Check Baro reference captain

BillMe

I get this call occasionally from the co-pilot. Today I set the baro with the "b" key, only to have the co-pilot repeatedly try to reset it to 29.92. I had to do this 4 times before the co-pilot decided it was properly set.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you just land? If so, it's a known issue. Search this forum for a formal response from Aerosoft. It's on the to-do list, I am told, for the next upgrade/patch. I just pull both knobs to set it to STD 29.92 and that satisfies the request. I'm on the ground, taxiing or whatever, and don't care what the bao.pressure is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2017 at 10:15 PM, BillMe said:

I get this call occasionally from the co-pilot. Today I set the baro with the "b" key, only to have the co-pilot repeatedly try to reset it to 29.92. I had to do this 4 times before the co-pilot decided it was properly set.

If you're somewhere other than the united states, the transition altitude (the altitude above which you're supposed to set your altimeter setting to 29.92) might not be 18,000'. Once you're above this altitude, you're supposed to set your altimeter setting to Std (pull the setting knob).

If you press B to set the altimeter, FSX assumes that the transition altitude is 18000' and - if you're below 18000' - will set the local altimeter setting, while you should be setting your altimeter setting to 29.92 depending on where you are. That's why your copilot is mad at you.

If it repeatedly being set to Standard, it sounds like you may have started your descent and changed to local when descending through FL180.  As amahran mentioned, outside the U.S. the altitude may be different than FL180.  On approach, you might be able to look on Performance page for the landing information to see what transition altitude is expected at the arrival airport (this may depend upon whether/what airac data is in use).

Are you using an external weather engine such as Active Sky Next? Sometimes on a rare occasion FSX/P3D doesn't recognise that ASN is running, and therefore uses the standard built in default weather (which is set to default will always be 29.92). If you are using ASN, close it down and open it again. Give it a minute and let it load the weather into the sim.

Archived