I have narrowed down a list of laptops to the ASUS GL502 with these specs (keep in mind I plan to run P3D)
Intel i7 7700HQ
Windows 10

16 ram
1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
GeForce GTX 1060  w/6gb memory

What do you guys think? I plan on running a good amount of addons (scenery, planes, everything)

Is a desktop really that much better than a laptop? (I don't understand why as I won't be upgrading my laptop most likely)

Is there any other good laptop you can recommend? (I'm not going to build my own computer because its too scary for me^_^)

Thanks

• Aerosoft

We really can't recommend any laptop if it is not designed as a gaming laptop. Even though they might have great hardware it is always the cooling that let's them down. They run very fast for a few minutes but then throttle down to lower speed to avoid overheating.

It is important if you buy new hardware to keep a 64 bit version of the sim in mind. They will just LOVE memory and gobble up as much as they can. Before the year is over I think 32gb will be the norm. So while 16 Gb might be more then enough for now, make sure you can expand. If you can spring for a 512 Gb SSD you should do so, it's easy to fill a 128Gb one with FS addon's.

6 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We really can't recommend any laptop if it is not designed as a gaming laptop. Even though they might have great hardware it is always the cooling that let's them down. They run very fast for a few minutes but then throttle down to lower speed to avoid overheating.

It is important if you buy new hardware to keep a 64 bit version of the sim in mind. They will just LOVE memory and gobble up as much as they can. Before the year is over I think 32gb will be the norm. So while 16 Gb might be more then enough for now, make sure you can expand. If you can spring for a 512 Gb SSD you should do so, it's easy to fill a 128Gb one with FS addon's.

Ok so what desktop would you recommend? 

• Aerosoft

Well, that is a surprisingly hard question to answer at this moment.

With AMD's new line of CPU's getting closer to release we are seeing a bit more information on it and all seems to be positive. Not only will it beat Intel with bang for buck (according to some with massive margins, like a $400 AMD cpu performing as a $1100 Intel one), but mainly because the higher end ones will run 'unlimited' single core speed, only limited by the temperature. Even though all sims (except FS2004) are multi core capable, they are still very much limited by single core speed.  I would not buy a new machine until this is all settled. It could really be  a game changer.

If you need to buy now, just go with a cheapo motherboard and a faster unlocked i5. Those are perfect for P3D.

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Well, that is a surprisingly hard question to answer at this moment.

With AMD's new line of CPU's getting closer to release we are seeing a bit more information on it and all seems to be positive. Not only will it beat Intel with bang for buck (according to some with massive margins, like a $400 AMD cpu performing as a $1100 Intel one), but mainly because the higher end ones will run 'unlimited' single core speed, only limited by the temperature. Even though all sims (except FS2004) are multi core capable, they are still very much limited by single core speed.  I would not buy a new machine until this is all settled. It could really be  a game changer.

If you need to buy now, just go with a cheapo motherboard and a faster unlocked i5. Those are perfect for P3D.

Interesting... I always used to think AMD was a company to stay away from... 
What about graphics card? is a gtx 1050ti good? and what did you mean when you said that 16 ram would not be enough for 64 bit? (I think that's what you said) it surely should be enough? 

Archived