Piper Super Cub

Chief

I just bought the SuperCub,and the first time I flew it LO and BEHOLD no GPS. I rely on the GPS a lot as I fly in the Bush in Alaska and depend on the GPS to locate the landing strips, when I have low visbility ( which is often).

If I would have known that the Super Cub didnt have a GPS, I would not have bought it, is there a money back gurantee??

I know one thing I will not recommend the Aerosoft Super Cub to my flying buddies.

Chief

Hello Chief,

I have just edited my panel to include the default GPS 295 (this is in FS9) at a loss of the pop up Altimeter.

As it seems you want your money back and are not going to recommend this aircraft to your friends, would I be correct in thinking it's to late for you to want this edit to fix your needs :?:

Heading to bed now but will check back tomorrow.

Hi Chief,

It'd be a shame to see this gorgeous little plane get negative press just because it doesn't have a certain instrument. Not only that, it'd be unfair and very unprofessional IMHO. What did pilots do before GPS?

Besides, surely pilots don't get their PPL because they can use GPS? Isn't good old fashioned map navigation part of flight training? A real bush pilot ought to be able to find his way without GPS first. "Needing" GPS is like saying you're going camping - in a mobile hime... or cross country - in a Cayenne... or flying - in a 747.

Not only that, the Aerosoft plane has been reduced to half price after many years of successful sales. And it really is a gorgeous plane to fly.

I do hope that you're not one of "those people" who'll use a negative feature to get his money back - and then still have the plane installed years later.

I am sorry - that wasn't quite "politically correct" of me, but I'll leave it said, Chief, because even if you aren't, there are folk who do that, and it's them that spoil the fun for the rest of us.

No Chris, I am not "one of those people". I know I cant get my money back and wont even try to. I am not going to go out and post anything about the Supercub. But if anyone asks me about it I will tell them I am disappined that it doesnt have a GPS.

I apoligize for sounding so negative I realize I was over-reacting and one reason I guess is because I have bought other Aerosoft products which have always been outstanding.

Nick, please give me more information on how you edited your panel. I really do enjoy flying the Supercub, so if I can fix that problem I will fly it a lot more.

Aagin I do apoligize for overreacting :oops:

Cheers,

Chief

No worries, nor am I... :wink:

Actually, you could get your money back and quite legally... Companies in Germany have to abide by German "net" laws - one of them enforces refunds. I don't know the exact words off the top of my head, but if you have a justified case for a refund, a German company must give you your money back.

I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me :)

That's more like it Chief. I think the fact you asked for help and then slammed it in the same post doesn't make one feel like helping, but let's face it we all have bad days :wink:

Ok, this Panel.cfg attached below drops into your "Flight Simulator 9AircraftAerosoft Piper Super Cubpanel" folder, or where ever you have it installed. I think all the Cubs are aliased to this panel. Please back up your original.

Now I added the following.

[Window Titles]

Window01=GPS

and

[Window01]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=545,354

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=8

visible=0

ident=4

window_size= 0.700, 0.700 (I chose this size as it suited my needs)

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_295, 0,0,272,177

This gave me the GPS 295. I had to bump all the rest of the numbers up as I slotted this in "window01" position. So the original "window01" became "window02". This meant we lost VOR Reciever pop up guage, so I swapped it with the Altimeter which I didn't feel I would need as a pop up.

I hope that's clear and you now have fun with your GPS which can be activated in 2D and VC by hitting shift+2.

I'm not clever enough to paste it into the panel, but if that's what you require I'm sure somebody will help.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
I know one thing I will not recommend the Aerosoft Super Cub to my flying buddies.

A little harsh

The Super Cub is my favorite GA plane of all and Aerosoft did a awesome job with it, I know most people don't put GPS in their Super Cubs but they might carry along a hand held one. Alot of bush pilots I know try to make thier Cubs as light as possible so they can get into some hard spots, and they are striped of instruments that are not necessary like a GPS, ect...

Flying using a GPS takes all the fun out of flying GA planes. I for one, during my training refused to use a GPS. Good old maps, a watch and the flight computer disk is all you need. Not only that, your VFR, so you must be able to pinpoint your location every 30mins (here anyway). If you lost power to the GPS, what would you do?

I'm sorry, Ryan, but comments like yours really bug the living daylights out of me.

Why are we not flying aircraft with flags and lights for signalling, a piece of string on the windscreen to determine balance in turns and fixed props, fixed gear with no suspension? Because time and technology moves on, that's why. Pilot workload reduction can, and does, reduce the accident rate.

You now cannot buy a stock Cessna 172 without a glass cockpit. The reason is that when Cessna offered it as standard, no-one bought "steam" gauges any more. As in zero, not one sale, so they dropped it. What happens when the glass cockpit loses power? That was actually my first question, but I've not read an accident report saying it has happened yet.

