Tobus

Poll on general directions from Kathmandu

Poll on general directions from Kathmandu  

10 members have voted

1. 1. To which general direction do you want to fly from Kathmandu?

• West, North, South (batch end mid Africa)
    • West, South (batch end south Africa)
    • West, South, North (batch end north Africa)

Tobus    113

Our earlier thread on this did not give a clear guideline.

So, here's a poll on general directions only. Multiple choices are available to any flyer.

Most gets the win, from which from October 28th I'll set up a set of legs.

Note that I see this coming batch as the second-to-last. The one after this will bring us home to Paderborn.

FlyingAxx    129
On 24.10.2016 at 2:05 AM, nealmac said:

Ending in South Africa looks to be the longest of the 3 options, so I went for that one.

I share your opinion. And then we could go along East Africa (the Kibo is a must), along the River Nil, via Cairo and Athens to Moscow. Then around the Baltic Sea and via Finland, Norway and Denmark to Paderborn. Of course we could as well see if we could make the Netherlands, Belgium and France before turning over Italy and Switzerland back to Germany. :rolleyes:

EDIT: On our tour we didn't care too much about real world political situations, didn't we? Our simming world is friendly and peaceful.

• Upvote 1

Farlis    132
vor 52 Minuten, FlyingAxx sagte:

I share your opinion. And then we could go along East Africa (the Kibo is a must), along the River Nil, via Cairo and Athens to Moscow. Then around the Baltic Sea and via Finland, Norway and Denmark to Paderborn. Of course we could as well see if we could make the Netherlands, Belgium and France before turning over Italy and Switzerland back to Germany. :rolleyes:

EDIT: On our tour we didn't care too much about real world political situations, didn't we? Our simming world is friendly and peaceful.

And how many legs should that take? It's already hard enough  to reach Paderborn within 10 500nm legs from Capetown which is were all you seem to be wanting to head. 

I know I'm in the minority here guys, but lets stay a bit more focused on reaching the end instead of getting sidetracked more and more.

The name is "round the world" not "zig-zag around the world" ;)

nealmac    244
vor 52 Minuten, FlyingAxx sagte: I share your opinion. And then we could go along East Africa (the Kibo is a must), along the River Nil, via Cairo and Athens to Moscow. Then around the Baltic Sea and via Finland, Norway and Denmark to Paderborn. Of course we could as well see if we could make the Netherlands, Belgium and France before turning over Italy and Switzerland back to Germany. :rolleyes:

And how many legs should that take? It's already hard enough  to reach Paderborn within 10 500nm legs from Capetown which is were all you seem to be wanting to head. 

I know I'm in the minority here guys, but lets stay a bit more focused on reaching the end instead of getting sidetracked more and more.

The name is "round the world" not "zig-zag around the world"

To be honest I don't think we can make it home in 10 legs from Cape Town either. But I'm happy enough to add another 10 legs. In fact I'd like to go north a bit too if possible. 20 legs. 30 legs. Even 40 legs. I'm in no rush to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nealmac    244
On 24.10.2016 at 2:05 AM, nealmac said: Ending in South Africa looks to be the longest of the 3 options, so I went for that one.

I like the sound of that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sideout    24
2 hours ago, FlyingAxx said:

I like the sound of that!  Nice one Flying :)

dcda    116

3 hours ago, pasterke said:

and after this tour we start a new one , maybe in the opposite direction :lolsign_s:

When I cast my vote, I was expecting several more set of legs, not only two.  But, on consideration, I can see an reasoned position to leave Africa mostly alone now, and use that as the direction for the (hypothetical) next around-the-world tour. -- Azores, Canaries, Africa, Ascension, or some such thing is one option.

11 hours ago, FlyingAxx said:

we could go along East Africa (the Kibo is a must), along the River Nil, via Cairo and Athens to Moscow. Then around the Baltic Sea and via Finland, Norway and Denmark to Paderborn. Of course we could as well see if we could make the Netherlands, Belgium and France before turning over Italy and Switzerland back to Germany

The reverse of this route, is another possibility for a potential second journey.

It is not that I am in a rush to finish the trip.  But, Toby said "two sets of legs."  He has been doing us a service by taking the lead.  Maybe we should leave a little out of this trip to save something for "the next."

FlyingAxx    129
24 minutes ago, dcda said:

He has been doing us a service by taking the lead.  Maybe we should leave a little out of this trip to save something for "the next."

Actually, I thought about poor Toby as well. He's doing a really good job, specifically as he wrote a while ago about has upcoming shortage of time. Furthermore I'm in the lucky situation that I fulfilled a even more extended trip still under FS9 and (almost) the same bunch of guys sticks at the moment in Australia (going west from YAYE) doing the same and even much more detailed tour again, depending on the distance, in average three to six hops in two hours each Sunday evening. We're using FS Host and TeamSpeak.

To make it short: I don't need it as a trigger for flying farther than the visual contact to the own steeple, but I like this forum and how it works.