Does anyone know a FSX Cursor fix?

CaptainLHKLM

Try the mouse-effect settings like shadow and trailing in windows. Besides that, there's nothing you can do about it. When the pointer is visible, it'll cost you some frames I'm affraid.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Aerosoft

Sure... AutoHideMouseCursor. (http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/AutoHideMouseCursor). 

Anybody who runs FS should have this auto starting. I got the timer set to 3 seconds.

Please login to display this image.

• Aerosoft
4 hours ago, CaptainLHKLM said:

Hi Mathijs (If I can call you by your first name:ph34r:),

However it can work on e.g. desktop, but not in flight sim itself. Any thoughts?

Feel free to call me anything you like!

You mean the cursor stays visible in the sim at all times? That's not happening on my system. Are you using FS full screen or windowed?

The cursor issue is one that is nasty, it has been like that ever since FS98 and has been bugged LITERALLY every in tests (ahum I did report it every time) but it was never addressed. 

Based on what your system specs are... Mathijs is on the right track asking about what the cursor is doing.  I strongly suspect that you need to revisit your graphics settings (soup to nuts) and be sure you don't have a program constantly accessing your hard drive.  I say this because based on your system specs (why I asked for them) you should not have a cursor issue - at all.

Though I suspect there is one settings grossly out of whack, there is no way to find it without looking at everything. Pus looking at everything will help you to tune up your system for the best performance. One of the best guides for setting up FSX can be found on the AVSIM Website HERE.  I'd recommend reading completely through the Guide one time, and then going back through it as you setup your system.

My very best wishes to you.

Is your cursor flickering?  Do you have 3 monitors?

I recall having this issue when I used to run three monitors.  I seem to remember it only started when I accessed a popup window.  I will search through my docs to see if I ever found a fix, although I can't remember one right now.  From memory the flickering cursor started when trying to access certain 2d panels, and I think it may have had something to do with a 2d popup window not appearing due to the wide screen, and being the wrong size to suit it.  Once started the flickering cursor remained, and was annoying.

Try googling "fsx 3 monitors cursor fix".

Here is one helpful result for that issue from the Aerosoft forums:

Cheers,

Hi,

No I do not have 3 monitors, just one square one. Also, I should have stated my mouse drop is more prominent in e.g. Fly Tampa Amsterdam. Now I am in AGGH and it does look like the fps drop is there, but they stay over 30 fps.

Thanks!

• Aerosoft
21 minutes ago, CaptainLHKLM said:

Hi,

Also, I use FSX windowed.

Thanks!

But then AutoHideMouseCursor really should work. It's one of the very first thing I install on a new system. Really solves a nasty bug in the sims.

Hi all,

Do you think my FSX:SE is under performing then at mainly less than 30 fps with the mouse using the NGX, Flytampa EHAM, ORBX Global, Vector and Europe, ENVTEX, REX soft clouds, REX 4 TD and ASN (the ones I can recall relatively quickly).

Thanks!

Mathijs is correct on the FPS.  It depends on many different factors.

Now, given your system specs, without any type of weather engine or textures, I'd think you could average far greater than 30fps at a default airport.  Move to a payware airport and you'll have to do an apple to apple comparison.

I run a 4770K with all 4 cores at 4.3Ghz (constant), an NVIDIA GTX960 (low end of the 900 series) with FSX/P3D running on a 55 inch 4K TV and x3 23 inch LCD Monitors. I also run quite a large array of flight sim software in addition to FSX/P3D and I run test/monitoring software, an HD Stream and I monitor the stream.... all at the same time, all on the same computer.  I average 30fps at just about every payware airport and my FSX/P3D settings run average to above average.  I do not have any sort of mouse cursor issue and I'll say it again that if you're having this then it's highly likely that you need to tune your system (graphics settings in and outside of the sim, weather engine/weather graphics settings, running programs, and programs accessing the disk - including computer security software and Windows related processes).   With your system, you shouldn't have the problem that you're describing.  One other thing... I'd love to know what cooling you're using and what your Processor Temps are when you're running FSX/P3D at a payware airport.

