Aerosoft Airbus on Steam - No Configurator? Other Issues?

Adam4kq

After excellent reviews online, I had the Aerosoft Airbus on my list of desired planes for FSX.  Recently, it became available for an excellent price on Steam, so I pulled the trigger, but now I am wondering if the version on Steam is different or watered-down compared to the version you can download direct from Aerosoft (for the record, the only reason I purchased through Steam is because I had a credit on my Steam account).

I've read about a configurator that allows you to install liveries and build loadsheets, but I can't seem to find it.  Also, I am having the well-documented issue with the throttles, but the repair tool I downloaded can't "find" the Aerosoft Airbus on my system.  And lastly, the external model doesn't load in my flights (exterior views show only a cockpit hovering above the ground).

Did I screw up by buying this through Steam?  Am I going to have to purchase it again direct from Aerosoft to get full functionality out of it?

-Adam

• Deputy Sheriffs

You should find the configurator here:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\500201\Aerosoft\Airbus A320_A321\Aerosoft.AirbusX.A320_21.Configurator.exe

and the livery manager here:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\500201\Aerosoft\Airbus A320_A321\Livery Manager\Livery_Manager_A320_A321.exe

A disappearing (or black) external model is a sign for not enough memory in your sim. Do you have the "HIGHMEMFIX" installed in your FSX:SE?

Some really good background information on memory usage within FSX can be found here:

7 minutes ago, Adam4kq said:

Did I screw up by buying this through Steam?  Am I going to have to purchase it again direct from Aerosoft to get full functionality out of it?

That shouldn't be necessary.

Tom,

Thank you very much for the rapid reply!  I will check that out when I get home.

I'd be a little surprised if there was an out-of-memory issue as my system is pretty high-end and runs PMDG products without issue, but I will definitely check it over.

Again, thanks!

-Adam

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Adam, 

it is not so much a question if you have a high-end system or not. 

FSX is an old 33bit application and is limited to 4GB RAM. Without the mentioned HIGHMEMFIX it's even less, 3GB. 

Additionally the memory management of FSX isn't the best. When it was developed more than 10 years ago the 4GB limit was still far away as there simply weren't any add-ons around that used a huge amount of memory. So Microsoft didn't spent too much energy into an intelligent memory management. Prepar3D is way better in this perspective (from v3 on). 

Okay, so I've got the configurator and the livery manager sorted, but the throttle issue is turning out to still be a problem.  I downloaded and installed the Aerosoft Launcher to do the recommended fix, but the Airbus does not show up in the library (PFPX, which I've also purchased, does).

Admittedly, I have FSX installed to a non-default directory...how do I tell the launcher to look for the airbus in the correct folder?

EDIT:  Reinstalled the DLC, and now it works correctly.  Please disregard, and thanks for your help!

-Adam

Archived