Can I enter a STAR directly into the MCDU somehow?

tup61

Afaik the only way to enter a STAR is to select the destination in the left MCDU, select the landing runway and then the desired STAR and transition. However, I am using ProATC for ATC and since their last update the required informations is given too late: seems to be more realistic somehow... This means I have to add the STAR into the plan BEFORE ATC tells me what runway to use. By the time I get that information from ATC I already passed the starting point of the STAR. So I was wondering if there is a way to select or enter a STAR directly...? 

ProATC will actually give you an expected approach, runway and if appropriate, a STAR and/or a transition. This can be found on the left hand side of the moving map AND within the ProATC onscreen menu system within your sim. You can use this to program your arrival in plenty of time. Just be aware than not all approaches have STARS or transitions, in which case you don't need to enter one into the MCDU. They may also give you a vectored approach.

Sometimes (like in real life) ProATC will deviate from the expected approach and you will need to reconfigure, but this is not usually the case.

Yes, thanks, but I know about the information on the moving map and the menu system but I bought ProATC to TELL me what to do etc. In the previous version ProATC would tell me the runway, STAR and transition in one go but in the latest version it first only tells you which STAR to expect and a long time later, and often way too late, it tells you the runway and transition (without repeating the STAR). I liked the old way better because I could enter everything into the MCDU in one go and on time. Now I have to look into the menu and look it up. Anyway, this seems to be the new way and I will have to live with it. Someone already said this is more realistic and usually, at least in Europe, the STAR also tells you which runway you may expect (by looking on the charts). But well, I liked the old method. Realism has its price, apparently. ;)

P.S. I am using some sort of new workflow now with ProATC (after some advice and tips on AVSIM) and I have to say I am actually beginning to like it as it is now. In fact, I am beginning to like it even more than the old version. At my age it apparently takes a bit longer to get used to new things... ;)

I don't follow you. I also have the new version, and for the entire flight it is showing me the expected landing information (STAR, runway etc). So I haven't had any problems entering it in time.

21 hours ago, nealmac said:

I don't follow you. I also have the new version, and for the entire flight it is showing me the expected landing information (STAR, runway etc). So I haven't had any problems entering it in time.

The problem was that ATC didn't TELL me (audio) what to do in time. They have changed the procedures. This means that instead of listening to ATC telling you what runway and transition to use on time, you have to look at the inflight menu now. ATC will tell you what runway and transtition to use later on but often that is too late. But anyway, the problem is solved.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

Archived