High fuel consumption (A319 CFM)

darkplay

Hey guys,

I've been flying the A319 CFM lately and have noticed that the fuel consumption is a bit off. I've flown 3 flights, with a bit of tailwind and the predicted fuel at destination just keeps dropping through the flight. At the start of the flight though, the prediction matches the fuel at destination given in PFPX. I've lost approx. 600-1000kg per flight. I use PFPX for my fuel loading and have chosen the right model and right engines. Anyone facing these issues too? Btw, the A320 CFM doesn't have these issues.

Regards,

Har

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

the fuel consumption is a bit off again what exactly?

During the development we compared our figures against several real OFPs and against the performance calculations for the real plane we had available by our real life Airbus pilots.
Our data was spot on within the range possible within a flight simulation.

Have you checked that the data predicted by PFPX matched your actual flight conditions (temps, pressure altitudes, etc.)?

On 19.8.2016 at 2:41 PM, darkplay said:

I also noticed that during cruise the A319 consumes 38kg/min, while the A320 does 34kg/min... weird that the little one uses more...

This could be for example due to a different CG compared to the optimum CG for the specific model, different weather conditions, etc.

There are lots of reasons why you might use more fuel in one situation than the other.

Thanks for the reply, I use ASN for my weather. Where do I find the CG in PFPX? I also use FSPassengers to load the aircraft. Should I stop doing that and load the weights through the MCDU instead?

I do remember installing a hotfix because people complained that the airbus didnt slow down enough with the speedbrakes deployed.. It was a while ago though and I'm not sure if the patch 1.31 came out before or after that.. I have the 1.31.

I also noticed that the A319 I normally fly is a A319-112 with CFM56-5B4 engines. Aren't those meant for the A320? How can I change this config.? I'd like to fly a A319-111 with CFM56-5B5 engines.

Please login to display this image.

On 31.8.2016 at 4:15 PM, darkplay said:

Thanks for the reply, I use ASN for my weather. Where do I find the CG in PFPX? I also use FSPassengers to load the aircraft. Should I stop doing that and load the weights through the MCDU instead?

The CG is not included in any OFP layout, so PFPX can not calculate it.
We very much recommend loading through the right MCDU, if you load with other programs we can not assure accuracy.

23 hours ago, darkplay said:

I do remember installing a hotfix because people complained that the airbus didnt slow down enough with the speedbrakes deployed.. It was a while ago though and I'm not sure if the patch 1.31 came out before or after that.. I have the 1.31.

in that case you have messed up files.
That hotfix was for a very, very old version.

Please uninstall the Airbus completely, delete any remaining files of it within your FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes folder and then install it again using the 1.31 installer.

It isn't just the A319. The A318 burns fuel at an excessive rate too. Last week I tred the BA transatlantic flight. Eastbound from EINN to KJFK. According to the fuel planner the A318 should make it easily with an average 100 knot headwind (ASN was predicting a 60 knot headwind). The payload for the BA flight is low (32 seats only), leading to a ZFW of 42.6 tonnes. The fuel planner suggested 16.3 tonnes of fuel at FL360.  The aircraft didn't even make the coast of Newfoundland before running out of fuel. It seems the performance of the sim doesn't match the calculations of the fuel planner either.

On a previous occasion the A318 barely made JFK with nearly empty tanks (well under the final reserve) having departed Shannon with full tanks. Simbrief had proposed 18.75 tonnes of fuel on that occasion but I filled up just to be sure.

I have the latest Airbus version, installed in the manner recommended by Aerosoft.

Archived