Tobus

Where to go from Kathmandu?

Wider discussion: where do we go from Kathmandu?

North into the Asian interior? Never having flown there I'm kinda interested.

South into the Middle east and ultimately Africa? A trip around the world should touch all inhabited continents...

West towards Paderborn?

I'm interested in your opinions.

Before making that decision I need to study some weather diagrams. I have absolutely no clue how the weather is in these parts during November and December.

But I have a feeling we should head towards Africa if we want to avoid nasty winter weather. Although I very much would prefer to fly along the entire Himalaya and into the Karakorum as well.  So maybe take a route via the Arabian Peninsula.

As I said, I just don't know if this is the right time to do that.

I'd like to go both north AND south but if one is compromising the other, I'd rather go north and take in a bit of Russia, with the possibility of make maybe just 1 or 2 stops on the African continent.

For the time being, I am pleased that the tour continue and am not in a rush to be finished.

If I recall, the earlier discussion was "null" for central Asia, but I would still be happy to make some stops there. 

At the same time, I would also like to (get down to Cape Town or Durban.  Without that, for me there would remain a small "itch" that a large area were skipped.  (Written with the awareness that the airports in that region are, . . . scarce.)

In any case something in Egypt, I would think.

It would be an extra-long route, but the maximum I can imagine is:

- Skirting close to the Arabian Sea (maybe a stop in UAE, Qatar or Bahrain).

- Down the African east coast (option to Madegascar)

- Back up the West coast (Durban --> __ --> Luanda?) (West coast gives a shot at Ascension Is.)

- Tenerif

- Southern Spain (or Gibralter ;))

- some Mediterranean Island, maybe Corsica or Sicily.

- Egypt

- Between the Caspian Sea and Black Sea to Moscow

- Back to Paderborn through Eastern Europe

The shorter alternative is seems more like:

-- Caspian Sea area to Moscow

-- South to Egypt

-- Back to Paderborn through South-East Europe (or maybe some mid-Mediterranean stops)

vor 15 Stunden , Tobus sagte:

Wider discussion: where do we go from Kathmandu?

1. North into the Asian interior? Never having flown there I'm kinda interested.
  2. South into the Middle east and ultimately Africa? A trip around the world should touch all inhabited continents...
  3. West towards Paderborn?

<snip>

Hi Tobi,

thank you again for your great support on our WorldTour 2015. I think it's a good idea to put focus on the next but one batch of flights and get an idea about it's rough outline, while in parallel flying our next batch of flights towards Kathmandu.

Dear Tobi, dear WorldTour 2015+ flight simming fellows,

my preference would be #2 " South into the Middle east and ultimately Africa". As destination airports in Africa I would identify HAAB - Addis Ababa as well as HKJK - Nairobi.

As most northern area on the way from Kathmandu to Africa I would identify the area around Afghanistan / Tajikistan with destination airports such as

• OPPS - Peshaware
  • UTDD - Dushanbe
  • OAMS - Mazar-I-Sharif or
  • OAKB - Kabul.

I would expect a route going farer north towards Ural/Russia to be annoying since I expect there only a flat landscape covered with white snow.

For the remaining route layout between the above listed areas I'm quite open (e.g. OMDB - Dubai or OMAA - Abu Dhabi?).

Wish you always happy landings

Gernot

As a PM, I "could not care less".

As a pilot, I would like to fly to as much places I would normally not fly to. Having just crossed Africa in my Crete2Cape tour and having a whopping whole lot of Africa (despite nice utx+gex scenery, even more nice orbx after my complete re-install), I'd like to see a little of all instead of a whole lot of one. One of the best things of a grand tour like this is seeing the weather and landscape change over time. I simply love that!

So my personal preference would be a little of all instead of a lot of one thing:

- Up north, following the mountains from Nepal into India, Tadzikistan, Kirgisistan, Kazachstan, stopping in Russia at for instance Yekaterinenburg, but not all the way up to Siberia.

- Then South-west, to the Kaspian sea, Georgia, Turkey (let's avoid Syria ;-) ), Cairo and a bit further to see the pyramids, to for instance Khartoum, but not all the way down to Capetown.

- Then crossing central Africa, for instance to Nigeria, but not all the way to for instance Dakar.

- Then north again, crossing the Sahara, up to Greek isles or Italy and traverse "home" to Paderborn over the Alps.

I'm not very interested in the Middle East, as it's basically only just sand. Anyway's, my 2cts.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, nealmac said:

That sounds good to me as well Tobi. I'm also not in any rush to be finished.

Same here. As it stands, these 4 ways I've described could be used as batches, meaning something like 30-40 legs still, or 30-40 weeks nominally from now.

Still a lot of time to spend enjoying the trip.

• Upvote 1

On 15.8.2016 at 2:50 PM, Farlis said:

we should head towards Africa if we want to avoid nasty winter weather. Although I very much would prefer to fly along the entire Himalaya and into the Karakorum as well.  So maybe take a route via the Arabian Peninsula.

I'm supporting this plan...as long as we would pass Africa (not only the Maghreb!). Specifically the eastern part via Kenya and Tanzania is beautiful and I can remember that Madagascar had been nice already in FS9. Even if the majority would decide a different path I'm quite sure that I would plan a couple of extra legs in order to see Cape Town. :D

On 16.8.2016 at 2:54 AM, dcda said:

For the time being, I am pleased that the tour continue and am not in a rush to be finished.

