PFPX Not planning via flex routes (AUSOTS)

G'day,

Just bought the PMDG 777 so keen to get into some long haul stuff.

I have flex tracks online in PFPX, and despite trying a few different routes, it doesn't seem to plan via the flex tracks. At the time of writing the time is 08/1033z so the track I am trying to use is valid.

Example:

TDM TRK BP12
161108093001 1611080930 1611081530
TAXEG LAYUP MANNA IBABI AGROS HYDRA LODGE LUCRE ESP
RTS/YBBN BN H62 HUUGO Q116 TAXEG
ESP Q158 PH YPPH
RMK/AUSOTS GROUP

This track is Brisbane - Perth, PFPX spits out the following route: HUUGO5 HUUGO Q116 VIGUT T33 LEC J141 KG Q41 HAMTN DAYL1A.

Screenshot attached shows the flex track and the PFPX track. I tried with a few different AUSOTS tracks with the same result.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please login to display this image.

Hi Joe,

Check and make sure that the "Avoid Tracks" box isn't ticked in the advanced route planning menu.

Next, what flight routing options are you selecting? PFPX may have determined a more 'optimal' route than the flex track BP12 would give based on winds, fuel burn, etc. You can always compare the OFP outcomes in terms of en-route time and fuel burn for the two routing options (ie BP12 v. the PFPX generated route above) to see which is the optimal/preferred.

I have noticed on occasion that PFPX will not chose a defined track-routing (ie FLEX, NAT or PACOTS) if that would result in the total ground distance of the route being more than a certain percentage (usually around 4%) above the great circle distance between departure and destination, even if the track-routing would be more optimal. In other words if BP12 routing is most optimal but its ground distance is more than, say, 4% above the great circle distance (between YBBN-YPPH) then PFPX for some reason will not select it and will instead generate a routing which is within the 4% 'limit'. This can give spurious results in PFPX when the jet stream is far away from the great circle between airports by ignoring the most optimal routing (in terms of fuel burn) because it is too far removed from the GC. Hope I've explained this clearlyl.

Cheers

Mike.

G'day Mike,

Thanks for your response. I had a look and this option wasn't ticked.

As for routing options, I always select 'Find Route' and let PFPX do its thing. The options I have selected in the advanced menu are 'Min Cost' and 'Auto'.

After reading your reply I decided to give it another crack. I have now on a few occasions been able to get PFPX to plan via the flex track, to be honest I am not sure what changed from when I went to bed last night and woke this morning! I did pay a bit closer attention to the STD in PFPX and make sure it was at least 30 minutes after the TDM validity start time, but I was sure I did that last night.

With that said, I am still unable to get the BP route to work. As I try again the time is 08/2010z and the track is valid till 08/1530z, but If I tell PFPX I'm departing and arriving during the validity periods it still does not work. I would have thought this would be possible given Active Sky 2016 has historical weather mode.

Would be great to get some clarification from the developers on this functionality.

Cheers,

Joe.

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear you got it working somewhat. It may be that once the track validity time has actually expired (in real time), PFPX no longer recognizes the track even if you set an earlier STD during the validity period.

Let's see if the developers chime in.

Cheers,

Mike.  

Archived