Moving up to Flying VATSIM / IVAO

DaveCT2003

Friends,

This is splinter topic which started in the A330 Preview thread, and I'll start it off by re-posting my initial comment from that thread below.

This is a topic which should hold interest for those who have not yet taken the evolutionary step to flying online with other people in a realism based ATC environment.

With some flight experience of my own, and many years flying online, I've found that even those who fly on the two predominant networks (VATSIM/IVAO) still have a lot of things to learn which would improve their overall experience, so the purpose of this thread is to discuss:

1. How someone can get started flying on on these networks, and 

2. How people already flying on the networks can increase realism, immersion and better their interaction with ATC and other pilots.

3. How to fly Shared Cockpit on these networks.

THE INITIAL POST THAT KICKED THIS DISCUSSION OFF

Our hobby is so tremendously diverse, with many doors to open!  Some of those doors will not only lead to a better/enhanced experience flying the A330, but a better (even exiting) overall experience in flight sim!

Just a few examples:

1. If you don't fly on VATSIM or IVAO,  you can take this time to learn how (and if we get 6 or more people, I'll be happy to hold classes on flying online in a realism based environment, flight planning, communications - the works!).  There simply is not better, more realistic way of flying than online!  If you're not convinced, then at least give me a chance to convince you!

2. Flying Shared Cockpit (Connected Flight Deck).  The A330 will be the very first long haul, wide body aircraft for flight sim that has Shared Cockpit capability.  If you've not flown shared cockpit then you'll be in for a very special, even incredible experience!  The human interaction and team work make for exciting times and building some terrific memories.  Fly shared cockpit on VATSIM or IVAO and you'll reach an incredible level of flight simulation!  I still remember the first event I flew online in shared cockpit - it was absolutely amazing.  It's even better when you can fly with a good friend!  There are several shared cockpit groups where one can find someone to fly with.  While waiting for the A330, why not take the time to work on your Crew Resource Management (team work between the left and right seat) in the A318/A319/A320/A321 while enjoying this amazing feature that Aerosoft provided us with!

3. Join a group or Virtual Airline!  There are many terrific groups and VAs in our hobby offering everything from learning more about flight sim to performing group flights and events!

I come across people all the time who have been stuck flying at their computer alone, not being aware of just how many other things there are for us to experience! The best part is the interaction with people who share the love of this incredible hobby!

My very best to everyone!

6 minutes ago, iccowan said:

If you are flying on VATSIM, have the same aircraft, and are using vPilot can you not just fly shared cockpit that way?

Nope, basically what happens when you connect in "shared cockpit" mode is you don't show up to the controller. That way the ATC doesn't see two identical airplanes overlapping. The actual shared cockpit functionality is never handled by vPilot.

1 minute ago, Davetunes said:

mode is you don't show up to the controller

I'm pretty sure one shows up as an Observer, at least that is how it was with FSINN/FSCopilot. I know the Observer shows somewhere, as I've received text messages when flying as Observer.

Just now, DaveCT2003 said:

I'm pretty sure one shows up as an Observer, at least that is how it was with FSINN/FSCopilot. I know the Observer shows somewhere, as I've received text messages when flying as Observer.

Sorry, yeah, that's how it works. I meant that he doesn't see two airplanes and two callsigns. He just sees an observer.

36 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

It does Dave and just make a flight plan and put in the remarks "shared Cockpit". 

50 minutes ago, Davetunes said:

Nope, basically what happens when you connect in "shared cockpit" mode is you don't show up to the controller. That way the ATC doesn't see two identical airplanes overlapping. The actual shared cockpit functionality is never handled by vPilot.

Okay that makes sense. So I guess there are some freeware that have a shared cockpit feature as well?

There are three types of Shared Cockpit.

1. Micorosoft's Shared Cockpit

2. Third Party Shared Cockpit Leonardo, Majestic, Aerosoft, and Digital Aviaition (no Virtual Cockpit)

3. Desk Pilot.

I'll describe the different types in a functional manner.

Microsoft Shared cockpit is for Default Aircraft in FSX.  It works very well.

Third party Shared Cockpit uses custom networking to achieve a syncronized state between the two aircraft.

Desk Pilot uses networking to send keyboard commands, so switches in the Virtual Cockpit don't work between the two aircraft. It's not something that I've ever been interested in and for me, not really worth pursuing.

So to answer your question, you can fly Default FSX aircraft in Shared Cockpit, and this is done via the Multiplayer section of FSX.  Go to the AVSIM Shared Cockpit forum for good information on this (or you can also Google it).  If there is a freeware aicraft developed by someone other than Microsoft, it MIGHT be shared cockpit capable if they programmed the gauges with the Microsoft Shared Cockpit feature, bur I'm nor aware of any,

Before going into Shared Cockpit, I'd study the OVPA CFD Guide... there is a LOT you need to know first.

Dave I think this is a great initiative, I've accumulated over 2000 total hours on vatsim as a pilot and as a controller and would be more than happy to help out with teaching and assisting g new members, please let me know if you need my help!

I was flying on IVAO until i got 25 hrs online then i got problems with ivap and the work and study freezes my account, now i want to get flying online again and i was looking for a V.A. who accept charters flying and fantasie liveries lol, (i think is too much).

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI KII-L23 mediante Tapatalk

Sign me up. Been contemplating Vatsim for a long time and procrastinated. But cant get going on it just yet until my p3d is back to being stable. New computer , new p3d install and its highly unstable. Go figure.

4 hours ago, layth23 said:

please let me know if you need my help!

Thank you, I certainly will!

I'm sure we'll have no problem getting the minimum number of people to hold a series of online classes.