Under FSX and P3D I run REX Texture Direct/Soft Clouds, ActiveSkyNext and/or ActiveSky2016, FTX Global Base and FTX Global Vector, payware airports for any airport I fly in/out of.  I only run payware airliners including the Aerosoft Airbus (tremendous and only getting better), Aerosoft CRJ-700/900 Beta (incredible), Leonardo Maddog MD-80 Professional, Dash 8 Professional/Training Versions, and PMDG MD-11, 737NGX, 777 and 747.

NOTE:  I've maintained 4 different desktops, each running practically identical software as what I run on my 4770K and not a single one of them has any sort of issue including with the Windows Processing Circle that you've mentioned.  I have never had to hide the mouse and never had any issue with the Windows Processing Circle unless there was a 2D panel that was running at a non-standard resolution (due to running FSX over x3 23 inch monitors via ATI Eye Infinity (similar to NVIDIA Surround).

Below are the processors for the desktops I maintain. All but the i5 are able to average 30fps. The i5 is more variable, often between 20 and 30fps depending on the scenery and aircraft being run, and like my i7-4770K it runs a full time Twitch/YouTube stream output.

i7- 960 (3.2GHz)  This is a former system which I no longer maintain, but I ran it for years.

i5-2450 (3.2GHz)  Current System

i7-3770K(3.5GHz)  Current System

i7-4770K (4.3GHz)  Current System

The 4770K is my work horse.

Each system is water cooled.

Thanks for the long reply!

I can average over much over 30 fps at a default location with default aircraft however, as we all would like, my system just is not really hitting the 30 fps with mouse cursor in Amsterdam with payware aircraft. I also use DX10 by the way. As for cooling, what is the easiest way to check this? P3D probably ran a lot better, just now it is that I do not use it (as you are not allowed to get entertainment from it according to the EULA?:blink:). For graphics settings I did tweak them in NVidia inspector. It is not that the mouse loading circle pops up, I may have been unclear, it is just the normal triangular shape (unless FSX is acutally loading sometimes). I have attached the FSX settings below; the PMDG 777 seems to be even worse. It also seems to be the VC mainly, as I was receiving 15-20 fps inside, but 50-ish on the outside. Maybe P3D was better:unsure:.

Thanks though!

FSX_SE_Settings.docx

2017-2-28_19-22-54-865.BMP

2017-2-28_19-23-4-79.BMP

Daniel,

You can use Hardware Monitor (freeware) to check your temps.

If you're getting anything other than the Mouse Arrow then unless you've changed your mouse cursor it seems to me that something is processing.  This often takes the form of an Hourglass, circle, etc.  Again, anything other than the Arrow.  This is why I'm focusing in on settings, because after the initial load you shouldn't see anything other than the Mouse Arrow. If you do (and haven't change the default appearance) then something is amiss and you need what I refer to as a FSX/P3D System Groom (the settings and checks I mentioned before).  This is especially given your system specs.

I hope the information has been helpful.

Best wishes my friend.

ASN (and any other weather engine) will regularly input weather data into the sim.  As such, it's going to have an impact on performance, so really no news there.  AS2016 will impact performance even more than ASN will.

I'm going to again refer you to the AVSIM setup guide. There is a lot to do in grooming your system to run FSX/P3D at maximum performance (even reasonable performance) so it will be both an education and a little time consuming, but this is what is required to run the simulator at this level (payware addons). I really want to emphasize this - it's going to take some reading, learning, and trial and error - but the Guide helps A LOT, and it's well worth doing it.  We all have to do this.

Best wishes!

• Aerosoft

But don't expect miracles. A lot of people spend weeks tweaking and are super happy with the results. But when looking at it objective they might have gained little or nothing. For me FS is not a hobby but a job, it pays off to have it running well. And I spend a lot of time tweaking, only to find out that apart from the high mem tweak everything has side effects (make it faster is mostly done by making it less intelligent). On my system it does not matter AT ALL if I close all my apps before starting FS, let alone disabling services etc.

Hi all,

Thanks for replying once again guys! Perhaps I will try a reinstall during the weekend, with addons to a minimum, and then see if there are any changes.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived