TACAN wrong? No DME range on NAV Frequency?

AIXtreme2K

Hi,

another problem I just discovered I cannot solve on my own.

I bought the 80's Miramar Scenery. Looks great, works fine with P3D V3. I also downloaded the related charts of Miramar KNKX.

The TACAN of KNKX is said to be 33X. When I enter this Tacan no ILS needles or DME will show up. Whatever Steer CMD Channel I switch to, no signal or anything shown on HUD or HSI. Ain't 33X the right Tacan? ILS neddle should show when right, ain't it? Or did I get something wrong? When I load this scenario the tacan is set to 84X by default. But I don't get any DME range info or ILS needles.

When I open the NAV Panel (Shift + 6) and enter the ILD Frequency of KNKX (111.15 - taken from the downloaded charts) I can see the ILS needles but I don't get any information about the distance to the airport. I need to know how far I am away from the runway when weather is bad.It reads TCN 0.0 in HUD.

Anyone can help me with that? In case I got something wrong, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Not a P3D user yet, but MS didn't include TACANs in previous versions of flight sim. So unless the scenery designers put the TACAN in using a VOR/DME. or you have a scenery file with fake TACANs that work in FSX, the NKX 33X is not going to be there. My only suggestion is to use the GPS for distance info while shooting the ILS 24R, but it's always sunny in SOCAL right???

Ah, ok. I thought Tacan would be "translated" to VOR/DME/GPS when entered because otherwise the Tacan Translation sheet in the manual would be useless.

True, it's always sunny there. :)

Can you tell me where I can find the GPS setting for KNKX on the chart? I cannot see any ADF setting.

Seems I worked so much with Tacan, ACLS signal etc I  lost sight of the wood for the trees. :wacko:

Thanks in advance!

I finally understand how this works. I had to switch to another Steering CMD channel in order to see the distance to the set TACAN.

Only one thing left which I don't understand. I tried to land at KSAN San Diego Intl. ILS/ LOC is 111.15. I entered the frequency in the Cessna panel (Shift+6) but no ILS needles showed up. Sparrwohead HUD, ACL/PDC selected. 

The distance is shown on the HUD but no ILS needles.

• 2 weeks later...

KSAN is 110.90 in FSX.... unless they updated the "DAFIF"... I fly the KSAN ILS in the F14 all the time... I believe that I use AWL... I also believe that when you enter the TACAN the corresponding NAV 1 freq shows up.... you get the ILS freqs either by going to view-> maps or with GPS... I had similar issue in X-Plane because it does update. I don't like how Dino's T-45c carrier  doesn't give ILS to ship on ADI or HSI... just on HUD.... but does for runway ILS...

Meanwhile I checked Navaid Settings of KNKX and KSAN by the use of the app "ADE".   http://www.scruffyduck.org/downloads/4584110854

Both installed addon sceneries missed setting the ILS Frequency to the right one. KNKX Mile High Miramar even left DME out.

With ADE I could change the ILS frequency for KSAN to 111.55 (52Y) as shown on the chart and added DME to the ILS at Miramar. 

Archived