In the past I've used TeamViewer, as it allows for everyone to fully participate.  At the end of the second class, we will help those who need it perform a basic system groom to ensure they're getting at least 24+ frames per second, and take them up in Shared Cockpit on VATSIM to reinforce the information in the class.  From that point, we'll do the same after each class.

We'll have a meeting and tech session with those who wish to help, to review and where needed help them improve their computer security, then show them how to quickly/easily backup their entire system (just in case).  We'll also have a lost of what should be reinforced during the flight.

I've don't this a few times in the past, and after four classes and three flights, the people felt confident enough to take to the skies on their own - some even faster than that.  It's great fun for everyone.

I'll post the areas we'll cover later today, and start making a list of those who wish to be involved.

3 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Over the years we have always found all controllers very willing to assist beginners. Just don't ask when they are handling a bunch of pilots.

100% I would love to help out all the pilots who needed it but when I am getting rammed with pilots into a really busy airport please give me a break ;) 

4 minutes ago, layth23 said:

100% I would love to help out all the pilots who needed it but when I am getting rammed with pilots into a really busy airport please give me a break

I think there is a BIG misunderstanding.

There is absolutely no way I would ever use a controller to "help".  Sure, I've seen it done, but comparing to a class followed by a flight to reinforce the information, the amount that someone gets from such an experience is very small - if any.  Since we're talking about helping a pilot, much better to help from a pilots perspective in the virtual classroom and then on the flight deck. Then we can pick from a host of controllers who are already online, and work in a nature loaded environment.

So those who would like to help, GREAT!  But it's better to do this from the Pilots perspective, not controllers perspective.

18 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:
2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I think there is a BIG misunderstanding.

There is absolutely no way I would ever use a controller to "help".  Sure, I've seen it done, but comparing to a class followed by a flight to reinforce the information, the amount that someone gets from such an experience is very small - if any.  Since we're talking about helping a pilot, much better to help from a pilots perspective in the virtual classroom and then on the flight deck. Then we can pick from a host of controllers who are already online, and work in a nature loaded environment.

So those who would like to help, GREAT!  But it's better to do this from the Pilots perspective, not controllers perspective.

Hmm, I'm a pilot, controller and Supervisor. I help pilots on Vatsim a lot, with help understanding what is expected of the pilot, how to talk to ATC and what to expect. I help with pilot clients and help out new pilots with basic procedures. Controllers can help very much, most of the hesitation to do online flying is the fear of not knowing how to handle what is going on and how to talk to ATC. Most online pilots learn the opposite of real world, they start in a jet with a FMS/FMC and follow the magenta line without learning basics of flying. I see it a lot. Sorry Dave, I disagree with your statement. 

I'd be more than happy to help out occasionally, more as a "teachers assistant" than anything. I don't have a massive amount of time with Vatsim but I have my fair share of IFR and VFR flights on the network. I'd also love to put together a "getting started" guide for people new to the class to read. Get them primed for the course.

If needed I'd be more than happy to hop in a shared cockpit with someone and help them get started with VATSIM. (Once I learn how to fly shared cockpit lol). I think this is all a great idea as VATSIM sure is a big step but it's well worth it in the long run

count me in for those lessons, I'm mostly a train sim guy but a few years ago a friend, who is an actual airline pilot, convinced me to try out P3D, I know the basics of IFR but want to improve my knowledge

Dave, thumbs up for this initiative!

I will also want to participate in those lessons. I already had some flights on both networks but get real nervous each time I connect. It's that fear of ATC which I try to overcome. Some controlers have realy lousy Headphones or have some sort of an accent which makes it realy hard somethimes to understand what they are saying.

Please count me in from the point where you guys go online (so I don't need set up or configuration hints).

Thanks

5 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

Dave, thumbs up for this initiative!

I will also want to participate in those lessons. I already had some flights on both networks but get real nervous each time I connect. It's that fear of ATC which I try to overcome. Some controlers have realy lousy Headphones or have some sort of an accent which makes it realy hard somethimes to understand what they are saying.

Please count me in from the point where you guys go online (so I don't need set up or configuration hints).

Thanks

One thing I'll say about the headsets is that if you ever need a controller to repeat anything, ask them and they'll do it. My first time online I had my clearance repeated at least 10 times. 75% of controllers on VATSIM are very nice and willing to help unless there is an event going on or it is very busy. The other 25% shouldn't be controllers but don't worry about them because if you end up with someone like that, simply disconnect. 

On 17.1.2017 at 17:32, DaveCT2003 sagte:

A lot of controllers on the networks happens to fly online too, so we have experiance with the pilots perspective. If we have time we will help, if pilots ask for it.

vor 20 Stunden , iccowan sagte:

One thing I'll say about the headsets is that if you ever need a controller to repeat anything, ask them and they'll do it. My first time online I had my clearance repeated at least 10 times. 75% of controllers on VATSIM are very nice and willing to help unless there is an event going on or it is very busy. The other 25% shouldn't be controllers but don't worry about them because if you end up with someone like that, simply disconnect. 

I respect all the controllers and the pilots on both networks and tend to think they are proffessional (at least the ATC). Therefore I tried to prepare myself as good as possible: I know the basics of flying and navigation, I know my plane and handle it very good and with ease, I watch videos on ATC COMM's and I also listen to real ATC somethimes....

So after tuning in to real ATC and understanding most of the information, I connect to VATSIM (write also on vPilot the information that I'm a new pilot only to prepare the controllers) and some of them still talk fast, without any punctuation, not loud enough, have a bad mic...it's almost like a constant windcalmvisibilitygreaterthen20milesqnh1020squawk4342. Even after you ask: Say again for AirBerlinxxx, they talk the same without any enunciacion like a casette.

Because of respect, I tell myself I'm to dumb for this and start again practicing (also get nervous off course the next time I connect).

Archived