P3Dv3.x vs P3Dv2.x compatibility

WebMaximus

This post is mainly for Mathijs.

Recently I reported an issue with LIRF where upgrading to the latest version caused issues with the ground textures. Oliver hinted it might have been caused by the fact that the SDK used for the ground textures in the latest version of LIRF is only compatible with version 3.4 of P3D where I'm on version 3.2.

I later downgraded to the previous version of LIRF and the ground textures issue went away indicating Oliver was right.

I then noticed the announcement of the latest version of LEPA and LEMH and with the issue at LIRF in fresh memory I asked if these products would be compatible not only with the latest version of P3D (3.4) but also previous 3.x versions such as 3.3 and 3.2.

I later found out the answer myself by trying it out and it worked OK also with 3.2 which is the P3D version I'm on so all good meaning the problem with exclusive P3D version 3.4 compatibility only is found in the latest version of LIRF.

Reason I create this new post is Mathijs was a bit quick closing my previous posts with an incorrect comment no one should expect V2 support if it's not stated on the product page.

That is the reason for this post and its topic....this isn't about P3D V2 but different versions of P3D V3...a big difference!

This is especially important when the product page for LIRF for example clearly states it's compatible with 3.2 which is not correct after the latest version of LIRF since it's now only compatible with 3.4 of P3D and no previous versions of 3.x. Note 3.x...not 2.x.

If this will be the way forward also with other products I suggest you make it very clear that anyone upgrading to/buying these latest products/versions will only be able to use them successfully if they are on version 3.4 of P3D exclusively meaning no version 3.3 or 3.2 users.

You should also update this on the product page of LIRF since the information is currently incorrect as already mentioned.

Archived