Speed up loading time

Hi all,

after several checks I want to share with you the following experience:

My usual loading time for FSX was between 2 and 3min including selection of aircraft (opening screen). By coincidence I recognized the fact, that loading FSX takes between 30 and 60sec (same procedure) when switching off automatic update service for Win7 ("never update- not recommended"). You need to reboot Win7 when changing update options- that's the only inconvenience. I can reproduce the phenomenon to 100%. Since then I check updates manually e.g. once per month- depends on what you prefer. They do not provide many updates in 3 months.

I am not sure whether the procedure above influences fps also. But for the loading time I am 100% sure. It saves a lot of time when doing specific tests and changes with lots of re-loads.

Best

Matthias

Intel i5-6500 3.2 8GB 64 bit Benchmark 5.7

• Aerosoft

Not to be nasty but that simply makes no sense.  FSX simply has not 'check for update' code in it. We know very well what happens when FS starts as it is something we need to know about for installers and it simply does not check any servers for new files. It's just not there.

Now I do not know why it does on your system but I would think it is an add-on that does that. Thing's like RAAS pro do check for updates, we are not fans of that. But these are code internal and not the system wide system like the windows update service you disabled. Simply said, if that service runs on FSX startup something very weird is happening. Something fishy, something you might be worried about.

On a personal note. checking once a month for windows updates is only okay if you know damned well what kind of threats are around. In the last 4 months there have been almost weekly new threats that needed fixes. A windows system that is not updated weekly is simply NOT secure . You should NEVER do any banking, emailing or anything like that on a system like that, and you simply have to accept it could be part of a botnet already. As said, you might be reading CERT notices all day long and know very well what your risks are, but you need to be a near professional to be safe that way. I used to be, but it takes an hour a day by now.  Let's put it this way, please do not send me emails! 

Dear Mathijs,

don't panic! I never claimed that FSX has an update code or something, neither I claimed that other add-ons have one. What I claimed is the pure experience from two different and independent systems- my old and my new pc. I have no add ons except Aerosoft ones (and GSX of course-its a must, much better than AES), nothing weird (its a bit funny how you think about my poor standard machine). I'm online since 1996, so I am not a greenhorn. But I never felt that paranoic fear about botnets and viruses and all that stuff. My machine is standard protected and I never go to strange web sites or open mails with strange attachments. Never had problems.

Regarding Win7-updates: According to me they don't issue updates every week- you can see it in your system control: "Your system is up to date". So why should I keep on searching for updates when there are none?

Btw: If you don't like RAAS- why do you distribute it in your products?

Thank you anyway for your care and the comprehensive description of what are the concerns of professional internet users. Most of your customers are people like me. I wrote my advice for them.

• Deputy Sheriffs
9 minutes ago, flugmatz said:

Btw: If you don't like RAAS- why do you distribute it in your products?

Mathijs didn't said that he don't like RAAS, he said that he is not a fan of the update checks it is doing ;) 

Computer security is actually something I know a little about.  One simply never knows when Microsoft will find an exploit and publish a fix for it.  Now, I loathe many Windows updates, but Mathijs is absolutely correct, it's best for the average user to allow updates.

Certainly, user behavior is the most important aspect in keeping ones computer secure, but the average person who goes online is often all but blind to the risks that exist.  This is why Windows updates are important.

Mathijs' advice should be followed for anyone who is not well versed in computer security and today's threats.

Additionally, I've been doing Flight Sim tech support for quite a number of years, and I really can't understand who Windows update affects the load time of FSX - unless perhaps it's checking for updates when this happens.  That might well occur if a system is only used a few times a week.

Best wishes to everyone!

The only thing that would make a difference about automatic updates is running FSX when updates are actually being installed in the background. Then the background activity takes up too much resources so there's less left for FSX. That would explain where this comes from. However, most of the time the system is not actually installing updates, so it doesn't matter.

Completely disabling automatic update is not a good idea, as said above already. Better just check if updates are being installed before starting FSX.

10 hours ago, nealmac said:

I always found that single most deadly killer on FSX/P3D load times, is traffic addons. Free addons like "World of AI" or payware addons like MyTraffic.

Absolutely correct.  Internally, this affects the load times greater than anything else.

On 1/9/2017 at 10:45 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

Computer security is actually something I know a little about.  One simply never knows when Microsoft will find an exploit and publish a fix for it.  Now, I loathe many Windows updates, but Mathijs is absolutely correct, it's best for the average user to allow updates.

Certainly, user behavior is the most important aspect in keeping ones computer secure, but the average person who goes online is often all but blind to the risks that exist.  This is why Windows updates are important.

Mathijs' advice should be followed for anyone who is not well versed in computer security and today's threats.

Additionally, I've been doing Flight Sim tech support for quite a number of years, and I really can't understand who Windows update affects the load time of FSX - unless perhaps it's checking for updates when this happens.  That might well occur if a system is only used a few times a week.

Best wishes to everyone!

IMHO, about the only "update" I found bad was Microsoft tried to "force" Windows 10 Home version on my Windows 7 Pro operating system through a Windows update, and said nothing about it changing your operating system to Win 10.  If they had wanted to upgrade me to Win 10 Pro, that would have been OK.

• Aerosoft
22 hours ago, nealmac said:

I always found that single most deadly killer on FSX/P3D load times, is traffic addons. Free addons like "World of AI" or payware addons like MyTraffic.

Yes that is because the aircraft are all partially loaded and checked on start.  Keeping the amount of aircraft as low as possible is always prudent. I run a VERY clean sim because of testing purposes and FSX start in 6 seconds, P3D in 9.

Adding on the Windows Update discussion, if you are on Windows 10 you can check the 'defer updates option' to make feature updates delayed but have security updates come in whenever they are released. In Windows 7 of course you can set updates to have them download/install manually. 

Archived