NO DIRECTS versus IGNORE DIR

Hi,

Great job on developing PFP X farther. It's a shame that the manual lags a bit behind with the updates. I have a couple of possibly bug reports (or possibly user error).

Firstly, there seems to be a error with the newly introduced Free Route Airspace feature (which I assume is ignored by the Advanced Route Planner using the Ignore Dir feature) when using the No Directs option. For most of the automatically generated routes I need to plan the route "manually" using the Advanced Route Planner. This because by default it gives a lot of route DCTs which are not in Free Route Airspaces (nor declared such in the PFPX database) and are failing Eurocontrol validation. Therefore I use the Route Planner with the No Directs option. The issue comes when needing to fly through a FIR (like LHCC - Budapest) which has switched completely to a Free Route Airspace. The DCT routes in that FIR should now act as Airways. If I would not want to use the DCTs I would use the Ignore DCTs option, but I want to use them instead of the airways, without flying on DCTs in airspace that does not allow off airway routes. So I select No Directs. Now because the virtual airways in the DCT database for LHCC are using a "DCT" route the planner ignores completely any airspace that does not have airways and flies around it. 

Instead of this behavior I suggest limiting the functionality of No Directs to non-database Directs only. That way if one wants to reach the behavior I am getting above it's easy enough to enable both No Directs and Ignore DCTs.

Thank you,

Eric Bocaneanu

Hi srcooke,

I already have the FRA LHCC file loaded. The problem as mentioned is the way the No Directs function works - it disables use of FRA Directs too (so it duplicates the functionality of Ignore DCTs, but does not allow to plan a route without DCTs outside FRA airspace).

On 1/18/2017 at 7:32 PM, srcooke said:

Have you checked the directs database for the invalid direct

If within European airspace checked added a suitable RAD restriction.

Hi srcooke,

The RAD is a separate issue that I have actually. I have had multiple cases where they are not taken into account at all. But I have to do a bit more research on this before making a bug report. 

As for the above mentioned issue, I'll try to make an example to reproduce later today. What is an INVALID direct? All the directs are valid and current. I was able to manually build that route, but with the same restrictions added the Finder dings an error on not finding a route. 

The best option is to post an example, PFPX uses directs that are in the database.

With the vast RAD complexity it highly likely that some intervention will be required to achieve a valid route unless paying many €€€€ more for a commercial planner.

Archived