Checklist problems F-14 P3D

AIXtreme2K

Hello,

I try to make my way through the checklist of the F-14 Tomcat and got stuck while checking. (on deck of the Kitty Hawk)

Checklist Prestart

• Taxi: Hook -Down/Up : I moved the lever in the cockpit for the command hook down. The hook did so and came down but somehow it got stuck. I couldn't move the lever to "hook up" position. Anyone can tell me how move it to the right position again to get the marker in the checklist? The lever moves slightly up then simply jumps back to the hook down position when clicked. It seems to be stuck or blocked.
  • Nose Wheel Steering On : Perhaps I missed it in the manual but I cannot find a switch for "Nose Wheel Steering". Where is this switch located? Or do I have to assign a key to this? 

Another things I noticed is that the hat for Wingsweep in the 2D menu (shift+3) seems to be functionless.

And the last problem so far is, that I assigned the z-axis of my joystick to rudder. On the ground I cannot steer the F-14 when taxiing. I already tried several options like reverse axis but it didn't help. Anyone can tell me how to set it up right?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Karsten

I had the same problem with the tailhook but I solved it by assigning it to Shift Q changing the time between keystrokes.  I assigned nosewheel steering to shift G but also the tailhook has to be up (and/or the Tomcat should not be knelt) for nosewheel steering to work.  Since your tailhook is stuck down, I doubt the nosewheel steering is working either.

For the hat, you have to "Drag" it, ie, put your mouse over it, press and hold the mouse button, and move the mouse in the direction you want to move the hat switch.

v6,

boNes

Thanks for your answer.

I will try to assign keys to tailhook and Nosewheel steering.

What I need to know is, are the commands named "Tailhook" and "Nosewheel Steering" or else?

I looked through the key commands, but I think I did not see Hook, Tailhook or Nosewheel Steering. As I remember some time before I had troubles with the Maneuver Flaps. I had to assign keys for this command but I had to add a keyboard command for "Floats" to use maneuver flaps.

Is there a part in the manuals where I can see a list of P3D /FSX commands and their uses in the F-14X?

Tried it once more. Tailhook works when activated via keystroke. This time I cannot move the maneuver flaps. Neighter up nor down. At the virtual Joystick in the cockpit there is a small white button on the lower left side of the stick. Once I rest the mouse over it the popup window tells me "NO INPUT". When I hit the key defined for maneuver flaps up (floats up) the small button moves an releases when maneuver flaps down key is hit. 

If you have FSX Acceleration then there is a key assignment for tailhook (it sounds like you already have it since your hook works now).  This is also something you need for carrier ops to get the Tomcat to kneel on the deck and get attached to the shuttle via the launch bar for cat launches. By default it is Shift U and Shift I respectively, but I think in the Aerosoft Tomcat you have to physically hit kneeling the Tomcat/extending the launch bar to get that to work.  The keystroke works in Dino's F-14D though.  Also note that the tailhook has to be up for nosewheel steering to work.

The button that you are hitting on the joystick sounds like the DLC (Direct Lift Control) button.  This is for configuring the Tomcat's control surfaces (flaps, spoilers, slats, etc) for low speed operations such as carrier landing, making it more stable to handle. If you go outside of its parameters it will disengage and the configurations go back to regular operation.  I recall having your problem with the maneuver flaps but I forgot what I did to fix that--I think they are linked in with DLC so just clicking the button in and out is enough to satisfy the maneuver flaps checkpoint..  There is no physical lever for maneuver flaps as these maneuver flaps engage automatically when the Tomcat exceeds a certain AOA or G.  If you go to an external view you will see these maneuver flaps engage and they are not the same flaps as the ones you drop for landing in the cockpit.

Good luck!

v6,

boNes

I do not have the acceleration pack. Only play on P3D.

Thanks to your answer I managed to mark the check box. Nose wheel steering is activated by hitting Shift + G. 

I've got two problem left. Taxi Checklist tells me to set Throttles to mil. Somehow I can't move both throttle handles to mil exactly enough to get the checkmark.

And the last problem: I set rudder control to z-axis of my joystick. In any F-14 turning the joystick on the z-axis won't move the rudder pedals so I also can not steer the cat while on ground even with activated nosewheel steering. The z-axis simply shows no action.

Choosing another plane, like the Beechcraft turning the joystick on its z-axis makes the virtual rudder pedals move.

vor 23 Stunden , bonesvf103 sagte:

Are you sure nosewheel steering is on?  There will be an indicator on the left front canopy frame.  First place to check.

v6,

boNes

I turned nosewheel steering on and it works. Turning on z-axis now turnes the frontwheel.and (at last) I can steer the moving bird. Great!

I also manged to work my way through the whole checklist.

I moved forward on the carrier, placed the front wheel exactly over the launch device, set nose strut to "kneel" but from this point on it didn't go any further. The F-14 "bumped" on the nosewheel when I tried to check "(Carrier) Holdback Bar".

In order to learn what went wrong with the catapult launch I read the Carrier Operations Manual. I guess the solution to this problem can be found there.

Thanks to boNes! I really appreciate you help!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived