Aerosoft African Adventures: Airstrip vs. ICAO

Fab10

Hi,

Before we begin, I would like to state that my geographic expertise of Kenya is lacking, though ti is not based entirely on AAA's map, and furthermore I understand that a simulation is precisely that, and that a mission map within an adventure depicted in a simulation is perhaps never going to be enriched with absolutes. Thus, I may be entirely wrong, and since I am quite tired of searching for an answer, I felt the need to refer to the experts, this being Aerosoft who brought the product to market.

The broadly generalised airfield map that is provided with AAA shows Laikipia Air Force Base HK0G and Nanyuki HKNY to be two separate airstrips, and this of course agrees with the scenery depicted within the simulator.

However, I am finding it increasingly difficult to determine whether these are in fact two separate airfields, be this in Google maps or in a Wiki list of Kenyan airfields, and the conclusion that I am having to draw is that these are in fact one and the same airstrip.

SkyVector shows HKNY as a Kenyan airfield but HK0G is not shown; Google Maps satellite imagery does not suggest the presence of an airport to the North or South of where HKNY is shown (please refer to my attached JPG).

Under Google maps, the general layout of the HKNY airstrip matches closely the layout of HK0G within AAA, and searching for HK0G under Google maps doesn't return anything, whereas HKNY does.

There is also a discrepancy with respect to the LAT/LON coordinates of both of these, but considering that the overall situation quickly becomes confusing, I won't even try to list precise coordinates, though I invite you to do so if you wish.

Please could Aerosoft comment on this possible anomaly, as airfields depicted with real world ICAO's might be justly expected to be aligned with real world facilities?

Thanks,

Fabio

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Laikipia AB got no official ICAO code. The one used in this addon is fictious, so that it can be found in FSX.

Please login to display this image.

Archived