Old graphics card keeps showing up in fsx.cfg

Aquilam

I've been using SIMStarter NG for a year with great success, however I recently replaced my GTX 780 GPU with a GTX 1080. Unfortunately, now whenever I start FSX via SIMStarter I have to reset the screen resolution and anti-aliasing settings.

When I examine my fsx.cfg I see that there are several display entries, one for my new GPU and one (or two, depending when I look) for the older GPU that no longer exists. I've edited fsx.cfg directly via SIMStarter's File > Open > fsx.cfg and deleted the legacy entry(s) for the GTX 780, but when I examine fsx.cfg via SIMStarter's Tools > Config File Editor... I still see the legacy entry for the GTX 780. When I attempt to remove that entry, I get the error: You are not allowed to remove a section! I also run the Config File Editor's validation tool, it flags bad entries which I remove and save, but then they come back again.

No matter how I edit fsx.config, one or two entries for the GTX 780 keep coming back like a ghosts from the past. And it seems that SIMStarter's File > Open > fsx.cfg and  Tools > Config File Editor... are looking at two different files. I don't get it.

This is making me crazy. What do I do?

fsx.CFG

I finally resolved the issue by going directly to \aerosoft\SIMstarter NG\data\userprofiles and manually employing a search & replace text utility to scan all .cfg files and replace all instances of the old GPU with the new. 

Archived