Dealing with common scenery between Sims

Bert Laverman

I have quite a lot of scenery which consists of several entries in the scenery.cfg, and which is the same for FSX, FSX-SE, and Prepar3D. These are not installed, but simply downloaded and unzipped in a directory of my choice. A good example of this is BlueSkyScenery, which I have in separate entries per US state, plus one for the airports. (the AFCADS) Currently I have to add or remove each one-by-one to each of the simulators. I can use spacers to enable and disable them easily, but my experience is that a lean-and-mean scenery.cfg greatly improves startup time. Actually, If I have all scenery in the config file, especially Boxed FSX will tend to run into problems.

Would it be possible to have Scenery config sets for such areas (NL-2000 is another big one) which are stored separate from the 'official' scenery.cfg, and can then be added and removed, rather than using the enable/disable? That way I can have one BlueSkyScenery config set, which I can easily reuse for all three simulators. It would also allow me to e.g. disable ORBX Vector or FTX Global when I want to use a scenery that conflicts with it (especially their elevation corrections are terrible because of the extremely slow scanning tool), because if you only disable it, FTX Central will get confused and re-enable parts anyway.

I know you can currently have different config sets, but as I understand them, they work as different versions of the scenery.cfg rather than blocks of scenery you can easily add or remove.

• Developer

Hi Bert,

got your point. But I decided to keep everything inside the scenery.cfg file because otherwise it can cause trouble especially for unexperienced users.

For this case you can use "External scenery.cfg files" just by creating them with 3rd party software and enter the path in "Scenery settings":

Please login to display this image.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, ahuimanu said:

Thanks Ernest,

I had migrated from SceneryConfigEditor to use SimStarterNG.  It seems like this is a hybrid approach then.

Fortunately NG was written to honor the extra lines that SCE writes to the scenery.cfg file, so both can be used without fear of damaging either.

42 minutes ago, airernie said:

Fortunately NG was written to honor the extra lines that SCE writes to the scenery.cfg file, so both can be used without fear of damaging either.

Thanks again - I suppose that'd make a good "How to..." stick up above.  I recently moved back to Sim Starter NG after trying it last year (and not spending enough time with it to understand its nuances fully).  I use it to help manage sim resources (as do most I suppose).

Archived