Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AIXtreme2K

ACL AP / Autothrottle looses control + other problems

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I practised a lot to land on a carrier. Manually it works better after hours of practicing but the ACLS gives me troubles.

Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

• At 15 nM I slow down via Airbrake and reduced throttle 
  • ACL/PCD on
  • Below 200 knots I lower the flaps and turn speedbrake off in order not to become slower than 130 kts
  • Gear down, hook down, 
  • Usually I manually trim the cat until it does not climb or descend. Hard, but it works somehow. I am missing an index, to see what my trimming is doing. Some kind digital wheel that moves upwards or downwards depending on my trimming.
  • "Shift+7" Aid helps me to bring the cat onto the glideslope. Works good at lower airspeed. It's hard to keep the ball centered, but I manage to keep it in the darker green area at least
  • Its about 10-8 nM to the carrier. A/P Ref, ACL Ready indicator already comes up at that point (even earlier).
  • I switch to Autothrottle now. That's the point, where the "aid" moves the cat up and down unpredictably. It won't just adjust the AoA, it climbs. Sometimes it descends very fast. Whatever it does, From this point on, I loose the ball. Since I am too close to the carrier to catch it again I need to turn around and give it a new try.
  • When I do not switch on autothrottle, I can turn on ACL AP. But, not surprisingly, the autopilot too kicks the cat around like it lost control. Usually it makes the F-14 climb, or it sends the bird right into descend. In that case too, the aid never keeps the ball in the center, it acts like the ball never was there, like it never had a target.

One thing I noticed is, that the flaps go down, but the spoilers don't. I set a keystroke to spoilers. I CAN set the manually. Somehow I missed that point. Is it neccessary to rise them when approaching the carrier?

Another thing is, that one of my engines cought fire while approaching runway at Miramar. AoA was perfect and throttle wasn't applied too much. Is there a way to prevent the engines catching fire while approaching at slow speed and high AoA?

You can have the F14 completely dirty in the landing config and the autothrottle will handle it. So you should set full flaps, speedbrakes out, and DLC if you want it.

Are you getting fires or just engine stalls? I would turn off the engine realism settings.

As I tried again yesterday I noticed, that Autothrottle, as you said, keeps the cat in perfect approach AoA unit.

But the Autopilot, the ACLS, once engaged takes control of the stick (I can see the stick moving on its own9, but it never keeps the ball centered. It drifts to the right without stopping, not taking care of the ball travelling outside the center.box. The next try it prolly sends the bird off to the left, again without even "noticing" the glideslope or ball.

Why is that? The ACSL should keep the centered ball in place on its own, shouldn't it?

I will turn off engine fires to see if that saves the engines from catching fire. Yeah, it's on fire. No stall.

Outside of a set up issue, I'm not seeing the same gross corrections with ACLS operating, only the glideslope deviations found in the "ACLS missing the boat" thread. Otherwise the aircraft stays on lineup/glidepath from engagement for me in FSX-A. Also remember, the "autoland" system in the real world was never 100%, especially in the Tomcat days and many pilots did not trust/use it. You have watched the tutorial vid?

I haven't really had any fires from day one of download, many stalls but I'm sure those were sefl-induced as I learned to fly it.

I have only had a couple of ACLS automated traps that actually made it to the deck and caught a wire ... I just get sick of setting up for the approach, just to miss/bolster... so now if I use ACLS I use it to a point...  I just let it fly till about 1.0 NM or just before ball call then I take it... I prefer to use auto throttle at night (at least until late in the approach)... then I overide  the autothrottle (by moving my throttles)

I make sure I set my physical throttles to 86% (depending on weight)... before engaging autothrottles....

That way I don't have gross differentiation between physical analog position and last auto throttle position.

I get better grades at night... the day approaches are tougher because I don't have Track IR.... using POV for me just doesn't cut it... so usually end up LIG 

fun stuff... I wonder if DCS boat ops will be as good... or if xplane will get a carrier MOD by Austin or 3rd party?