G'day,

Bought this great tool straight away after getting back into flight sim after many years, it has already proved invaluable to me and I'm keen to learn the whole thing in more depth.

One thing has been bothering me though. Without being an expert on the matter, I am certain the CASA fuel policy preset is incorrect. CASA outlines fuel requirements in CAAP (Civil Aviation Advisory Publication) 234-1, directly available here or visible through this link.

The doc states that even when an alternate need not be nominated the amount to be carried must be sufficient...:

(a) to enable the aircraft to fly from that point to a height of 1 500 feet above the destination aerodrome, make an approach and land; and
(b) to enable the aircraft to continue to fly at a cruising speed for a specified percentage of the time that it would take to fly in accordance with paragraph (a), being the percentage specified in Table 1 of this CAAP for that category and class of aircraft; and (c) to provide for contingencies of the kind described in section 6; and (d) to provide holding fuel to take account of any traffic delays of the kind mentioned in paragraph 4 (c); and (e) to provide the fixed fuel reserve that is specified in Table 2 of this CAAP

(c) to provide for contingencies of the kind described in section 6; and (d) to provide holding fuel to take account of any traffic delays of the kind mentioned in paragraph 4 (c); and (e) to provide the fixed fuel reserve that is specified in Table 2 of this CAAP.

(d) to provide holding fuel to take account of any traffic delays of the kind mentioned in paragraph 4 (c); and

(e) to provide the fixed fuel reserve that is specified in Table 2 of this CAAP.

The table in question states for turbo props and jets this variable reserve is 10%, which from what I can see, is not considered in the PFPX preset.

Provided I am not incorrect or mistaken (which is highly likely and I'm happy to be proved wrong), is it possible for this to be fixed?

Cheers,

Joe.

Hi mate,

The PFPX fuel policy editor allows you to change fuel policy to your heart's content.  Click on the little picture of the fuel bowser up in the top toolbar.

On my installation, it gives enroute reserve as 10% of trip fuel - which seems right.  Bear in mind a lot of airlines cap this at some figure or find a way to reduce it from actually being 10% on longer flights.

Cheers,

Rudy

There are a few limitations to circumvent but on the whole, pfpx is an excellent tool.

The only real limitation is in regard to VFR. PFPX doesn't plan 10% of a trip with an alternate. It'll only plan 10% of trip.

Youll discover this for yourself I'm sure. Do a search or ask questions on this forum as you have done already. We'll help.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks gents.

I did have a play around and can't quite get it correct. After trying I contacted the developers asking if they could fix this, no response just yet. I know it isn't a big deal for most but if they've gone to the trouble of providing a CASA specific fuel policy I hope they're willing to spend a few minutes to fix it!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived