Annual poll on platform

Aerosoft Team [Inactive Account]

What is your standard simulator  

1727 members have voted

1. 1. What is the flight simulator you mainly use (multiple answers possible)

• FSX:SP2
    • FSX:STEAM
    • FS2004
    • P3D V2
    • P3D V3
    • X-Plane 9
    • X-Plane 10
  2. 2. Do you think you will be switching platforms in the next 6 months?

• Yes, to FSX
    • Yes, to P3D V3
    • Yes, to X-Plane 10
    • Yes to another Flight Simulator
    • Nope, happy as a clam with my current platform.
    • Yes to X-Plane 11

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am running FSX ACC very smooth with stable Frames. So no need to change for me.
And i love my Airports with AES.
If AES comes for P3D or P3D will be an 64bit programm, than i think i will give it an try...

2 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Keep in mind that hardware has nothing to do with OOM (assuming you had 4 GB of mem), it's all software that needs memory,

I fully agree! My point was that a 'clean' installation of FSX on a mid-range PC with nothing but the 'HIGHMEM' tweak is more than capable of running your Frankfurt scenery, despite the claims by some customers that it is impossible to use... :-)

There's one sim missing in the poll and that's P3D v1. Yes, that one did exist too and I remember when P3D v2 was introduced some people did not understand that their add-ons were not compatible with P3D v2 when it said they were compatible with P3D. But P3D was not the same as P3D v2.

The best thing about P3D v1 is the full compatibility with FSX, every add-on for FSX works flawless in P3D v1. This was less the case with P3D v2. Basically P3D v1 was FSX SP3.

vor 3 Minuten, XP-Flieger sagte:

Does it support Addons? Main difference between AeroflyFS2 and FSX/P3D/XP is that it covers only a tiny region. So not really a replacement for them.

There is an SDK and so it does, However, addon developers (in fact all I know) are still reluctant to develop for it as the user base is small yet. But in fact it does support addons, even freeware developers could request the SDK (it's still in beta but will be openly available when complete and stable). As far as I know the SDK provides at least tools for addon scenery and some kind of Simconnect-like interface, at present.

Best regards, Michael

vor 3 Minuten, XP-Flieger sagte:

Sounds nice, thanks for information! I think the tiny coverage is the main reason for the small userbase. I saw a video a few months ago. It looks very nice, simliar to X-Plane. But I missed some things like car traffic. Well, it's hard to get a piece of the cake for a small developer.

Without going off-topic, it's still missing a lot. Actually, it looks quite different to P3D as well as XP -  to the better and to the worse yet. But I find it a refreshingly different approach.

Kind regards, Michael

Still on FSX:SP2.

But I am turning into one of those FS9 users I used to hate back in the day, because they did not keep if with times, which makes me quite a hypocrite in hindsight.

Why I being stuck on an old platform:

• Never have performance problems with FSX (stable, good FPS, never OOMs, well optimized).
  • Old version of EzDok with some of my own camera mods and custom behavior, not compatible with newer stuff.
  • Have to re-purchase my PMDG aircraft for a hefty fee.

But the biggest reason:

• The lack of animated jetways on many (legacy) sceneries due to the continued reliance on AES, without a universally adopted alternative/successor.

If those pain-points are addressed, I'll switch to P3Dv3 in a heartbeat. :)

Very happy with P3D v3.5 and as soon as SimStarter NG is compatible I will update to v3.4, too many scenery packages installed to update without it,

but I am really not in too much of a rush to do that at the present time.

Jim Hodkinson

P3D V3 (moved from FSX steam edition about an year ago..)

- Most immersive platform in terms of flight ops, weather, seasons etc

- Comprehensive add-on base. Name an immersion and most likely you will find an add-on available for it. (80% of them here at Aerosoft !!)

- Going in directions where latest technologies can be on-boarded

- We have continuous updates (in a sensible direction)  to both core-sim and SDK

Well, what complains can one have really ?

Regards

Prayog

vor 3 Stunden , DetCord sagte:

To be perfectly honest though, the stats here among the user base are somewhat skewed by the forum user base itself.

Maybe that's a feature rather than a bug? Users in the forum represent active (addon) customers not just mere simulator downloaders.

Kind regards, Michael

Well I think X-plane is more smooth and that is a bit better and more joy and less frustration, even I run the other sims for testing, but also the benefit of X-plane is a cross OS simulator.

But now I have tested so much by FSX and other sims, I just found things just like to cause problems as you install more and more add-ons mainly aircrafts and weather programs (some airports due to the design and helping modules) There are many factors to that and I spend a lot of time trying to find the main cause of the problems, why you often install add-ons and they might work fine and then after next install does not work as before.

That has just caused more and more problems as the time passes by, so in the end you get tired of those issues and a sim that runs fine at the start, suddenly after some add-ons does not run as good, and you have to try to find the main problem and why you spend more time trying to find the main problem then flying. That´s also why X-plane so far has been more of a joy, and more painless even there are things in X-plane, I dont like as that is not real for a plane but that is another story, but FSX was also not perfect right. :-) But you might know in x-plane you often can manually move a Aircraft to a folder or remove it and the sim runs just fine as before, same for airports.          

I say I would go for X-plane 11 if I can, but it depends as if they start doing a new pay subscription model as some have talked about, I don´t go in that direction, I have it fine by you buy something and you own it. The FS hobby can be expensive enough by pay subscription for navdata just to take one of the things. Then you got add-ons and all that, anyone tryeid to calculate how much you spend on the hobby, i did and I could nearly have had a new car by now after 10 years, and I am not kidding. So I am not a fan of a simulator that goes in that direction.

Archived