When flying at night, you carry a torch and spare batteries for it. When using a hand held GPS, you carry it and spare batteries for it. If the GPS is panel mounted, it is exactly the same as any other radio. When the screen goes black or it announces "NO SIGNAL" (far more likely. ;)), you pull out the current chart you are legally obliged to carry and quickly find the last position your GPS said you were at, or you use other navigational instruments to find your position. Last option, you get on the radio and ask for help.

You, personally, enjoy the navigation part of flying. Not everyone does. Some like the sensations or the view and find accurate navigation to be a necessary chore to do the things they do enjoy. Some don't do it at all and cause all sorts of problems for other people as a result when they get lost.

During training, I didn't have GPS. I trained before they were affordable. I learned to navigate the hard way. All of the aircraft I trained in are now fitted with pretty good GPSs. I would still look out the window, though, and identify towns and features. So to answer your question, if the GPS packs up, I'll call it a useless piece of kit and drop back to the four other methods I have of getting where I'm going safely which I had to demonstrate to a satisfactory standard to pass my last proficiency test! :roll:

Ian P.

CAA PPL/IMC.

Quite interesting opinions here. I just hope we can keep this civilised. My opinion is that navigation IS a part of flying. Do not navigate in some way, you will get lost. Can't get around that one, if you like navigation or not. And you might as well pick the one that gives you the most fun (and perhaps a feeling of accomplishment).

Then, on the 172 glass cockpit, I did a search on airliners.net and I found that below the two glass instruments you have 3 standby instruments. Very likely operating on a vacuum pump (and of course pitot static). There you have primary flight info for when the generator and battery dies (wich actually happened to me, so its not really a non occurence).

During my PPL/CPL training there was never an instructor who allowed the use of GPS, in the States nor in Europe, proficiency in pilotage and dead reackoning was of major importance, even while they were fitted.

I think you two guys mean the same thing, but putting it a little different? I don't quite understand why his comments quote 'bug the living daylights out of me' unquote. I think refusing the use of GPS during training is good practise.

Onno

And because titles are important in this thread:

FAA/CAA CPL SE/ME/IR MCC (ex FAA CFII) JAA B1.1 AML

It's not the training without GPS that bugs me, I think we're all agreed on that - things do go wrong in aircraft and GPS systems are rather annoyingly prone to losing signals (far more often than they run out of battery, in my experience!)

Basically, a GPS is an aid, not a primary navigation system.

What bugged me about NJ_Flyer's post is the first statement: "Flying using a GPS takes all the fun out of flying GA planes" - that simply isn't true. It may be for some people, but certainly not for all, which is a blanket statement which is what bugs me. If we're getting personal on this, then I'm quite happy bashing a circuit, which needs no VOR, NDB or GPS... I just enjoy flying and, with one of the aircraft I used to fly, the challenge of actually making the darned thing go where you want it to and not where it's oddly positioned trim tabs want it to! :lol:

Ultimately, what rattles my cage is the "I'm better than you because I do things the way they did in the 1950s" attitude that a lot of real world pilots come out with. It's like the people in FS who insist on hand flying everywhere without using the autopilot - it doesn't make them a better pilot, it just means that they're a lot more tired at the end of a flight. I'll use everything available to me to make a flight successful and safe, whether it's old technology or new. Visual navigation overcomes both as being essential whenever you can physically do it. Unlike VOR/NDB vs GPS, it's not an option!

So yes, we're all agreeing on the important stuff, just differing on the semantics. I'm sorry I snapped before, it was uncalled for. I guess I need to cover over my raw nerves a little better. :roll:

Cheers,

Ian P.

Just for the record I did not state that I was better that you.

Obviously you and I have very differnt opinions on fun flying. Thats not a problem to me. We both enjoy flying at the end of the day.

The problem some pilots face when navigating is that they become complacent with the GPS system and dont bother with maps. Then one day when the GPS fails (for what ever reason) they may have great difficulty in dead reakoning navigation.

The problem some pilots face when navigating is that they become complacent with the GPS system and dont bother with maps. Then one day when the GPS fails (for what ever reason) they may have great difficulty in dead reakoning navigation.

That's the biggest problem, and why (certainly in the UK) most flying clubs insist on regular checkrides. Even if they aren't legally required, most insurers insist on them here. Unfortunately, not everyone gets them and the result is lousy airmanship in many areas, not only lack of navigation skills (although the get on the radio and ask for help still works... ;))

I really am sorry, I did actually put in there that I wasn't accusing you of saying that and evidently edited it out when I chopped big chunks out of the post before submitting it and moved that final line to the end. I'm going to hide now before I look an even bigger twit. :oops:

Ian P.

• 7 months later...

Hello all, I have a question that is related to this,kind of. :?

I have the A-10 running in FSX and would like to have the GPS appear as well,I have tried to change the buttons for "show panel 3" thinking that would allow me to do so with the GPS but that only still gives me instrument view.Or is there a way to replace the instrument view with the GPS by swaping files?

Has anybody out there attempted to get the GPS working in the A-10?

Any insight into this would be great. 8)

Randy