This is true for me as well.

On 16/08/2016 at 1:54 AM, dcda said:

......, I would also like to (get down to Cape Town or Durban.  Without that, for me there would remain a small "itch" that a large area were skipped.

Yep, with you on this one!  It takes as long as it takes as far as I'm concerned, but it would be a shame not to do Africa.

Hi guyz,

Here are a few proposals, from a rather short to longer route, from Siberia to Africa.

1) A route thru Caucasus with scenic montainous terrains

caucasus route.jpg

2) A route thru Siberia, from Irkutsk to Moscow and back to Lippstadt.

Siberian Route.jpg

3) The longest route, around Africa.

African Route.jpg

Have good flights!

Philippe

• Upvote 2

My feeling is that we should try to finish this more or less exactly two years after we started it. Which would point more in the direction of your first proposal. We started in February 2015, so I'm very much in favor of ending it in February 2017. 

However, since winter is not exactly a celebratory season I'd go for an extension to April, which would make proposition no. 2 the better option. 

If we can now also find a way of incorporationg a little african flavour instead of flying into Russia in the middle of winter, that would be the best solution.

I guess we can't have everything. So if it comes down to a choice, I'd rather be closer to an exact two year window and give up the possibility to visit a few places for that.

Thanks Philippe, you obviously put a lot of effort into that. I like option 3, the longest one. I'm still firmly of the opinion that we don't need an end date and I'm happy to keep this going as long as possible.

The problem with that approach is that little by little more people lose interest and time to follow along.

Just look at the poll numbers of the early leg threads. The last batch was flown by 14 people, according to the poll. The first few batches were flown by over 70 people.

So the longer this takes, and the less we care about setting an actual end date, a goal to aim for, other than eventually going back to Paderborn, the less people will stay on board.

I think it's safe to assume that most people who have made it this far are enjoying the trip and aren't going to lose interest. Lets not forget that some people are straggling behind due to real life issues, and being late starters. Also, I would guess that not everybody voted in the poll. I know I forgot to add my vote in plenty of threads. What I'm saying is, that the figure of 14 is probably not accurate.

1 hour ago, pasterke said:

even though I'm the only one I will continue to fly even though it will take another five years :cheers_s:

that'll be two of us then. Enjoy the ride, long may it continue.

On 31.8.2016 at 17:13, Philouplaine sagte:

Hi guyz,

Here are a few proposals, from a rather short to longer route, from Siberia to Africa.

1) A route thru Caucasus with scenic montainous terrains

<snip>

2) A route thru Siberia, from Irkutsk to Moscow and back to Lippstadt.

<snip>

3) The longest route, around Africa.

African Route.jpg

Have good flights!

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

Thanks a lot for your proposals. You are really supportive on this tour!

I erased the first two proposals because in my mind, they are not real alternatives.;) As well I entered the data of your third proposal into SkyVector to get a better impression of the tour:

VNKT
 VIDP OPKC OOMS OISS OIII OICK OKBK OMDB OOSA OYSN HAAB HTKJ FWKI FQBR FQMA FAPE FACT

FYWB FNMO FNLU FZAA FKKD DNMM DIAP GFLL GOOY GCTS GMMX LXGB LFBO  
EDLP

PhilouplaneProposal_AfricanRoute.jpg

And finally I worked on a modification of your tour in the beginning section until HAAB - Addis Abeba Bole Airport:

VNKT
 VIDP OPRN OAKB UTDD OIMM OIII ORBI OLBA HECA OEMA OYSN HAAB HTKJ FWKI FQBR FQMA FAPE

FACT FYWB FNMO FNLU FZAA FKKD DNMM DIAP GFLL GOOY GCTS GMMX LXGB LFBO
EDLP

MyProposal4TheEnd.JPG

Dear all,

I understood that the majority of the remaining hard core WorldTour2015 team (~ 15 pilots) is not under time pressure to finalize this tour, however, the majority is looking forward taking the necessary time it takes to make tour including Africa.

While we are discussing the final route for the WorldTour2015, Philippe, you could start planning the first batch of flights for the second tour around the globe.:D I'll follow you for sure!

Wish you all always happy landings

Gernot

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gazoeller said:

Dear all,

I understood that the majority of the remaining hard core WorldTour2015 team (~ 15 pilots) is not under time pressure to finalize this tour, however, the majority is looking forward taking the necessary time it takes to make tour including Africa.

While we are discussing the final route for the WorldTour2015, Philippe, you could start planning the first batch of flights for the second tour around the globe.:D I'll follow you for sure!

Wish you all always happy landings

Gernot

Haha, brilliant Gernot :lolsign_s:

• Upvote 1

On 1-9-2016 at 11:59 AM, nealmac said:

I think it's safe to assume that most people who have made it this far are enjoying the trip and aren't going to lose interest. Lets not forget that some people are straggling behind due to real life issues, and being late starters. Also, I would guess that not everybody voted in the poll. I know I forgot to add my vote in plenty of threads. What I'm saying is, that the figure of 14 is probably not accurate.

Well, since the poll, together with flight updates in the batch threads, are my lifeline to handing out discounts, that would be stupid ;-)

Great work Philippe. Although I'm kinda in the middle. I'd like to go up to Yekatarinenburg. Africa is great but I would not venture all the way along the coast.

And a continuing world trip: you guys are mental :lolsign_s: