Engine failure the second time within a few weeks

FlyingAxx

Hello,

Being myself an old PMGD pilot (a pure virtual one), I tried to learn the Bus now as well for about a month now or so. However, even if it is claimed here in the forum that it never had been intended simulating both, failures and procedures circumventing or handling those, I experienced now the second time a total engine loss in mid-flight (of course with low oil pressure indications etc.). Both times, I'd been already established for a while at FL380 for a longer flight (somewhere between 600 and 700 nm). As I have learnt the standard questions of the supporters here I'm going to answer at least the most common one in advance:

No, I didn't follow the full procedure in "Vol6 Step by Step" as I didn't leave the automatic any room to go through the checklist alone. I'd switched the F/O off and walked through the procedures myself, as I did several times successfully before and after experiencing the mentioned issue. Ah yes, there had been fully sufficient fuel in the tanks.

However, in both cases I have to state that the flight sim (boxed FSXA) had been running in the background for while (okay, pilot's error of course, insufficient awareness). FSX is configured to continue in such cases. My gear is a Win7Pro 64 running on a i7 CPU with 16GB available memory and Nvidia GTX 780 GPU, all in all providing fully sufficient frame rates if not flying a PMDG to Aerosoft's London Heathrow with maximum settings.

The first time I saw the issue while the A320 made a glide just above the stall speed through FL340 with both engines already dead. I tried restarting the engines (not knowing this time that It wasn't programmed to recover), stopped FSX in order to search the documentation for abnormal checklists or at least for helpful procedures, and finally restarted the plane by setting it up in a running engines state again. However it still dived and it happened that it only recovered to a stable flight after reaching the planned flightlevel again. It didn't react on climb thrust, but wanted the levers pulled full forward in order to proceed a manually forced TOGA mode without ever reaching the usual and expectable climb ability until being a while on level flight again.

The second time, almost under the same circumstances, although on a much different leg, I looked for some information by using my browser on a second screen when I saw engine #1 dying suddenly. I fired on the APU at once and closed  the failing engine while starting a descent to FL240. Of course it didn't help at all, as a bit later engine #2 began to pass away as well.

Beside the fact that I can understand the intention of Aerosoft providing a well flying aircraft under standard conditions, I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed as well as even much less complex planes like Aerosoft's Twotter) can restart their engines and recover or even fly sufficiently stable with the one left.

However, I want to bring your attention to the fact, that I never experienced any issue while FSX was running in the foreground, but twice while I fiddled with a different application. I don't know how and why, but probably this information might help tracking down the error as I've heard from others having the bus even longer in use that they got this issue as well randomly (I read it even here somewhere in the forum).

I hope it helps.

13 hours ago, eltechron said:

Does this happen with any other aircraft?

Not at all. When flying 8 hrs+ with PMDG 772 I can do what I want and nothing happens. Recently I jumped over the Atlantic by using the B737 NGX and had no problem (except 100 knots headwind).

Actually, I didn't check for reproducibility. I repeated one of both flights without leaving the sim out of focus and nothing happened too. That's why I got the idea it could have to do with using for a while an other application (if so I wouldn't have any clue why).

6 hours ago, FlyingAxx said:

Not at all. When flying 8 hrs+ with PMDG 772 I can do what I want and nothing happens. Recently I jumped over the Atlantic by using the B737 NGX and had no problem (except 100 knots headwind).

Actually, I didn't check for reproducibility. I repeated one of both flights without leaving the sim out of focus and nothing happened too. That's why I got the idea it could have to do with using for a while an other application (if so I wouldn't have any clue why).

Follow the instructions in this thread and see what happens. I doubt it will help but try it first.

and then if that doesn't work reinstall using these instructions

Good luck!

Thanks Joshua, my PC is quite in shape and I think I have even a better collection of runtime libraries than Mathijs recommends (I've read of course those articles before posting my question). Due to the fact that .NET is used in my case not only for Aerosoft's Bus, I'm confident that everything works as it should. However, even if the Airbus is nice, in any case it begins boring me with bugs I do have some alternatives in my hangar (even much more complex ones). It's not worth for me setting up the whole stuff only for chasing a phantom that might disappear (or even not) for a nice looking bird that even doesn't know anything else than flying under standardised conditions.

Archived