AIRBUS A321 WONT DECENT FROM FL40

hwqg06

Hello guys! I don't know if this is the right place to ask about this but i need help.

I have just started flying really good and i think it is really fun! I always fly from EKCH to ENGM. I understand all the basics but i need a easy right on point answer just how ti fix it. When i fly from EKCH to ENGM when i hit 4000 it continues decending to hit the runway and everything is fine. When i then try to fly from ENGM to EKCH and everything is fine until i hit 4000 it wont continue decent and never i hit the runway and i need to fly manually. What is happening? I need a easy understandable answer 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Please post a screenshot of the second (faulty) situation from the moment where it doesn't decent on the GS. The screenshot should cover the PFD, ND and FCU and be in .jog or .png file format.

With this it should be quickly possible to tell what went wrong with your approach.

2 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Please post a screenshot of the second (faulty) situation from the moment where it doesn't decent on the GS. The screenshot should cover the PFD, ND and FCU and be in .jog or .png file format.

With this it should be quickly possible to tell what went wrong with your approach.

Hi Tom! I dont have any screenshot so then i need to start a flight now and fly it. Could you tell me what PFD, ND and FCU means? Is there any other way than screenshot you can find out?

• Deputy Sheriffs

No, there is no other way, as I have no clue what you might have programmed wrongly into your MCDU or what other side effects might occur here. That would more or less all visible on the screenshot.

Everything else is just wild guessing...

About the acronyms: you might want to work yourself through the provided step-by-step guide (Vol6-StepbyStep EN.pdf) and perform the included tutorial flight. Not only it explains all acronyms it also makes sure that you learn how to program everything correctly.

Sorry, how long you fly the airbus?

Mode = Mode of Autopilot System

PFD = Primary Flight Display

ND = Navigation Display

FCU = Flight Control Unit

For the descend from 4000 ft to the Rwy in EKCH you can use different modes. What are you doing, and what does not?

21 minutes ago, FraPre said:

ND = Navigation Display

For the descend from 4000 ft to the f in EKCH you can use different modes. What are you doing, and what does not?

When i arrive ENGM i fly with the purple diamonds and the AP automaticly lines up with them to hit the runway. When i arrive EKCH it stops decending at 4000 and the AP dont follow the diamonds anymore and i need to fly manually

32 minutes ago, FraPre said:

ND = Navigation Display

For the descend from 4000 ft to the Rwy in EKCH you can use different modes. What are you doing, and what does not?

I am using PFD the one with the purple diamonds

O.k., i think, you means an ILS Approach, and this does not work in EKCH? What rwy you´ve choose, you´ve an filled magenta diamond for the LOC and GS signal?

In EKCH the altitude at the FAF (Final Approach Fix) for beginning the final approach is 3000 ft (in ENGM 4000ft). When you fly to hight at FAF the GS will not captured and the airplane will not follow the GS signal.

5 minutes ago, FraPre said:

O.k., i think, you means an ILS Approach, and this does not work in EKCH? What rwy you´ve choose, you´ve an filled magenta diamond for the LOC and GS signal?

In EKCH the altitude at the FAF (Final Approach Fix) for beginning the final approach is 3000 ft (in ENGM 4000ft). When you fly to hight at FAF the GS will not captured and the airplane will not follow the GS signal.

Oh! That means instead of setting it to 4000 before i initiate decent i set it to 3000? 

Yes, you must descend at 3000 to the FAF. Each airport has individual altitudes for the final approach (altitude at FAF / FAP - start of final approach), partially different for each runway.

You can see this in the approach charts.

1 minute ago, FraPre said:

Yes, you must descend at 3000 to the FAF. Each airport has individual altitudes for the final approach (altitude at FAF / FAP - start of final approach), partially different for each runway.

You can see this in the approach charts.

At EKCH i always land on ILS rway 04L. What's the FAF 4 that rway?

13 minutes ago, FraPre said:

For EKCH you´ve here Jeppesen Charts from google (nearly currently)

http://www.pentekesti.com/sites/default/files/charts/EKCH.pdf

For ILS Rwy 04L  Page 77  (3000 ft)

I wanna land at ESSA but at jeppesen it has one thing where it says climb to 1500 but another saying 2500 i think. At rway 1L could you check what is correct? 

Best will be if you show some screenshots of the approaches that do not work out.

This will make it easiest to follow up on what happens.

18 minutes ago, FraPre said:

For the ILS approach the altitude at FAF is 2500 ft, the initial alltitude for the missed approach procedure is 1500 ft.

http://www.pentekesti.com/sites/default/files/charts/essa

ATC can you give an other altitude!

Thank you! I'll try to fly from ENGM to ESSA now to test :D I'll be back with more information soon :)

1 hour ago, FraPre said:

For the ILS approach the altitude at FAF is 2500 ft, the initial alltitude for the missed approach procedure is 1500 ft.

http://www.pentekesti.com/sites/defas/charts/essa

ATC can you give an other altitude!

It didn't work. It was stuck at 2500 and didn't decent... What should i do I h8 not being able to land????!?!?!?!?

• Deputy Sheriffs

How about providing finally some screenshots so that we are able to see what you did/configured and why it failed?

I have no idea more slowly, maybe you fly first the tutorial flight from Aerosoft, a faulty operation excluded.

Before, how Tom says, maybe another post pictures, of all the major instruments and panels when the error occurred

Just one thing that hasn't been mentioned, and one that hasn't been mentioned directly.

1.  It's important to make sure the scenery ILS Frequency matches the AIRAC frequency/ILS Frequency you're using.

2.  One always intercepts the glideslope from underneath it rather than descending down into it - at least real world. I don't know, but false lobes probably aren't simulated in flight sim, but it's always best to intercept the glideslope from being at a level altitude beneath the glideslope and flying into it.

On Sun Mar 26 2017 at 7:42 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

2.  One always intercepts the glideslope from underneath it rather than descending down into it - at least real world. I don't know, but false lobes probably aren't simulated in flight sim, but it's always best to intercept the glideslope from being at a level altitude beneath the glideslope and flying into it.

Haha, one always TRIES to intercept the glideslope from underneath it. Generally not level though, unless you have a pressing reason to do so - causes too much noise, you see.

Screenshots are required. It honestly seems useless trying to provide help without screenshots to go on. How can we tell you what to do properly when we don't know what you're doing wrong? Are you just doing that Copenhagen transition that goes off into infinity, or are you actually going to the runway? Are you, as DaveCT2003 says, below the glideslope (the little diamonds are above you) when you are on the localiser (LOC) appears in Green text on your main screen (FMA on PFD)? Need screenshots. There's a wealth of information on this forum for people who want to learn to fly the airbus, but unfortunately we will need you to put in the effort of posting a screenshot or two before help will be useful.

Archived