Problems installing LOWI into FSX Steam

TomcatUK

Happy New Year fellow flight simmers.

I have finally decided to move over to FSX Steam Edition (FSX SE) from FSX boxed. I have uninstalled my previous set up (FSX, scenery, aircraft etc), and am going through a new install. I had failed to realise FSX boxed doesn't like sitting alongside FSX SE on the same pc until the warning came up AFTER FSX SE had installed!! So I uninstalled both FSX boxed and FSX SE. I then re-downloaded FSX SE and re-installed it.

FSX SE is working and I have now installed two payware aircraft, however the first scenery I have tried to install ( Approaching Innsbruck LOWI ) is NOT visible in my scenery in FSX SE. The add scenery area option manually doesn't seem to work.

The software according to the executable is ApproachingInnsbruck_1.exe (version 5.0.0.127).

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

most likely it's not added to the scenery lib.

FSX-SE uses different paths / config-file names when in "side by side" mode - some installers have problems with that.

Just add it manually (but the install has to be in the FSX-SE Path as effects and "global" texture and scenery files are added there)

Thanks for the prompt reply data63.

This is NOT a side by side install (although I had originally intended to do that).

Does your advice stay the same?

A

it might have been better if you reinstalled Windows prior to your second FSX:SE install, but no matter so long as you removed all the FSX and FSX:SE folders. Might have helped to manually remove the registry of all FSX / SE entries as well.  Where you're at now, you may benefit from running the Flight1 Registry Repair tool, which basically resets the path to FSX for you.

When using installers that give you the choice of FSX and FSX:SE, you should select FSX (not FSX:SE, which is for side-by-side installs).

As someone pointed out above, you're scenery likely was installed, but not written to the scenery.cfg file. To correct, simply use the FSX Scenery Manager to manually add it.

Best wishes!

Thanks DaveCT2003.

I am surprised to see that I should be selecting FSX now (and not FSX:SE). Is that just for older installers like LOWI or do you think that applies to all installations from now on (scenery, aircraft etc)??

I have used the Flight1 Registry Repair tool and will have another go at sorting this out. I agree that it is not updating the scenery.cfg file , or at least the correct one!!

3 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

All installers.

Many thanks for the clarification. This is rather surprising for me as a Steam newbie, but I will try what you are recommending ('FSX' option instead of 'FSX-SE' ) and report back.

The information on that is accurate, and is actually included in the install instructions for every post-steam released software I've seen (which is A LOT).  The same goes for pre-steam software (select FSX). The FSX:SE selection is strictly for those who have a side-by-side install of FSX and FSX:SE.

Best wishes.

It's all working now and Approaching Innsbruck X (LOWI) is now back in my sim. Many thanks for all the help Dave and data63.

To help others that might face the same problems, the root cause of my problem was the initial installation of FSX:SE alongside FSX. Uninstalling FSX and FSX:SE and reinstalling FSX:SE does NOT automatically tidy up the registry and key windows folder paths. My solution was as follows (note this is where you wish to have FSX:SE on it's own and you do NOT have FSX installed on the same pc any longer):

1. Check the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\) .. I had some oddities where the subfolders present needed to be deleted and to ensure coexistence was set to 0. (otherwise it made it look like I still had FSX and FSX:SE co-existing). Check other resources for guidance here, such as http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14166.msg104727.html#msg104727.
  2. Tidy up windows folders manually to ensure there is no FSX:SE folder, just C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX (and NOT C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE which I deleted).
  3. When installing scenery into FSX:SE ensure you download the latest version of the product's installers, and select the "FSX" option (instead of FSX:SE) to ensure the correct scenery.cfg file was being updated.

Doing the above means I do not need to manually install scenery into the scenery library (so no more click on white-space workarounds for me!). Please note: I uninstalled all payware aircraft and scenery BEFORE I performed the steps above. This way, the installers worked as intended and you avoid scenery library errors.

I'm off to finish reinstalling my aircraft and other airports and then I can get flying again (without OOMs :D).

Archived