass areas around the runway this part of the terrain is of very low resolution. This might not be noticeable on landing, but is unfortunately very well visible when entering the runway for backtrack RWY05 via C. See attached screenshot. Furthermore there is a prominent cut between textures visible (marked with red arrow), so due to this the low resolution is even more apparent.
    Perhaps this sloped terrain texture next to the runway could be provided with a higher resolution? And placing a few 3D bushes up there towards the edge might help too, they are present on the photo texture after all. Adding some 3D bushes might disguise the low resolution even better.

Please login to display this image.

Thank you for the new airport, I'd love to see it a bit polished before you go all in on your new project :)

Markus

Thanks, looks promising!

Regarding the runway lights, check these two photographs to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/TAP-Portugal/Airbus-A330-223/2331925/L

http://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/621364/L

You can clearly see both the yellow RWY edge lights towards the end, and the red & red/white centreline lights. Both are present in either RWY direction.

13 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

As always the problem with photo's is that you need very recent ones to be useful. One of these is 13 years old.

It doesn't matter in this case Mathijs! You see, one of the photos is only 4 years old, and the issue is runway lighting right? One very recent example where you can see that I'm right is your very own charts you sell as a license, LIDO. They do show both the red/white centreline lights as well as the yellow edge lights at the end of each runway. So yes, they are there, trust me. Now the photos I linked show exactly that, both of them. Just for MK Studios to see what I mean. 

So a 13 years old photo shows that the runway lighting is incomplete in the scenery. A 4 years old photo shows the same. And the up to date 2017 LIDO charts of LPMA show the same yet again. What more evidence you want to realise that this is indeed an issue? Must I copy the info out of the Portuguese AIP for you? ;)

• 5 weeks later...

@MK-Studios

Thank you for V1.03, the sloped terrain is looking very much better now!

However the runway lights are still far from being correct. The runway end lights for RWY23 are still white, but they should be RED, the same as RWY05! Come on, this is basic stuff! ;)

Furthermore, the runway edge lights at the end of each runway should be YELLOW, not red. You can clearly see this on the photos I've linked above. And it is also well documented in the AIP and charts.

And if you want to do it 100% correct, the centreline lights towards the end of each runway first alternate between white and red before they get fully red, also visible in the photos above.

I know you might consider this being minor details, but from a very able developer like you I would actually expect that the basics for flying are being done correctly, and that includes the runway lighting. If you don't want to fix all the items I've mentioned in this post, PLEASE at least fix the runway end lights for RWY23, it just looks so wrong when they are white instead of red! You've managed to do it for RWY05, so I'm sure you can do the same for the other side :)

Thanks,
Markus

• Developer

Hi Markus,

with the next update the complete Lightsystem will change and will fit the definition in the charts, like correct edge and centerlines, Papi and leadin flashes, which are not correct to yet.

Did you have infos to the theshold lights? In the chart it is not clear defined, if there are "only" Wingbars or the if there are if there are lights at the thesholdline too?

At the moment I have only done the Wingbars, based on how I read the chart.

Edit: just see your airlines photo, even when it is old, I don't thing they remove the light, so I will add them.

Hi Oli,

it is my understanding that the ICAO standard requires for full threshold lighting for runways with instrument approach procedures flown onto them, so not just the wing bar lights. But I will dig up the corresponding ICAO documents next week at work to make sure. Anyway, since LPMA features a displaced threshold on both sides, it is even more reason to have full threshold lights. And adding to that I've never seen a runway equipped with touchdown zone lighting but only having wing bar lights, that doesn't make sense. So full threshold lights as you have done them for v1.04 is perfect!

Thanks for the screenshots, looks excellent! I owe you a beer for these perfectly done lights, so I hope to see you next weekend :)

• Developer
Vor 1 Stunde, mburkhard sagte:

Hi Oli,

Thanks for the screenshots, looks excellent! I owe you a beer for these perfectly done lights, so I hope to see you next weekend :)

Booked, we see us next weekend ;)

Archived