EDDF v2.08 fps problem

Mike Ionas

Hello Captains!

First of all let me clarify that this not a VAS issue, I have absolutely no problem with VAS and I have read the relevant thread but could not find anything relevant.

I am using P3D v3.4 HF2 and the other relevant addons in the area are FTX Global NG Ultimate, FTX Global, Vector and Orbx Germany North. I have the options trimmed to my system capabilities and personal flying style to get a smooth flying experience without any VAS or fps issues, especially since I like long haul flights. Therefore after a lot of testing I believe I have a balanced system, sacrificing looks for performance where needed. This is a clean system in a partition dedicated for FS without any non-FS related software to avoid unnecessary conflicts. Finally there is absolutely no pirated software in my FS partition (yes I am one of those few who buy everything they use..).

Having said that, let me explain what I am facing. Yesterday I decided to make a trip to Frankfurt since I had the scenery for some time but never got around to try it out. Usually before going to a freshly installed airport with a descent aircraft I pay it a visit with a default one, either the piper cub or the F22 to make sure everything is ok. Loaded the F22 on the runway threshold for a quick test run. Initially I was getting 30 fps (locked) when I noticed that every few seconds when I was moving only the fps would drop to 5 then back to 30 creating an unflyable experience. The free VAS at the time was ~2GB. I checked my hardware monitor and noticed that the GPU, an Asus ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1080 OC edition 8GB, was spiking every few second when I was trying to move at an around the airport. My first step was to disable Germany North and Vector to see if that was the culprit but no luck. Then I disabled the airport only and everything went back to silky smooth. There was no weather used during the testing. Usually when I fly to a "heavy" area like London or New York or Los Angeles I do experience a drop in fps to ~20 but the movement is smooth despite that with constant fps. For some strange reason in Frankfurt the GPU is spiking every few seconds resulting in momentary fps drops and subsequent hangs in the sim. It seems that the airport is the culprit. Anyone else that has faced a similar situation and found the cause for it? I have a complete collection of German Airports (and a lot of other payware airports for that matter) but this is the first time I am facing something like this..

Any ideas?

Regards,

No. It happens anywhere in the vicinity of the airport when I move or look around. If I am static in any direction the frames are locked to 30. But any movement causes the spiking. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the airport just in case but no luck. I am now experimenting with settings to see if something specific is causing this, although my only tweaks in P3D are FFTF=0.01 and an affinity mask..

I tried removing the cfg and let it re-create itself but no luck. Then I also try disabling NVI just in case but still no luck. I am running out of ideas at this time. I have no problem in any other Aerosoft airport with my current settings (and I have quite a collection). For some reason this strange behavior only occurs in Frankfurt. For the time being I give up..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem in FSX. Searching for an solution since the airport was released but had no luck...
I tried:

- Disabling every addon except EDDF v2
- reinstall of fsx and install of Service Packs and EDDF v2 only
- standard cfg
- tweaked cfg
- tests with disabled/enabled hyperthreating

Everything did not solve the problem.

Yes, as soon as the aircraft starts to taxi or I swivel the view, fps starts to drop down to 5, stay there for some seconds and go back to 30 (locked) just to fall back to 5fps some seconds later again. Then they raise to 30 again and so on.
I do not experience this kind of problem at any other airport-scenery I have installed.
For now I only can imagine a hardware related problem as the airport works fine at a lot of users...

My system:
Win 7 64-Bit
i7-4790K @ 4,00GHz; 4 CPUs
16384MB RAM
GTX 760; 4095MB

What I did not try yet is using DX10 with DX10 fixer but I don't know if this will bring any effect. 

No AI traffic.

I made a test with the resource monitor and couldn't find any process running every 5 seconds.
I also tried different IAS: Drops appear more often in faster speeds. On 0kt GS I do not experience these drops if I don't swing my view.

• Aerosoft
19 hours ago, Mar97 said:

No AI traffic.

I made a test with the resource monitor and couldn't find any process running every 5 seconds.
I also tried different IAS: Drops appear more often in faster speeds. On 0kt GS I do not experience these drops if I don't swing my view.

Okay, so there is some process that runs inside your sim every 5 seconds that cause the FPS to drop that does not seem to happen with other users. I honestly have no idea what could cause this.

Well there are some more users having the same problem.
I think there is a problem with loading of textures, bmps, ... as the intervall of these drops is getting shorter the faster I get but I can't specify it.

• Aerosoft

Yes we have indeed two users who have reported that issue and a few tens of thousands that do not have it.  That seems to suggest something specific on these machines that is not the same on all the others. At this moment I simply have no idea what that could be. 

Is there any possibility to implement the new apron layout (so new taxiways, gates etc.) into the old version of Frankfurt? That would be enough for me at the moment ...

Okay, I made it by myself.
Using now EDDF v2's apron layout and EDDF v1's objects which reduced the fps drops to 15-17 fps which is flyable for me. 
But I hope there will be any solution in the next future.

Hello,

I have the same problem. I get 50-60 fps at EDDF V2 (2.11) and every 5 seconds it drops to 5 and it stutters like crazy. When it does not stutter its buttery smooth. I run other sceneries like FlyTampa Amsterdam and other big airports at 40-60 frames depending on weather etc. Hoping there will be a fix in the future. I dont have any process running every 5 seconds either, its clearly a problem of the scenery, since its the only scenery which does this, and I own hundreds of sceneries.

Regards

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, Mar97 said:

No AI traffic.

I can confirm that drops are more often at higher speeds. I believe that the problem is somehow graphics related as in P3D, when the fps drop occurs, the GPU is spiking while the CPU activity remains stable. At a fixed view in any direction everything is stable as a rock, but once I pan the view or start moving the problem starts. Day or night seems to make no difference. I have pretty much tried everything you mention in your first post but I haven't managed to find a solution. For some reason my system refuses to like Frankfurt and I cannot find why..

Yes. These drops appear definitly only with Frankfurt v2. It's a pity, because this scenery is really beautiful and I'm not able to use it ... :( 

The result of my test(s) is that those 2 files cause 75% of the appearing drops:

EDDF_PH_lib.bgl
EDDF_TH_lib.bgl

If you turn them off, fps just drop down to ca. 15 instead of 5. 
Unfortunately those 2 contain nearly every object (building etc.).

• Developer
vor 5 Stunden , Mar97 sagte:

The result of my test(s) is that those 2 files cause 75% of the appearing drops:

EDDF_PH_lib.bgl
EDDF_TH_lib.bgl

If you turn them off, fps just drop down to ca. 15 instead of 5. 
Unfortunately those 2 contain nearly every object (building etc.).

When you disable the library, it is clear that your frames goes up, because the sim has nothing to do anymore, less read of files from the disk and so on. Not helpful.

Archived