P3D weather radar

Zimmerbz

Can someone point me in the right direction on the proper way to use and understand weather radar?  I'm not 100% sure on what is realistically modeled vs. not. There looks like there is map, turb, wx t, and wx but each time I switch them something different is displayed. Can you advise?  Thanks!!

4 hours ago, Tom A320 said:

The original manual of the Collins WXR is quite informative:

Hi Tom,

Sorry to say, but I am always getting 0 b size file when trying to use the link posted above.

Same book was found on https://www.manualslib.com/products/Rockwell-Collins-Multiscan-Wxr-2100-3714321.html, which even after spending lot of time reading it, did not answer some of my questions. Main issue, which I am facing with A320 is that the only images got on the radar screen are some greenish areas, no matter what adjustment are applied on the radar control panel. I have Active sky installed and running, however no changes are observed. I will post images sometimes later when I am able to start the simulator.

Thanks!!

31 minutes ago, HAL-9000 said:

Here you go:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/885208/Rockwell-Collins-Multiscan-Wxr-2100.html?page=65#manual

Pages 65 to 72 explain all the bits you need to know about the modes of operation.

Is this simulated in P3D / Active Sky or are these INOP in the sim?

On 1/24/2017 at 3:14 PM, Tom A320 said:

Please show a screenshot of your ND and the WXR panel (.png or .jpg format). 

Hi Tom,

Please check the result after using the settings according to pages 65 to 72 of Collins Guide and page 15 of Vol6 - Step by step. There is obviously something completely wrong in the way how I am trying to use the radar, but unfortunately I am unable to get it.

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I strongly suggest to work yourself through the provided manuals, especially the step-by-step guide (Vol6-StepbyStep EN.pdf).

What you are looking at is the TERR ON ND, meaning the terrain, not the WXR ;) 

If you enable TERR ON ND the ND displays the terrain. If you disable TERR ON ND and enable the WXR via the WXR panel the ND displays the WXR.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2017 at 1:37 AM, Tom A320 said:

I strongly suggest to work yourself through the provided manuals, especially the step-by-step guide (Vol6-StepbyStep EN.pdf).

What you are looking at is the TERR ON ND, meaning the terrain, not the WXR ;) 

If you enable TERR ON ND the ND displays the terrain. If you disable TERR ON ND and enable the WXR via the WXR panel the ND displays the WXR.

Hi,

Unfortunately whatever combinations of switches I applied as per corresponding manuals left my screen blank. The only working option is TERR ON ND. 

Having all this   in mind, there should be only 2 options - I am very stupid (which I strongly believe I am not) or something is wrong with my system.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Lets focus on your system ;)

The WXR only displays precipitation (clouds are not equal to precipitation).. So if you don't see anything on your ND, I would assume there simply is no precipitation around you.

For test purpose just fire up your FSX with the stormy weather scenario, switch the ND range to maximum and enable the WXR (SYS switch to the left, all other WXR buttons and switches can remain in their default position). And of course don't forget to increase the TERR/WXR brightness via the outer ND brightness knob.

Now you should see something...

Archived