IAE A320 Speed falling uncontrollably on final

Jezb

Good evening.  I've given the A320 IAE 'one more go' (you may recall my ongoing posts struggling to manage speed reduction on approaches).

This time I used selected speed from about 40nm out and brought things back nice and slowly, the aircraft responded well and I was looking good for ILS intercept.

On deploying the landing gear the speed began to fall (as you would expect) but the autothrust didn't compensate and speed just continued to fall with no increase in EPR.  I disconnected autothrust and flew the approach using thrust levers.  At this point I had the same issue that I'd had before of thrust not reducing to idle when thrust levers at idle and I floated on down the runway.

I've attached a screenshot of what the cockpit looked like at the point of deploying the gear and at which the speed decayed with no authothrust increase.  Could someone please advise what I've done wrong (ie mode selection etc). And also, any ideas why, with autothrust 'off' why the throttles didn't return to idle when I drew the levers back?

thankyou in advance.

J

Please login to display this image.

I didn't see any issues with my Airbus. I had a look at the picture you provided again and saw your speed was set to 144, so of course the auto thrust is going to idle to slow down. Try the approach again with speed set to 170 and see if the auto thrust holds that speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Joshua.  There's actually two problems I had

The first problem was about 5 seconds after that screenshot -  that the speed reduced when the gear was deployed (obvious drag increase) but autothrust did not compensate by increasing from IDLE thrust to hold the 144 knots that was in selected speed mode.  

The second problem was that when I disconnected autothrust (as it was stuck at IDLE - see above) then I applied power to maintain the approach path.  When I then drew the levers back to idle for the flare the power didn't reduce as it should.

As I've covered before on this forum - CFM engine airbus, no problems, IAE - problems :( I wouldn't care less apart from I want to fly routes with Speedbird A320's and 321's, hence needing IAE's.

thanks again for looking

Archived