Need Approach Help

AZWildk4t

I am extremely frustrated with this aircraft. I am at the point of abandoning it and returning to the B737 because I can't get the Appr and Final Phases working correctly. I have followed the Step-by-Step guide several times and watched several videos on Youtube.

During approach, the LS button is illuminated and the Approach Phase is active. Co-pilot announces localizer alive so I select the LOC. This seems to be working without problem. Then the co-pilot announces Glideslope Alive so I then select the APPR button. However, the plane will not follow the glideslope. So now I am way above the glide slope and decent too fast to try and recapture it. Of course I haven't been successful in recapturing it and basically get so frustrated that I shut off FSX.

Any help would be appreciated before I pull the plug on this aircraft.

Hi FraPre,

I was flying into LAX (Los Angeles International). I am in Managed Mode.  I've had the same issue into KDEN. For whatever reason I cannot have it follow the glideslope.

• Deputy Sheriffs

If you are able to reproduce this problem please provide screenshots of your PFD, ND and the FCU.

Furthermore tell the exact airport and runway you are approaching in the shots, and if it is a stock airport in your sim or an add-on.

Have you updated the AIRAC cycle since installing the Airbus?

We need pictures from your PFD, ND, RAD NAV Page, FCU.

You have the ILS identifer in magenta left below the speed tape, the ILS scales for LOC and GS with the diamonds

With push APPR you have in the FMA the LOC and G/S in blue, change this from blue to green with alive LOC and GS signals?

• 1 month later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs
3 hours ago, Floria said:

i have to report that issue too, sometimes it happens that the ALT still hold even the path is going down and all settings done well..

Please provide the information being requested in post #4. Otherwise there is way of helping you. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

The main problem with no GS intercept is that you are above the GS most of the time. Being in managed mode does not say anything in this case. Descending in managed mode does not mean everything will work. The GS intercept point of an ILS starts at a certain altitude and distance from the runway. Being at this altitude beforehand is paramount. If a managed mode does not get you there you should revert to a selected mode or AP off. Remember you are the pilot in command, not the auto flight system. 

Good luck and please report back with any further GS problems. 

• 5 weeks later...

My Airbus doesn't like EGLL ILS. It stays at about 2000ft and ignores the GS in spite of selecting App and/or LOC. With some airports the Airbus behaves but not all. I ran an identical flight with the PMDG  737 and it gets it right every time. All the  forum replies on this topic accuse the user of errors but I believe the Aerosoft Airbus has serious software errors and I look forward to an update which fixes this problem before I buy any other Aerosoft product. Just for completeness here is my flight plan including Sids Stars and Transactions.

Vienna to Heathrow:

LOWW MOTI1A MOTIX UL610 PABSA UQ610 INBED UL610 BATTY UL608 DENUT UL610 LAM LAM EGLL. Have a try and see if it works for you!

• Deputy Sheriffs

We do not need the flightplan but pictures. I few all 4 ILS's in EGLL (which are not in your flightplan btw) and had no problems. 

We do not say it must be user error but this is the most likely reason as most are refering to the B737 and fail to supply screenshots. An Airbus does not fly like a Boeing with regard to the AFS. 

If you want help then post some screenshots of the problem and let us help you.

ps, how did you end up in 2000' in the first place?

• 2 months later...

After flying the Airbus a few more times, I have figured this out now. Hit the LOC button when PM says Localizer alive and the APPR button when Glideslope alive. I have had cases where the Glideslope is alive before Localizer. In his case I just select APPR and never LOC. Have had a problem since

Just to add -- SOP once cleared for the approach is to just press APPR and engage the second autopilot. On a normal ILS there should be no need to engage LOC separately -- normally you would only use this button if you were carrying out a localizer-only approach.

11 hours ago, skelsey said:

Just to add -- SOP once cleared for the approach is to just press APPR and engage the second autopilot. On a normal ILS there should be no need to engage LOC separately -- normally you would only use this button if you were carrying out a localizer-only approach.

Perfectly correct, unless you're cleared for an approach but you are between 17 and 25 miles out, in which case you would arm the localiser then arm the approach when you're within 17nm. Obviously, outside of 25nm you wouldn't arm anything.

• 2 months later...

I've finally managed to follow the flight plan descent into the airport. Just engage the speed brake when the plane starts to fly too fast and keep it there until the flaps routine to prevent runaway.

Archived