Landing Memo and Autoland

Bobraw

1   Where is the Landing Memo on the Airbus?

2   On the approach the Airbus loses vertical control on Auto land  and stays at about 3000 ft. (On some flights e.g. EGLL 08R and 27L). I have checked and re-checked the Step-by Step doc many times but no help there.

As Tom says, it would be useful to see some screenshots.

The Landing Memo is displayed on the left lower quadrant of the Upper ECAM.

I have conducted literally hundreds of approaches and landings to LHR and LGW with the Aerosoft Airbus and I have never had an issue with it failing to capture the glideslope. Remember that GS mode will not engage unless you are first in LOC mode. This is how the real aeroplane works too, and it is a quite sensible safety feature to prevent the aeroplane from descending on the glideslope outside of the area that has been assessed as terrain and obstacle safe. If you do not arrange your descent so that you are on or slightly below the glideslope at the point at which LOC* is annunciated, you will, quite clearly, never capture the glideslope and continue in level flight, and I suspect this is what has happened in your case.

• 2 weeks later...
On Wed Mar 22 2017 at 10:35 AM, skelsey said:

As Tom says, it would be useful to see some screenshots.

The Landing Memo is displayed on the left lower quadrant of the Upper ECAM.

I have conducted literally hundreds of approaches and landings to LHR and LGW with the Aerosoft Airbus and I have never had an issue with it failing to capture the glideslope. Remember that GS mode will not engage unless you are first in LOC mode. This is how the real aeroplane works too, and it is a quite sensible safety feature to prevent the aeroplane from descending on the glideslope outside of the area that has been assessed as terrain and obstacle safe. If you do not arrange your descent so that you are on or slightly below the glideslope at the point at which LOC* is annunciated, you will, quite clearly, never capture the glideslope and continue in level flight, and I suspect this is what has happened in your case.

Not too important, but I want to clarify that capturing LOC while above the glideslope is fairly common, although not something to aim for, and capturing the glideslope from above is an established procedure  (I post this in reaction to saying that you will NEVER capture the glideslope in this fashion. It's just not the case. Maybe you meant if you were maintaining level and trying to do so...?

Not too important, but I want to clarify that capturing LOC while above the glideslope is fairly common, although not something to aim for, and capturing the glideslope from above is an established procedure  (I post this in reaction to saying that you will NEVER capture the glideslope in this fashion. It's just not the case. Maybe you meant if you were maintaining level and trying to do so...?

Oh yes, absolutely. What I was trying (clumsily!) to say was that you have to be on a trajectory that will take you 'across' (or 'in to') the glideslope beam - either descending fast enough to 'catch up' with it if you are capturing from above, or flying level starting from a position below the glideslope. As most people posting with issues (and I would guess the OP) tend to be descending in managed descent towards the platform altitude, I suspect that many 'not descending on the glideslope' issues are a result of being (perhaps even marginally) too high, getting in to ALT* and subsequently flying away from the glideslope.

You are, of course, quite correct in saying that it is possible to capture the glideslope from above, provided of course that you follow the appropriate procedure to ensure you are descending at a suitable rate and will not get in to ALT* ;).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Archived